Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-25-2024, 11:37 PM   #161
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think Flames fans are some of the more resilient fans in the NHL. No matter how bad things get, we jump right back on the bandwagon as soon as the Flames win a couple of games.
I believe that's 'Stockholm Syndrome.'

Anyhoodles...winning is fun but this team? Sell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:02 AM   #162
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatMonkey View Post
For a while there, the team was fun to watch, and they were getting decent results (considering). Not anymore--just horrible.

I know he's not the (main) problem, but I can't wait for Markstrom to be a memory.
Not the main problem? He's probably the team's MVP this year. He's been great.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 12:26 AM   #163
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Yip. They're just pointing out what we have known for a long time.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:29 AM   #164
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m super sauced and still out getting more…sauced.

But wtf…they actually lost tonight?

Woof.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 12:33 AM   #165
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatMonkey View Post
I disagree. I think chuckles was gone the moment he signed the bridge, and the cards fell just right for him to bail early.

I don't think that it was necessarily Tkachuk's plan to leave. Apparently he was happy to sign an 8 year deal, but to bring back the same team, Treliving opted for a bridge instead. Maybe Treliving didn't want the 8x9 (rumoured at the time), as it was too much risk for Tkachuk? Treliving played hardball with the RFAs to the point most of his RFA re-signings were trotted out as big wins for the organization, while the UFA re-signings were big losses.

Anyway, that bridge did, however, give him all the power in the world, and after Gaudreau left, he exercised that power. There were a tonne of posts in that signing thread that worried about it.

I think after Gaudreau left, it just helped push Tkachuk in that direction. Maybe he made up his mind after the covid seasons when he couldn't cross the border? Maybe he realized that Calgary needed another high-end player or two, not one less, and felt that the team was taking too big of a step back? Probably a combination of things, including being able to pick his spot. Heck, maybe Bennett got in his ear about how fun life was in Florida, and how the move was a huge breath of fresh air for him.

All I know is that he was willing to sign here originally long-term, was instead given a contract that made him a (for all intents and purposes) a UFA rather than an RFA, and he exercised that leverage to the maximum.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 12:45 AM   #166
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pathetic 6-14 now when wearing Blasty the last two seasons after bringing it on as an official alternate jersey.

Scheduled for another 4 or 5 games this year as well.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:53 AM   #167
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This game is just further evidence that a rebuild needs to happen.

Calgary basically needs to out-work every team they play to get a W, with few exceptions in recent memory (Arizona being one of them). A bad bounce here or there that costs a goal is almost as good as a nail in the coffin, and that's what happened tonight. Calgary let their foot off of the gas, and Columbus just took advantage of it.

One more 'easy' game before the all-star break, but to a team that has some kind of a win streak going against Calgary for some reason.

Calgary just doesn't have enough top-end players. They need to play pedal to the metal at all times against most teams. Great teams have franchise-type players that can quickly turn a game, which is why they are called game-breakers. I love Coleman, and Sharangovich has been fantastic after his slow start, but these guys should be headlining the depth, rather than being the goal scoring leaders of the team.

Good amount of youth pushing up. Scouting and development is top-notch. I am not worried about this franchise being able to turn it around, but I do believe that "Will the Flames rebuild" is turning into "when the Flames rebuild".

Listening to Barn Burner earlier in the day, Boomer, Pinder and Warrener were all in agreement that if the Flames still believe in themselves, that they would play hard this game and get a W. Didn't happen, and we all saw them lift their foot off the gas for a while. I am not sure that proves that they don't believe any longer. Maybe this team simply believes it should come easier.

Maybe they are right. It should come easier. You shouldn't have to out-work every single team in order to get a win. It is downright impossible anyways. Lots of teams with top-end players also play hard all game - what happens then? You want top-end players to take a game over in a shift or two, and snatch that win. Flames just don't have those difference makers when the team is a bit flat.

Anyway, certainly lots of positives to take away from this game. Klapka shows patience with the puck and enters the zone 1 on 3, and ends up creating a chance for Mangiapane out of nothing. Zary and Coronato had great games. Kylington looked better and less rusty than I expected him to be - defended well for the most part, transitioned well, and skated well - what a good building block of a game for him.

One more game until the all-star break. I anticipate moves soon, and this team just told Conroy for 4 games in a row now that moves are required.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:54 AM   #168
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Not the main problem? He's probably the team's MVP this year. He's been great.
Hah. 1-1 game and then that idiocy happens? The $6 million dollar MVP strikes again.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:19 AM   #169
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

This edition of the Flames isn't committed to playing a full 60 minutes of hockey. All we hear from the players are excuses after excuses. Maybe Sutter was right about this team after all. Players got the coach fired and now they have no excuses for not playing a full 60 minutes.
Old 01-26-2024, 03:10 AM   #170
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Stunning how quickly this team has fallen.

111 points to 93 points to what is likely to be below 80 points. Next year likely worse.

The next 2 or 3 drafts are the single biggest factors that will determine the club's fate for the next decade.
Yeah, and let's hope they have a LOT more picks than the 20 they currently hold for the next three drafts.

Still blows my mind that a team this bad is up against the salary cap and has only 20 of their 21 picks for the 2024-26 drafts.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:28 AM   #171
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Trade him
He wins cup
Re-sign him
He teaches youth how to win cup
Youth leave Calgary
Win cups
You missed one step.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:53 AM   #172
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take less in trades and sell now. Weaken this team so they don't get as many flukey wins and actually have a chance at drafting someone who can help turn things around.

All these years of "playing for pride" has done nothing good for the franchise. It's a business, do what's best for the business to succeed.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:49 AM   #173
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly 3 other guys on the ice gave a way worse effort than him on that play.

It wasn't like he gave it away. The puck comes around to the wing, Gudbranson gets a stick on it, and somehow CBJ outnumbers Huberdeau 3-1 on that side of the ice even though we have a PP. Lindholm, Kadri, and Sharangovich all standing still and don't move their feet at all even though we don't have possession.

And he was the only one that even really attempted to get back, Sharangovich should have been dropping back to support but didn't when we didn't have possession and still didn't hustle back as hard as Huberdeau did.

Easy to blame him on that play since he was closest to the puck but he was the only Flame on the ice that actually tried on that play.
If you watch it again, the forwards who were down low actually go to make a line change. It was an abysmal effort to backcheck. That ain't on Huberdeau.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:03 AM   #174
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'll play the Tanner Jeanot card and leave it at that.

Well, pretty much everyone agrees Tampa massively overpaid, so there's always that hope. But one of the reasons Tampa overpaid was becuase of their cap crunch and there was some level of control over Jeannot, much like their trade of Hagel.

As an upcoming UFA, Lindholm doesn't have that going for him.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:33 AM   #175
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tampa likes to overpay for cheap depth players with term/control. Coleman, Hagel, Jeannot ... they target those kind of players to round out their middle six for little money. What we can offer at the deadline is vastly different.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 05:53 AM   #176
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Calgary just doesn't have enough top-end players. They need to play pedal to the metal at all times against most teams. Great teams have franchise-type players that can quickly turn a game, which is why they are called game-breakers. I love Coleman, and Sharangovich has been fantastic after his slow start, but these guys should be headlining the depth, rather than being the goal scoring leaders of the team.
It reminds me of when Nick Bjugstad was the leading scorer on the Panthers. Best of a bad bunch, but there's no way a guy like that should lead the team in scoring. I'm astonished that Lindholm hasn't scored more this year. It's very disappointing. He's completely checked out on this franchise.

Sell, sell, sell. Rebuild.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:11 AM   #177
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Puck brushes off a players glove, 10 seconds later the team scores - No Goal
- Puck hits a linesman, deflects directly in front of the empty net - Goal

Welcome to the new NHL!
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:27 AM   #178
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
Im sorry
I don’t think I’m trolling
I simply think for a number of reasons (cap space, apparent effort) the value this year just isn’t what most (including me) were hoping for

And hell
If my message board opinion on our players value has that much influence
Then
We are in bigger trouble than I thought ha ha
Why are you starting new lines instead of using punctuation?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 06:28 AM   #179
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good job noticing Lindholm

Tough to do sometimes
Had another one of his zero stats-line games. Played almost 20 minutes and managed no shots, no points, no penalties, no nothing. He knows he's playing for his next contract? Right?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:34 AM   #180
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
The combination of the flames trajectory and the oilers trajectory right now is such a kick in the groin. Flames playing terrible? Fine. Those losers on a record setting heater? No good.
Especially with how the season started it and we were shockingly ahead of them in the standings while they seemed to be crashing and burning.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote