Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #41
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought it was a well known fact this movie was all Brian May. He was the most pissed off.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #42
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If you're in here you're probably a fan and have seen the Live Aid concert. If not, here's a good version of it to give you an idea of what everyone is talking about. The crowd they were playing to and the performance they gave. I still get chills watching it. He had the audience eating out of his hand.

The camera work and directing on that is still fantastic, especially considering this isn't a tightly choreographed modern show where the cameramen know where everyone is going to be all the timw. So many shots that immediately look iconic. It's probably a big reason why the legend of Queen at Live Aid has only grown over the years.

I mean, it's so good they can just recreate some of the same shots for a movie trailer and make the movie look epic.

... Also, the rest of the band is barely shown, lol
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #43
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
The camera work and directing on that is still fantastic, especially considering this isn't a tightly choreographed modern show where the cameramen know where everyone is going to be all the timw. So many shots that immediately look iconic. It's probably a big reason why the legend of Queen at Live Aid has only grown over the years.

I mean, it's so good they can just recreate some of the same shots for a movie trailer and make the movie look epic.

... Also, the rest of the band is barely shown, lol
that's why I can't stand re-watching the live aid show. I'm still pissed off how little of the band was shown.
I love Freddie, but I also love the BAND. they are all exceptional talents and they could have had some of the band getting shot directly. whomever was in charge of the filming of the set is a prat.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #44
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much footage would you expect of the rest of the band? I get that they're all equals, but Mercury is the lead singer and a lot more interesting to watch. Obviously you'd have a higher portion of of camera focusing in on him.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #45
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How much footage would you expect of the rest of the band? I get that they're all equals, but Mercury is the lead singer and a lot more interesting to watch. Obviously you'd have a higher portion of of camera focusing in on him.

While I agree that the singer should get more time, this is a much better job of filming and getting all involved.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #46
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
yes, a higher portion. not 98%
Old 10-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
So basically it turned out exactly as Sasha Baron Cohen said the band members wanted which is why he pulled out. Damn shame.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #48
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So basically it turned out exactly as Sasha Baron Cohen said the band members wanted which is why he pulled out. Damn shame.
Yeah, that sucks. I was a huge Queen fan growing up and was looking forward to the SBC take. Based on the review above I doubt I'll pay to see the movie.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most bands have a frontman who seemingly gets most of the attention, to me Freddie was no different.

I read the article that troutman posted and I wonder if I would have noticed the points raised in the article. I guess when I walk into the theatre I suspend belief and expect to be entertained and the real story of the even becomes distorted.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #50
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

People tend to put icons on pedestals and don't want to hear the negatives. You shouldn't outright discount the perspectives of the band members just because they don't jive with what you want to believe. Sure, there are some things that might be factually incorrect, like when Mercury disclosed his HIV status to the band. There is no evidence that he was diagnosed earlier as the film suggests. We can't know for sure, but it seems like that might be an inaccuracy. But that doesn't mean their view of him or his character is false. They must have reasons for their opinions and were closer to the situation than fans. Lead singer syndrome affect a lot of bands.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-25-2018 at 12:52 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
People tend to put icons on pedestals and don't want to hear the negatives. You shouldn't outright discount the perspectives of the band members just because they don't jive with what you want to believe. Sure, there are some things that might be factually incorrect, like when Mercury disclosed his HIV status to the band. There is no evidence that he was diagnosed earlier as the film suggests. We can't know for sure, but it seems like that might be an inaccuracy. But that doesn't mean their view of him or his character is false. They must have reasons for their opinions and were closer to the situation than fans. Lead singer syndrome affect a lot of bands.
I don't think it has anything to do with that and more that people aren't terribly interested in the story of the rest of the band and were hoping for a Freddy Mercury story. I get it that it sucks for bandmates that performed in the shadow of an iconic lead singer but it's the reality as there's plenty of very popular bands where most people only recognize the front man and couldn't pick out the other members in a police lineup. I'll pay $25 to watch the Freddie Mercury story but if it's the Brian May story I don't know if I would watch it free on Netflix.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-25-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #52
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Latest trailer just released:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #53
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with that and more that people aren't terribly interested in the story of the rest of the band and were hoping for a Freddy Mercury story. I get it that it sucks for bandmates that performed in the shadow of an iconic lead singer but it's the reality as there's plenty of very popular bands where most people only recognize the front man and couldn't pick out the other members in a police lineup. I'll pay $25 to watch the Freddie Mercury story but if it's the Brian May story I don't know if I would watch it free on Netflix.
I don't think that's entirely the case with Queen.
Brian May was always a very important and visible member of the band.
the other two, you're probably right.

it's like the rolling stones. Mick was very visible, but Richards had a huge
presence too.

I usually refuse to go see a concert where the band where they've lost an integral member. Queen was one I did. Never had a chance to see them with Freddie, but I did see them a couple of years ago with Lambert as I love the bands music and love May.

money well spent.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I don't think that's entirely the case with Queen.
Brian May was always a very important and visible member of the band.
the other two, you're probably right.

it's like the rolling stones. Mick was very visible, but Richards had a huge
presence too.

I usually refuse to go see a concert where the band where they've lost an integral member. Queen was one I did. Never had a chance to see them with Freddie, but I did see them a couple of years ago with Lambert as I love the bands music and love May.

money well spent.
I'm not discounting any members of the band in regards to importance, creating and playing the music. I'm just a casual Queen fan who liked Freddie and found him an intriguing character. I loved The Doors movie but if they spent more time on Robbie Krieger I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been as good this is coming from someone that acknowledges he's an underappreciated guitarist.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #55
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read a lot of negatives about the movie with respect to how it handles (or doesn't) Freddie's life off stage. Everyone agrees Rami Malek is the movie, but can his performance overcome a story that isn't quite enough? I'm definitely going to see it.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #56
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know there's a tendency to dissect and overthink everything these days, but if this movie has an entertaining storyline, good characters, and most importantly, filled with excellent music... it's probably going to be a pretty good couple of hours, regardless of the drama behind the scenes.

I'm just glad it's not another superhero movie.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #57
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the guys I play pool with saw the AC/DC Back in Black tour, Bruce Springsteen's The River and Queen's Hot Space tour in a 2 year span. That would have been cool.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #58
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
One of the guys I play pool with saw the AC/DC Back in Black tour, Bruce Springsteen's The River and Queen's Hot Space tour in a 2 year span. That would have been cool.
would have been, although hot space is the one queen CD I can never listen to. it's mostly a big pile of crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #59
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm just glad it's not another superhero movie.

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Or another Star Wars movie we didn't ask for.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote