Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #61
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Scenes in House of the Undying should be pretty trippy.
Was that book 2? I was thinking it was in 3, I really need to re-read when book 6 gets close to becoming reality.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #62
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just looking forward the the attire once she reaches the city
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #63
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Was that book 2? I was thinking it was in 3, I really need to re-read when book 6 gets close to becoming reality.
Yes, the Undying part is in book 2.

Dany's story in book 2 is pretty boring up until the end. Actually like I said in the other thread, the increments are so small and interwoven it often feels like nothing happened over a whole book and then you get to the end and realize how far things have gone since the previous book.

In book 2 all Dany does is wander the desert, find a lost city, goes to Quarth. meets Xaro and Pyat Pree and then burn down the undying. She also meets Ser Barristan the Bold for the first time right at the end IIRC.

Tyrion/Cersei/Stannis are really the main stories in book 2. Most of the story revolves around Kings Landing and the impending battle with Stannis. There is also quite a bit of set up for the power stuggle in Kings Landing going forward. I'd maybe throw Theon into that lot as his and Bran's storyline have some action.

The Arya/Jon/Dany storylines are pretty much all set up for stuff that is yet to come. The Cat and Brienne story has a few important parts, like the scenes with Renly, but mostly is all just set up for the end of book 2 story with Cat/Brienne/Jaime, which continues in the books 3-5.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #64
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget the introduction of Strong Belwas, he rules (and likes eating candied locusts)!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #65
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been following much of the casting news, who did they get for Strong Belwas?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #66
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Just as a note to my above post, it appears that Ser Barristan isn't revealed until book 3. I have about 100 pages left in book 2 so I thought it was gonna happen right away.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #67
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't been following much of the casting news, who did they get for Strong Belwas?
Nothing confirmed, but the rumour is his character isn't going to make the cut for the tv series.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #68
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Nothing confirmed, but the rumour is his character isn't going to make the cut for the tv series.
Really? WTF, he is a minor character with a fairly major role in a few points. Mainly the slaying of the champion and getting poisoned.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #69
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Really? WTF, he is a minor character with a fairly major role in a few points. Mainly the slaying of the champion and getting poisoned.

While I agree, I can see how they could work around it. They have taken other liberties while still staying true to the over-arching story.

And I did notice Jaime with a speech about how he is being dragged around and not left in a castle. Is this a hint that for the series aren't going to be visiting Riverrun anytime soon?
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #70
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
They can poison any character or red shirted ensign to achieve the plot point.

And killing the Champion does not have any plot significance besides only showing how much of a badass Belwas is.

Strong Belwas is pretty trivial to the plot.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #71
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I agree, I can see how they could work around it. They have taken other liberties while still staying true to the over-arching story.

And I did notice Jaime with a speech about how he is being dragged around and not left in a castle. Is this a hint that for the series aren't going to be visiting Riverrun anytime soon?
The word is season 3 for Riverrun to make its debut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #72
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yes, the Undying part is in book 2.

Dany's story in book 2 is pretty boring up until the end. Actually like I said in the other thread, the increments are so small and interwoven it often feels like nothing happened over a whole book and then you get to the end and realize how far things have gone since the previous book.

In book 2 all Dany does is wander the desert, find a lost city, goes to Quarth. meets Xaro and Pyat Pree and then burn down the undying. She also meets Ser Barristan the Bold for the first time right at the end IIRC.

Tyrion/Cersei/Stannis are really the main stories in book 2. Most of the story revolves around Kings Landing and the impending battle with Stannis. There is also quite a bit of set up for the power stuggle in Kings Landing going forward. I'd maybe throw Theon into that lot as his and Bran's storyline have some action.

The Arya/Jon/Dany storylines are pretty much all set up for stuff that is yet to come. The Cat and Brienne story has a few important parts, like the scenes with Renly, but mostly is all just set up for the end of book 2 story with Cat/Brienne/Jaime, which continues in the books 3-5.
Dany's story up until the end of Book 5 is pretty boring. It's essential but boring. Mostly a function of bad writing.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #73
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Dany's story up until the end of Book 5 is pretty boring. It's essential but boring. Mostly a function of bad writing.
I've read where a lot of people really enjoy Dany's story through that section. Just because it wasn't as interesting to you doesn't mean it was bad writing.

It seems that everyone seems to have a few favourite characters and really enjoy those storylines while the other storylines drag. But it also seems there is no firm consensus on the favourite characters.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Dany's storyline but I don't think it is bad, I just prefer the other characters.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #74
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I've read where a lot of people really enjoy Dany's story through that section. Just because it wasn't as interesting to you doesn't mean it was bad writing.

It seems that everyone seems to have a few favourite characters and really enjoy those storylines while the other storylines drag. But it also seems there is no firm consensus on the favourite characters.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Dany's storyline but I don't think it is bad, I just prefer the other characters.
The major issue with her storyline is that the moment at the end of DWD is what we all expected to happen by book 2 or 3 or 4.

In the mean time Martin was forced (?) to fill in the time while #### happened in Westeros. And he couldn't just not mention Dany for four books while he filled in the gaps on the other side of the world.

Sort of like Bran and Arya. I know they will probably be key cogs in the last 2 books but a lot of times I think he gives them POV chapters just out of necessity. How weird would it be to not hear from either of them for 500 pages at a time?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #75
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The growth of Dany from girl to queen is essential to the story and it shouldn't be glossed over or rushed through. I don't have a problem with the pace of the story. GRRM just isn't a talented enough writer to make that story compelling. It's more of a personal journey of a girl turning to woman and then to ruler. Ultimately it could be very captivating. He just doesn't do it well.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #76
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the Dany storylines of her struggles to become the queen of her people and the problems with the harpys.

The storyline I didn't understand as a POV character was the dornishmen one. I don't understand why we had to read his chapters when he ended up with his face melted anyway.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #77
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The growth of Dany from girl to queen is essential to the story and it shouldn't be glossed over or rushed through. I don't have a problem with the pace of the story. GRRM just isn't a talented enough writer to make that story compelling. It's more of a personal journey of a girl turning to woman and then to ruler. Ultimately it could be very captivating. He just doesn't do it well.
While I tend to be sympathetic to that opinion, I know from reading other forums of other readers who found it highly captivating as it is.*shrug*

In reading some of the reviews for last night's episode, one of them mentioned something that I really agree with. The scene where Littlefinger and Cersei trade barbs about power. It didn't happen in the book and I would think Littlefinger would be much more veiled than to threaten Cersei like that. I'm not exactly sure why that scene was added.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #78
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The storyline I didn't understand as a POV character was the dornishmen one. I don't understand why we had to read his chapters when he ended up with his face melted anyway.
I think it was just so you could get a better idea of the politics inside the Free Companies. you get a view inside the Brave Companions and the Golden Company, but this is the only way to see inside what the rest of the companies are like.

And you get an idea how long some of these plans have been formulating; that even with King Robert on the throne there have always been numerous undercurrents working against him.

At least those are my guesses.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #79
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I enjoyed the Dany storylines of her struggles to become the queen of her people and the problems with the harpys.

Quote:
I think it was just so you could get a better idea of the politics inside the Free Companies. you get a view inside the Brave Companions and the Golden Company, but this is the only way to see inside what the rest of the companies are like.

And you get an idea how long some of these plans have been formulating; that even with King Robert on the throne there have always been numerous undercurrents working against him.

At least those are my guesses.
That's a solid answer, I was going to add you also get the poor bugger thinking "Oh, I'm on fire.".

The Dornish are the house I am really interested to watch play their cards, that Prince is playing the game strong.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #80
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This was my feeling about most of book 4, along with most of what happened with Brienne.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming