Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #10341
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Eklund has the flames looking at Eric Staal for what it’s worth (not much I know lol) but that said Staal’s experience and 17+20 for 37 points isn’t too shabby. Depending how the big fish hunting goes if we ended up with Zuccarello + Staal I would be pumped.
If we acquired Staal his first job is apologizing to Johnny
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #10342
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I understand that Eklund pulls stuff out of his butt....but has anyone seen Eric Staal play lately? Is he still any good? Can he play the wing?

Anyone else on MIN of interest? A chance to fleece a former Flame?
https://public.tableau.com/shared/MH...play_count=yes

The above is a numbers-based comparison between Duchene and Staal. As you can see, Duchene's numbers are impressive, but Staal's are even more so.

I haven't seen him play, but, depending on the price, I would be very interested in Staal.

I think it's just about the Flames looking at all the different options and finding the best value for their assets. I'm sure they have a certain ratio of value obtained to assets given up that they won't cross as an organization. I wonder if Staal wouldn't come a little bit cheaper because of his age.

Anyways, I think the lines could look like this (assuming we are trading futures and Neal is injured):

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Staal - Bennett
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway/Czarnik

I think that 2nd line could wreak havoc.

Last edited by Nelson; 02-17-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Adding potential lines
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #10343
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are the Wild trading Staal?

Are they throwing in the towel despite being in a playoff spot?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #10344
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Why are the Wild trading Staal?

Are they throwing in the towel despite being in a playoff spot?
It has been reported that Fenton has been given permission by ownership to retool the team even if it costs them the playoffs this year.

They are willing to sell if it means a better team down the line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #10345
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would look at Coyle as well as Staal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #10346
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving away from the thought of acquiring Stone and at the same time giving a team like NYR a chance at going for Stone themselves how about this:

First trade:

1st + Frolik + Czarnik for Staal + Coyle

Second trade:

2nd + Stone + Mangiapane for Zuccarello + McQuaid

Healthy lineup for Playoffs:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Coyle
Bennett - Staal - Zuccarello/Neal
Jankowski - Ryan - Zuccarello/Neal
Hathaway, Dube, Lazar

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Andersson
Valimaki - McQuaid

Rittich
Smith
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #10347
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's gotta be pressure on Fenton to hit a home run on his next Big trade. To early to tell who won the last one but most were declaring the Canes won that trade and the numbers so far are supporting that:

Nino
13GP 8g5a

Rask
10GP 1g1a
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #10348
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Reading Tre's latest thoughts I dont believe the Flames will be in on any big fish unless the prices drop substantially.

I would be perfectly happy with:
One additional experienced forward in the second tier (this years Markus Nilsson): not necessarily requiring term

and

One Derek Engelland rev. 2.0.: A good net clearing presence that can slot up and down subject to injuries, is a decent skater with a good outlet pass. Interestingly, Michael Stone at his best would be pretty close to the required player.

I don't think scoring is the issue for this team. The lack of depth in experienced forwards that can score is the issue. I also don't think trying to match up on paper against Tampa is a sound strategy. Instead focus on players that can play to their weaknesses. If you can set the team up to play a skill game in round 1, a speed game in rounds 2&3 (against likely San Jose and Winnpeg/Nashville) and a heavy game against the east, then you set yourself up for the best possible outcome for this year with an opportunity to supplement in the summer at a lower acquisition cost.

** This post is not suggesting that the Flames will go to the finals. It is intended to outline from a team building standpoint that they need to supplement their weaknesses with strengths to set themselves up for a good run against a variety of opponents. Going big game hunting and reinventing an already successful team with 20 games left is likely not a success strategy and would love to see an example of the last team this worked for.

Last edited by tkflames; 02-17-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Horrible grammar...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkflames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #10349
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Treliving speak on the radio or something?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #10350
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/gm-brad-tre...ty/c-304896752

Quote:
"We have made significant changes and they are something we think about a lot," Flames general manager Brad Treliving said. "Of course, you always look at it if you can make your team better, but we like to have stability on the team, too. When you've gone through change, that's part of the business, but you don't want to create turbulence.

"I'm a firm believer that you build your team in the summer. Wholesale changes and major operational changes during the season, for a whole bunch of reasons it's more difficult to do, I feel."
Quote:
Treliving said he continues to take the pulse of the market.

"You want to make sure you're exploring and looking for every opportunity to help your team but there's also an important time to make sure things are stable," he said. "It's a balance and you don't want change for change's sake."
Quote:
On the major attention rental players are receiving this season and his interest in them:

"Every year, there are players on expiring contracts and they always get attention. Each year, especially in this country (Canada), it becomes bigger and bigger, gets more attention. Traditionally, I haven't been a big fan of the rental market. Expending assets for something short in time, that's difficult in a cap-based system. We've spent picks before but all for players with term. We'll have to see how it plays out. You stay in touch with the marketplace and talk to other teams, but we'll wait and see and watch how things go. It can be a dangerous game, getting involved and spending a lot of assets for something that's real short-term."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #10351
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Posted earlier I think...

https://www.nhl.com/news/gm-brad-tre...ty/c-304896752
Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #10352
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #10353
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

One little prediction....Patrick Nemeth from the Avs as the veteran LHD for the Flames.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #10354
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Treliving may not like the “idea” of expending assets for rentals. But as past history has shown, he’s not against making deals for rentals with the Stone, Shore and Stewart acquisitions. He’s also made inquiries on Zuccarello and Stone are also UFAs this summer.

Personally, I think Treliving is more interested in value. He likes making deals where the acquisition cost is low relative to the player’s ability. So, if this is indeed a buyer’s market, I could definitely see Treliving making a trade for someone of significance. Maybe not a big fish, but someone who can jump in and instantly improve the 2nd or 3rd line who will only cost a 3rd round pick and a mediocre prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #10355
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Staal could be a solid addition. Don't imagine the price for him would be crazy. Good playoff experience and I think he would be an easy locker room fit. Seems like an easy going good guy. On pace for 53 pts this year but had 76 pts and 65 pts the two previous seasons. He will be 35 at the start of next season so there still is a chance you could sign him to a reasonable contract if he works out as well.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #10356
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund staring we have interest in Eric Staal. Wasn’t Staal looking washed up playing for Peters in Carolina? I suppose Lindholm was only a 40-45ot player under him there and look at him now.

I would only want Staal on a steep discount like a 3rd rounder and maybe another late pick
Old 02-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #10357
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I would only want Staal on a steep discount like a 3rd rounder and maybe another late pick
He did put up 76 points last year and has a 3.5M cap hit. Hes on pace for 53 this year. I see the price being much higher then that.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #10358
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
He did put up 76 points last year and has a 3.5M cap hit. Hes on pace for 53 this year. I see the price being much higher then that.
Agreed so I hope the Flames are not in on him. Boyle got a 2nd so Staal will get significantly more
Old 02-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #10359
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He also did nothing when he went to the Rangers.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #10360
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
There's gotta be pressure on Fenton to hit a home run on his next Big trade. To early to tell who won the last one but most were declaring the Canes won that trade and the numbers so far are supporting that:

Nino
13GP 8g5a

Rask
10GP 1g1a
wish Calgary was in on that trade...Nino would have been a great addition
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread