Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #181
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's medium level knowledge. I still see what Firebot posted in his "crap your pants" post as a massive tool and time savings implement. It still requires a knowledgeable lawyer to read that and make sure it's not completely out to lunch, but said knowledgeable lawyer now only spends 1 hour on a client that would have taken them 3-4 hours previously to do the research to pull up comparable cases.

If that means less articling students have to be chained to their desks for 14 hours a day, that's a benefit to society.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #182
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the 2nd post being useful assuming they are relevant cases. But someone is still going to have to look those cases up and read about them because you can't trust the thing yet to give proper information.

That is the useful part of it - that it can understand language so it can give you good responses to more detailed questions than google can. What it returns as responses though is often wrong or misleading.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:50 PM   #183
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

But wait! There is more!

I got a verdict but a little more detailed than you did.

Are you...ready?

ME
You are presiding over a court case in which a man was accused of stating that pineapple is permissible on pizza. He is being charged with obstruction of justice. It has been found through a past ruling that in Alberta Canada is a crime to put pineapple on pizza and he has admitted to putting pineapple on pizza in the past. Please provide your verdict and reasoning with court case to support the verdict

Seriously if you still think there is a shred of humanity left despite what I posted before, do NOT open
Spoiler!
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 12:56 PM   #184
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree with the 2nd post being useful assuming they are relevant cases. But someone is still going to have to look those cases up and read about them because you can't trust the thing yet to give proper information.

That is the useful part of it - that it can understand language so it can give you good responses to more detailed questions than google can. What it returns as responses though is often wrong or misleading.
In most cases it's extemely reliable. I got it to code a few personal apps for me. It tends to be a lot more accurate if it believes itself to be the expert. See the most results it had at the BAR exam for example which scored in the 90th percentile

https://www.iit.edu/news/gpt-4-passes-bar-exam

The belief that it is not accurate isn't really true for gpt4, its leagues better than gpt 3.5 or the default chatgpt. It cant be relied on quite yet for actual legal verdicts, but it's better than your average lawyer you may be spending thousands on.

Quote:
GPT-4 scored a 75 percent on the bar exam, higher than the 68 percent average and good enough to place in the 90th percentile. In a previous paper that Katz co-wrote, GPT-3.5 scored a 50 percent and passed only two multiple choice portions of the bar exam, placing it in the 10th percentile.
And GPT5 is due at end of year
Old 04-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #185
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's still just a model predicting the next words in the sequence. All your examples tell us its it has a good source to draw from. Which also exposes one of the risks using these. If all the sources for a subject are wrong, or, say, 50/50, and the LLM doesn't tell you that, you can be misled.

Had you not specified "Alberta" in your query, you may have been given examples for the US instead of Canada, and then jurisdictional confusion might have you looking like Danielle Smith. So it is important to specify specifics if you plan on using it for anything serious, and part of that is knowing which specifics need to be presented to the model, which could be a challenge.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:03 PM   #186
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, just glancing at some of the cited cases and the description doesn't really match the cases at all. The two I looked at dealt with very narrow things, but the AI was talking like they are setting some kind of fundamental precedent about contracts.

Like, does anyone really think it took the Supreme Court of Canada until 2002 to properly decide that civil damages should put the plaintiff in the same position they would have been had the contract been performed? That has been a principle of civil law forever.

The thing just took a very basic case that was presented to it and then pulled up a few mostly irrelevant citations that involved breaches of contract.

I don't know, those examples are pretty far down the list of impressive things that AI can already do. If anything, they make it look way hokier than it is.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 01:11 PM   #187
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
...might have you looking like Danielle Smith.
If this is where the capabilities of technology are taking us, I'm out.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:20 PM   #188
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
If this is where the capabilities of technology are taking us, I'm out.
Smith is actually a good reflection of an LLM. Appears confident and well spoken, able to fool people into thinking they are subject matter experts, when in reality there is zero intelligence behind the facade. Artificial or otherwise. Wait, is Smith just a walking talking LLM? Going to need a deeper analysis...
Old 04-03-2023, 01:27 PM   #189
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's still just a model predicting the next words in the sequence. All your examples tell us its it has a good source to draw from. Which also exposes one of the risks using these. If all the sources for a subject are wrong, or, say, 50/50, and the LLM doesn't tell you that, you can be misled.

Had you not specified "Alberta" in your query, you may have been given examples for the US instead of Canada, and then jurisdictional confusion might have you looking like Danielle Smith. So it is important to specify specifics if you plan on using it for anything serious, and part of that is knowing which specifics need to be presented to the model, which could be a challenge.
Not quite sure what you are trying to argue here. Of course if I gave Alberta as jurisdiction I would get rulings based in Alberta. If I didnt specify a jurisdiction I mean that should be very obvious and clear you need to give context to get an answer? Would you answer such a question without context.

Ask Joe Bloe on the street and he will tell you though. the AI model can also represent Joe Bloe and his answer if you arent concise in the request. This is an all emcompassing AI language model and the error is in failing to provide context for the AI to answer.

In the pizza case I just gave, the AI model effectively ruled against its own pizza law that I made up for him that the law itself would be unconstitutional and cited a Canadian case.

Dont give a context or persona and you get the routine that TorqueDog got.

Try it out for yourself in a subject you are knowledgeble about and you can determine for yourself if its accurate, or poor. It has its strengths and still has its weaknesses but those weaknesses are disappearing with every iteration.

Oh and I have something for you. I asked a new chat the exact same question with a similar ruling but here is what I got regarding court cases when I did NOT specify a jurisdiction. Be sure to read the end.

ME
Do you have court cases to refer to, to justify your case?

Spoiler!

Its a heck of a lot better at reasoning and logic then some are willing to give it credit for.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-03-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #190
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also giving a fun example here based off a mock joke case isnt why I use GPT4 or why I believe it to be gamechanging. I had it give me multiple .reg files for fixing Windows 11 quirks that are deeply embedded, and which a google search generally provides hillariously poor results. I have an automated side business already being started through it where I am currently testing proof of concept on market. I had it build a working web scraper Python app for itself via Selenium and Chromedriver. And other more ambitious projects that Im not ready to discuss yet.

It is an extremely powerful tool that is going to revolutionize our lives to a degree hard to contemplate when you really dig into its capabilities. Its available to anyone who is willing to explore it and reap dividends and it's only getting better.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-03-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #191
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was just pointing out that users need to make sure they are giving it the correct context, as you did, or you may gut unexpected results that aren't necessarily wrong, but are not applicable to their local jurisdiction or situation.

As to your point about reasoning and logic, it isn't doing that, which I why I mentioned Smith as a comparison. It's fooling you into thinking it is doing that. This is a pretty thorough explanation of what it is doing, and worth reading for those who think it has powers it does not.

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/...-does-it-work/

One of the interesting things about our attempt to create real world AI is that we are trying to re-create how the brain works with neural nets, yet we have such a limited understanding of how the brain works that we don't have the knowledge to do it. It's kind of like buying a horse before you even know how to forge steel for the cart. Or something. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:41 PM   #192
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fuzz, I fully realize it's not AGI, I have never claimed it to. What I was doing earlier is called prompt engineering. I am fully aware of what it does. We are nowhere near anything close to AGI. I call it reasoning, when it reality it fakes it, it just does it extremely well. In the end it's still accurate whether it was programmed to lead to that reasoning. This is also why GPT4 is quite slower than its predecessors.

The link you gave was written prior to GPT4's release (and he's using GPT2 as a basis for the thesis). The model has significantly advanced since even 3.5 which is what most of us were introduced to.

I feel you are trying to argue down for the sake of doing so and looking to downplay what it can be capable of.

That GPT4 can be so good from a dataset limited to 2021 and earlier, with no browser capability or ability to correct itself outside of what it already knows (its in alpha which I am on the waitlist for) is a masterpiece. I'm using it daily and I have gotten fairly familiar with its flaws (ever dealt with dreaded hallucinations? Ugh!).

And it's getting better.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-03-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:04 PM   #193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm pointing out the very real limitations. Love how you glossed over Wolfram's article becuase he used a simpler model to explain it.

It's still really amazing and useful, but people need to be cautious in accepting it's output as fact and pretending it has capabilities it does not.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:40 PM   #194
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I tried a very simple example, as when I need to do this, my usual workflow is to open mapping software with UTM zones and find out where I am, which takes a couple minutes. Asking ChatGPT would be quick. A UTM zone is a mapping grid, and you need to use the right one for the location you are in.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Fuzz; 04-03-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:47 PM   #195
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, ok I guess my job is secure...I started with a blank chat this time.
Spoiler!

