Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #2041
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
Is there anything on that website that is not true?

Truth 4 states that he is going to cut services that families rely on. We don’t know that to be the case at all. Though I don’t think you can find 20% in efficiencies he could lock out workers to force war concessions. Saying that he is going to gut services people rely on cannot be substantiated.

Truth 5 is pretty brutal as well. Bringing up that he will get a federal MP pension as a negative for him his odd.

In gereral though attacking the character of the leader of a party prior to releasing a budget or calling an election is mudslinging politics that no one should support. It’s filled with Partisan talking points and half truths designed to trigger specific voter groups.

It does not advance public discourse and a discussion of what is the best path forward for Albertans. People throughout the political spectrum need to call out this type of campaigning as unacceptable.

Notley should release a budget and call an election, Kenny should release a shadow budget. Then the rest of the platforms should be released and a discussion of issues rather than character should take place.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #2042
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Keith Gerein: Clumsy NDP effort to vilify Jason Kenney carries high risk of backfire

Quote:
And it’s not an entirely bad idea to have a central place for Albertans to get a fuller picture of the controversies that have dogged the UCP leader.

But if the NDP was serious about wanting the website to be a fair, fact-based effort and truly wanted Albertans to judge Kenney for themselves, they would have constructed the site in a far more neutral way.

Fire up your favourite internet browser and you’ll see what I mean.

Sensationalist headlines in all capital letters. National Enquirer-style banners. Unflattering pictures. Photoshopped images. All of it presented in stark black and white, gouged with streaks of blood red.

Some of the content is also questionable. As an example, the section where the NDP accuses Kenney of repeated rule breaking includes a number of allegations that are still under investigation, did not involve Kenney at all, and may have no “truth” to them whatsoever.
Quote:
You have to remember, the NDP has tried to build a reputation as the defenders of the downtrodden, champions for fairness, justice and equality.

By engaging in such character assassination, I suspect many Albertans will see this as the moment when the NDP went from being well-intentioned do-gooders to schoolyard thugs.

The effort is mean-spirited and clumsy enough that it may actually get voters to feel sympathy for Kenney rather than making him the monster.

In this case, fighting fire with fire comes with a big risk of backfire.
Quote:
In the NDP camp, the opposite is true, in which Notley’s favourability ratings are considerably higher than that of the party she leads.

Which is why you can see the advantage to the NDP of turning the election into a popularity contest between the two leaders.

It’s also why Mason, rather than Notley, was chosen to head the news conference, since it allowed the NDP leader to stay above the fray.

That’s a trick Kenney has used as well, in which he publicly calls for decorum and decries incivility, all while allowing others to do the dirty work.

The 2019 election was always destined to be a nasty affair, but I am a little surprised the NDP went to these lengths to scare Albertans.
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...sk-of-backfire
Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #2043
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Notley is pretty gutless about taking ownership of anything.

She hides behind her deputy premier pretty regularly. She's hiding behind Mason on this website.

If you're going to create a nasty ugly website like this where you go after someone's character, then own it. Put your fricken name on it and let the people decide if they like your strategy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 AM   #2044
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, we new this would get nasty. Let the games begin!
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:47 AM   #2045
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

She hides behind her deputy premier pretty regularly. She's hiding behind Mason on this website.

If you're going to create a nasty ugly website like this where you go after someone's character, then own it. Put your fricken name on it and let the people decide if they like your strategy.
I have a great deal of respect for Mason but I think it's sad that Notley got him to end his time in politics this way. He must be taking a hit for the better of the party. Mason was always about respect and civility and did his best to act that way during question period in the AB legislature.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #2046
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have a great deal of respect for Mason but I think it's sad that Notley got him to end his time in politics this way. He must be taking a hit for the better of the party. Mason was always about respect and civility and did his best to act that way during question period in the AB legislature.

Mason has always been a pitbull. The difference is he can keep it about politics. His twitter battles with Thomas Lukaszuk are a great example. I don’t think he spent his whole career fighting for what he believed in, to finally get a chance to do it, to knowing it will be completely undone for, at times, completely baseless reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spotthefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #2047
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If the NDP gets completely pummeled in this election which seems likely, is this kind of thing what Rachel wants to be remembered for. Not her record as premiere. Not for some of the good bills that they've put in place. Nope running a nasty negative campaign that will more then likely increase the vote count for the UCP.

That's what she wants to be remembered for in this campaign.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #2048
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t think we’ve had a more up front premier since Klein, and that is the extent of how I will compare them.

And going after someone’s character through a hidden account is the playbook for Kenney’s campaign. “Unite Alberta,” ties to Rebel media.

“He’s just not ready.”

“Didn’t come back for you.”

Common conservative politics. Difference here is progressives aren’t just taking the punches, they are throwing them too.

The Following User Says Thank You to spotthefan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #2049
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the NDP gets completely pummeled in this election which seems likely, is this kind of thing what Rachel wants to be remembered for. Not her record as premiere. Not for some of the good bills that they've put in place. Nope running a nasty negative campaign that will more then likely increase the vote count for the UCP.

That's what she wants to be remembered for in this campaign.

Maybe. Maybe not. What in the website/video
Is untrue?

Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #2050
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching conservatives clutch their pearls on a negative campaign against their team is priceless. The irony is so thick we could smoke it and sell it for ppl to grill.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #2051
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Watching conservatives clutch their pearls on a negative campaign against their team is priceless. The irony is so thick we could smoke it and sell it for ppl to grill.
I mean, outside of twitter, is this even on the radar of anyone?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #2052
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
You are a partisan that is part of the problem.

The world is not two groups of leftist and conservatives. Albertans (who the majority don’t fall into either camp) would be better off without this bull####.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #2053
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

It'd be nice if we could herd the people shouting about the NDP as libtards and commies as well as the people touting Kenney as the anti-christ off to the side to just scream at each other so the adults can discuss policy rationally. Unfortunately all the rhetoric and character assassinations appealing to the lowest common denominator of voter on either side is something the rest of us have to live with and fight through.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #2054
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think manditory voting is needed, motivating the base won't be as powerful.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #2055
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You are a partisan that is part of the problem.

The world is not two groups of leftist and conservatives. Albertans (who the majority don’t fall into either camp) would be better off without this bull####.

While I agree most Albertans aren’t part of a particular side, partisanship is what modern democracy is based on. It’s not going to go away.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #2056
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It'd be nice if we could herd the people shouting about the NDP as libtards and commies as well as the people touting Kenney as the anti-christ off to the side to just scream at each other so the adults can discuss policy rationally. Unfortunately all the rhetoric and character assassinations appealing to the lowest common denominator of voter on either side is something the rest of us have to live with and fight through.

Ah but you see, I don’t see many on the left phrasing it as such.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #2057
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotthefan View Post
While I agree most Albertans aren’t part of a particular side, partisanship is what modern democracy is based on. It’s not going to go away.

Not with that attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #2058
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are we waiting for anyways. Drop the writ already. Let’s get this over with.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #2059
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really would love to see how the NDP would do with a booming economy.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #2060
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I really would love to see how the NDP would do with a booming economy.
I wouldn’t.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote