Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 2018/19 Calgary Roughnecks Thread

Still a ways out from the season, but some not so promising news out of the NLL today.

Hopefully they get a deal done, but the NLL and the PLPA to a lesser extent need to recognize they are far from a top tier league and cancelling part or all of a season will lose them fans that will be hard to win back. I'm mostly on the side of the players in this case, some of the salaries are minuscule.
InglewoodFan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Still a ways out from the season, but some not so promising news out of the NLL today.

Hopefully they get a deal done, but the NLL and the PLPA to a lesser extent need to recognize they are far from a top tier league and cancelling part or all of a season will lose them fans that will be hard to win back. I'm mostly on the side of the players in this case, some of the salaries are minuscule.
It would be sad if they lost games or a season.

Really in this type of league the players and the owners need to truly work together or else it will die.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

hmmm

is the PLL the problem?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Maybe, but that is a different sport.

IIRC, that is field vs box

I went to a MLL game a couple of years ago, IMO, it was an inferior product/game to NLL.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Maybe, but that is a different sport.

IIRC, that is field vs box

I went to a MLL game a couple of years ago, IMO, it was an inferior product/game to NLL.
Rabil did state he has alot of the best players in the world lined up, didn't play Lacrosse very much (And only outdoor), so I'm not really sure whether or not pro indoor players would be a part of the equation
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Rabil did state he has alot of the best players in the world lined up, didn't play Lacrosse very much (And only outdoor), so I'm not really sure whether or not pro indoor players would be a part of the equation
I don't think they are part of the equation but I might be wrong. Rabil is a special talent of that here is no doubt.

Box really isn't played much in the states.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some pro box players are signed up for PLL (Dickson, Bell), but the seasons shouldn't overlap. Regular season NLL is done April 20 and PLL starts June 1. I think they can squeeze in NLL playoffs without overlap, not 100% sure. PLL is more of a threat to MLL, which is the established field lacrosse league in the US.

My kids play, and to be honest I like watching the field game more. But it is not nearly as approachable as box for new fans. And field is what is played at the NCAA level in the US, so it has a lead in popularity in the States. Field is being played more at the university level in Canada but not to the same extent.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw a comment on Twitter that because negotiations are ongoing they are not holding to the 5:00 pm deadline today. Hopefully they get this done.

https://twitter.com/PxP4Sports/statu...936355328?s=20
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

any word on this?

Quote:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No news as of yet, which I view as a good thing as it means they are likely actively talking.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No news as of yet, which I view as a good thing as it means they are likely actively talking.
I really hope so.

These games are great for the skill and speed of the game, but also price point.

To my mind it is the full package.

Damn it just saw that they have cancelled the first to regular season weekends Dec 1 and Dec8

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 11-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With only cancelling first two weeks so far, Roughnecks haven't lost any home games yet. Home opener is Dec 15.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jake Elliott @PxP4Sports
Sources saying the @NLL is set to make a major announcement tomorrow and I quote “It’s NOT a good one“ #NLLCBA
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suspect it will be another 2 weeks canceled.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

The players are being really stupid on this one and I say this as someone who will mostly side with players in most contract/CBA negotiations.

You're a development league, if they don't be careful there won't be a league at all. Theres like 4 teams that are above water, rest are folding/moving. This isn't a league where owners are raking in the money. Whatever the players may gain will likely be gone when/if they reach a deal and couple teams announce they are folding and there are 40 less roster spots. Are the Flames/Canucks/Sabres owners going to care if their lacrosse teams fold? I highly doubt it. Couple of those teams are the most stable teams in the league. Think about that players and PA.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
The players are being really stupid on this one and I say this as someone who will mostly side with players in most contract/CBA negotiations.

You're a development league, if they don't be careful there won't be a league at all. Theres like 4 teams that are above water, rest are folding/moving. This isn't a league where owners are raking in the money. Whatever the players may gain will likely be gone when/if they reach a deal and couple teams announce they are folding and there are 40 less roster spots. Are the Flames/Canucks/Sabres owners going to care if their lacrosse teams fold? I highly doubt it. Couple of those teams are the most stable teams in the league. Think about that players and PA.
I have to be careful about commenting about all this as I'm employed by the league. There is a lot of good information out there. Indeed the finances of the league are quite variable which makes this challenging. There is a very difficult economic state if you look at Colorado, Calgary, Toronto and Saskatoon relative to other teams.

But really what the core disagreement about is how will the players be able to participate in the growth of the league. How is that growth measured and defined. That at the core, from what I understand, is the biggest point of contention and what is in the way.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I have to be careful about commenting about all this as I'm employed by the league. There is a lot of good information out there. Indeed the finances of the league are quite variable which makes this challenging. There is a very difficult economic state if you look at Colorado, Calgary, Toronto and Saskatoon relative to other teams.

But really what the core disagreement about is how will the players be able to participate in the growth of the league. How is that growth measured and defined. That at the core, from what I understand, is the biggest point of contention and what is in the way.
I really hope it is resolved.

Going to games with my boy is a joy.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Roughnecks just sent out a STH email cancelling the November 24 pre-season game but holding out hope that the home opener on December 15 is still a go.

Chatter on Twitter (mainly Jake Elliot) is that a deal is imminent with no further games cancelled. Here's hoping.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #19
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Players have ratified the deal

https://twitter.com/user/status/1066475560421990400
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #20
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big signing today as the Riggers inked Rhys Dutch who was released by Vancouver yesterday. He’s getting up there but his big shot will be a big weapon
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:

Tags
lacrosse , nll , roughnecks