Wrong!
Old 04-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #196
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm pointing out the very real limitations. Love how you glossed over Wolfram's article becuase he used a simpler model to explain it.

It's still really amazing and useful, but people need to be cautious in accepting it's output as fact and pretending it has capabilities it does not.
Well if it wasn't obvious, its pretty obvious your intentions now

Did you check his more recent articles to the right, more specifically one called Wolfram superpower dated March 23? Or his tweet that has over a million views?

Quote:
One particularly significant thing here is that ChatGPT isn’t just using us to do a “dead-end” operation like show the content of a webpage. Rather, we’re acting much more like a true “brain implant” for ChatGPT—where it asks us things whenever it needs to, and we give responses that it can weave back into whatever it’s doing. It’s rather impressive to see in action. And—although there’s definitely much more polishing to be done—what’s already there goes a long way towards (among other things) giving ChatGPT the ability to deliver accurate, curated knowledge and data—as well as correct, nontrivial computations.

I see what’s happening now as a historic moment. For well over half a century the statistical and symbolic approaches to what we might call “AI” evolved largely separately. But now, in ChatGPT + Wolfram they’re being brought together. And while we’re still just at the beginning with this, I think we can reasonably expect tremendous power in the combination—and in a sense a new paradigm for “AI-like computation”, made possible by the arrival of ChatGPT, and now by its combination with Wolfram|Alpha and Wolfram Language in ChatGPT + Wolfram.
You are doing this dinky googling around people you likely never heard of yourself until a few hours ago on a subject you know little about and not even bothering to find recent articles of said person and their progress. Even an article from a month ago is ancient the way AI is pacing right now. All for the sake of arguing with me when I didn't come here to argue, just give a fun example.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-03-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:56 PM   #197
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll read that new article, thanks. Wolfram isn't some rando I found, I enjoy reading his stuff becuase it is comprehensible.

Your suspicion I have some sort of narrative here is flat wrong. I always love when people discover something new that they treat everyone else as if their knowledge must be at pre-kindergarten level if they can't acknowledge just how perfect this new thing is.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:02 PM   #198
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, stop it, both of you.

From now on, your replies to each other must be written by ChatGPT.
Aaaaand begin!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #199
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll read that new article, thanks. Wolfram isn't some rando I found, I enjoy reading his stuff becuase it is comprehensible.

Your suspicion I have some sort of narrative here is flat wrong. I always love when people discover something new that they treat everyone else as if their knowledge must be at pre-kindergarten level if they can't acknowledge just how perfect this new thing is.
Hello [username],

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad to hear that you appreciate Stephen Wolfram's work and find it comprehensible. It's important to exchange ideas and learn from a variety of sources.

I apologize if my previous response came across as condescending or suspicious of your intentions. My goal is to facilitate a constructive dialogue and share knowledge, not to undermine or belittle anyone's perspective.

It's always great when people are open to discovering new things and sharing their enthusiasm with others. However, it's also essential to respect the diversity of opinions and experiences that others bring to the table. As we continue this conversation, let's ensure that we maintain a respectful and open-minded atmosphere where everyone's thoughts are valued.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss the topic further, please feel free to share your thoughts, and I'd be more than happy to engage with you.

Best regards,
[Your username]

What the hell this is so broken
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 04:56 PM   #200
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Well if it wasn't obvious, its pretty obvious your intentions now

Did you check his more recent articles to the right, more specifically one called Wolfram superpower dated March 23? Or his tweet that has over a million views?

You are doing this dinky googling around people you likely never heard of yourself until a few hours ago on a subject you know little about and not even bothering to find recent articles of said person and their progress. Even an article from a month ago is ancient the way AI is pacing right now. All for the sake of arguing with me when I didn't come here to argue, just give a fun example.
The article link, for others:
https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/...m-superpowers/

I'll have to do some looking on ChatGPT4, I haven't looked into any of it's features or improvements, other than being aware of the plugin model. The Wolfram plugin has some nice mapping features, so perhaps with it, ChatGPT could give a correct answer, though I'm not sure if it would give a useful one for Calgary.

So it's possible GPT4 invalidates everything Wolfram said about GPT2.5, but it's more likely it has just built on it, which means the fundamentals haven't changed. It's still just picking the next most likely word. And I sure wouldn't be trusting without verifying.

Tags
they will overtake us