Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Nice metaphor.

but the only problem with it is that the car may run fine, although if you lift the floor mats you can see the asphalt through the rust holes, when it rains heavily the sunroof leaks, and it is in general just so unattractive and unfun that the wife won't even ride around in it, the kids are starting to resent you for driving it because you look like an idiot in it, and its splitting the family apart because you can't go for fun drives in it anymore because it is just too fragile and needs to be maintained.

Basically the work on the house is already tabbed and budgetted for, and yeah would a new car hurt your pocketbook a little? sure but the kids don't want to do anything with you anymore and realistically the new car would be a great way to rekindle that sense of family.
I love the analogy.....so teach our kids as soon as something is a little old we should just buy a new one, no matter the cost when in reality the magic is supposed to be the actual partaking in the activity together not the vehicle at all.

Words to live by right there.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
There already was a plebiscite on Nenshi.
I'm not anti-Nenshi, but the fact he did worse than any incumbent mayor in the last 30 years or so should give him pause.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #23
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I love the analogy.....so teach our kids as soon as something is a little old we should just buy a new one, no matter the cost when in reality the magic is supposed to be the actual partaking in the activity together not the vehicle at all.

Words to live by right there.

forgot to add that eventually your wife leaves you and moves in with the nice guy from texas with the southern drawl and the nice sports car who likes to take his new family out to do fun things and they forget all about you and you just sit there muttering something taxes, the weather, expenses and why can't people appreciate what they have...

I wasn't getting all serious with the analogy and it was meant to be a tongue in cheek response
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #24
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not anti-Nenshi, but the fact he did worse than any incumbent mayor in the last 30 years or so should give him pause.
"'Worst incumbent mayor' re-elected with majority that will make him longest serving mayor since WWII. Apparently that should give him pause."
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #25
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I recall the first release being pretty explicit that there had been no formal talks with the city, and implied very little discussion behind the scenes.

The discussion behind the scenes were:

'We are not interested in any proposal in the West Village, so don't bother with one.'

The discussion in front of the camera was:

'We aren't going to give the same deal as Edmonton.'

So naturally CSEC came up with a proposal that had the Edmonton funding model for a location in the West Village, and then acted all surprised when it got no traction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait for us to have an actual discussion on the design and funding of the new arena.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I can't wait for us to have an actual discussion on the design and funding of the new arena.
I think thats an indicator sadomasochistic tendencies and you should speak to someone. Not me. Preferably a Professional.

As if this part of the process isnt bad enough....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
"'Worst incumbent mayor' re-elected with majority that will make him longest serving mayor since WWII. Apparently that should give him pause."
Did I say he was the wort incumbent mayor? Nope. And both Duerr and Bronconnier didn’t run for a third term so the comparison is not really apt. But the his slim victory should indeeed make him think about his mandate, no matter what term he’s in.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #29
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest thing I hate about this whole thing with the arena are the double standards that always seem to come from the City office.

Arena is waste of money/provides no economic benefit but Lets go throw a bunch of money at an Olympic bid.

Flames don't actually provide much economic value to the city but during every lockout we get news stories about all the out of work ppl, how bars are slow due fewer people out and about, and how the downtown culture as a whole is slowing and lacking.

Now sit down together figure out how much value the Flames/Arena actually provide to the city and negotiate in good faith.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #30
SaskUke
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Al Duerr serve 12 years with majorities that were far in excess of Nenshi's?
SaskUke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #31
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Believing this is just a personality issue is delusional. This is about big money, with lots of people involved in the negotiations, and a huge gap in what the two sides want out of a deal. It's not about personality or superficial problems, but fundamental differences in what the value of an NHL team is to a community and who should pay for it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskUke View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Al Duerr serve 12 years with majorities that were far in excess of Nenshi's?
Yeah, you are right. He actually had 4 terms. The term used to be only 3 years.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #33
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, you are right. He actually had 4 terms. The term used to be only 3 years.
Klein won 3 elections, but left office to enter Provincial politics prior to the completion of his final term. He still served almost the full 9 years.

Duerr won 4 elections and served the full 12 years as Mayor.

Bronconnier won 3 elections and served the full 9 years as Mayor.

Nenshi has won 3 elections will have served 11 years at the end of the current term. If he were to win one more election and serve the full term, then he would become Calgary's second longest-serving Mayor, and longest-serving since the Second World War.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #34
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio4PM View Post
But the his slim victory should indeeed make him think about his mandate, no matter what term he’s in.

Why? It was a major election issue and the majority of Calgarians voted for him. It legitimized his mandate, not weakened it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice metaphor.

but the only problem with it is that the car may run fine, although if you lift the floor mats you can see the asphalt through the rust holes, when it rains heavily the sunroof leaks, and it is in general just so unattractive and unfun that the wife won't even ride around in it, the kids are starting to resent you for driving it because you look like an idiot in it, and its splitting the family apart because you can't go for fun drives in it anymore because it is just too fragile and needs to be maintained.

Basically the work on the house is already tabbed and budgetted for, and yeah would a new car hurt your pocketbook a little? sure but the kids don't want to do anything with you anymore and realistically the new car would be a great way to rekindle that sense of family.
Yikes. This analogy has about the opposite affect you were hoping for IMO. We should be vain and materialistic so our family and loved ones will like us?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #36
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yikes. This analogy has about the opposite affect you were hoping for IMO. We should be vain and materialistic so our family and loved ones will like us?
It was a joke. Sheeeesh
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #37
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why? It was a major election issue and the majority of Calgarians voted for him. It legitimized his mandate, not weakened it.
The majority of Calgarians voted for ‘none of the above’, as usual.

In a non-party system, the incumbent always has the advantage of deep pockets and a pre-existing campaign organization. I remember the days when every election saw at least one alderman re-elected by acclamation, because nobody could afford the money to run what would almost certainly be a losing campaign.

Given these huge advantages, any time an incumbent mayor fails to get re-elected with at least, say, 80 percent of the vote, he's shown vulnerability. Nenshi is vulnerable, and if he does run for another term after this, the knives will be out.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The majority of Calgarians voted for ‘none of the above’, as usual.

In a non-party system, the incumbent always has the advantage of deep pockets and a pre-existing campaign organization. I remember the days when every election saw at least one alderman re-elected by acclamation, because nobody could afford the money to run what would almost certainly be a losing campaign.

Given these huge advantages, any time an incumbent mayor fails to get re-elected with at least, say, 80 percent of the vote, he's shown vulnerability. Nenshi is vulnerable, and if he does run for another term after this, the knives will be out.
No they didn't.

http://www.calgary.ca/election/Pages...l-Results.aspx

199131/387583 = 51.3% of the vote.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #39
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No they didn't.

http://www.calgary.ca/election/Pages...l-Results.aspx

199131/387583 = 51.3% of the vote.
The majority of the electors did not vote. That's the only way to vote for ‘none of the above’, and that's what I was referring to.

Nice try.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #40
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice metaphor.

but the only problem with it is that the car may run fine, although if you lift the floor mats you can see the asphalt through the rust holes, when it rains heavily the sunroof leaks, and it is in general just so unattractive and unfun that the wife won't even ride around in it,
Ignoring the rest of your post, these parts simply aren't a reasonable correlation. The building isn't falling apart or leaking (at least not significantly more than any other large building like it - they all have occasional leaks, etc.).

The difference between old/new car is more in the stereo, seamless pairing with your phone, power windows and locks, etc. - a bunch of things that may be a bit more convenient, but don't necessarily get you to your destination any better.

What we'll actually be doing is trading in our reliable sedan that could comfortably transport 4 adults and squeeze in a fifth, for spunky little coupe that costs way more in insurance (+$$$ season tickets), and uses more gas - now premium (+$$$ concessions). The people in the front seats will have a great drive, but we can now only fit 2 people in the back, and their experience might even be worse.

In the end, we'll probably tell ourselves that we're happy with the new car, but deep down we'll wonder if we shouldn't have just gotten a few more years out of the reliable car, paid down more of the mortgage, and perhaps taken a nice vacation somewhere (which could be the Olympics, if we want to stretch the analogy and make it a really, really, really expensive vacation).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote