Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #21
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Will piggy back off this post to and say Calgary has a lot going for it and unless Amazon thinks we're too close to Seattle already or not big and eastern enough we should really be taking this seriously. Educated and skilled workforce, space downtown or not, etc.

And say what you will about His Worship Major Nenshi but the guy loves this city and has the ability to sell it. Glad he'll be leading the charge and hope he continues to be able to.
Despite my skepticism about the chances of Calgary actually landing this, these are excellent points and in my opinion something like this is certainly worth pursuing. And while the chances of a bid being successful may be low, the more we pitch this city to the outside world the more we make it known what there is to offer here. We get our name out there, get it at least considered, and eventually we are potentially viewed as an attractive place to set up shop. The better known the City is the better our chances are that a company will eventually select us the place they want to do business. And then it begins to snowball (hopefully).

Theoretical question:
Assuming the successful city will be required to pitch millions of dollars in grants, rebates etc. is there an appetite in Calgary to do the same if it meant drawing a company like Amazon and it's potential 50 000 jobs plus diversification that would come with it? Traditionally we seem averse to this sort of thing here (and in Alberta in general).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #22
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If creating a new data center is a primary objective then it makes even more sense to put the new office in the east. I could see Detroit making a strong pitch for this, inner city is rebounding and adding 50,000 jobs would really speed up their recovery
I doubt it the primary motivations; however I work with a lot of large enterprises and they always have a few datacenters around where their corporate hubs are to facilitate development. These datacenters aren't always production datacenters though.

Sent from my G3123 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #23
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could easily see a smaller town/city like Stratford (trying to be the hub for driverless cars), or Waterloo as the winners IF Amazon decides to come to Canada. Those small towns would die to win that bid. A place like Waterloo has all the smart kids that MS and Google farm, so stealing some of that to place a campus there would be smart.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Despite my skepticism about the chances of Calgary actually landing this, these are excellent points and in my opinion something like this is certainly worth pursuing. And while the chances of a bid being successful may be low, the more we pitch this city to the outside world the more we make it known what there is to offer here. We get our name out there, get it at least considered, and eventually we are potentially viewed as an attractive place to set up shop. The better known the City is the better our chances are that a company will eventually select us the place they want to do business. And then it begins to snowball (hopefully).

Theoretical question:
Assuming the successful city will be required to pitch millions of dollars in grants, rebates etc. is there an appetite in Calgary to do the same if it meant drawing a company like Amazon and it's potential 50 000 jobs plus diversification that would come with it? Traditionally we seem averse to this sort of thing here (and in Alberta in general).
Agreed. Even if we don't win, being a finalist is not a bad thing. With Nenshi trying to drag more Silicon Valley up here, being known by Amazon can't do anything else, but help. I don't know if location is a pro or con. We are close to their main office, but in a different country. Is there a logical time zone advantage to having their second HQ further East?

I believe Calgary has been trying to expand logistics for a while as a diversification strategy. Amazon would help immensely.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #25
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Mayor's message - we have to go all in for this. We have lots of good urban and/or suburban choices to make this go.

Just image the present value of what free healthcare to a company for 50,000 employees must be. Put that $ value in the pitch.

- We have a great healthcare system
- We have a top notch public education and university system
- We have political stability
- We have a clean environment (UN ranks as the 'cleanest' major city)
- We have an educated workforce (currently with underemployment)
- We have an open and tolerant society
- We have some of the best infrastructure on the planet
- We are not prone to natural disasters
- We have an affordable office and more important housing stock
- We offer top notch standard of living and quality of life (5th most liveable on the economist's criteria)
- We have ease of access to Seattle

We have about every conceivable possible advantage. If we put our best foot forward, we could have a good chance.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #26
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Where will they find 50,000 skilled workers regardless of what city they decide to build this in? Seems like a big ask unless they want to relocate a lot of people.

Calgary is a great place to live. Relocation might not be a terrible idea for lots.

Lower tech salaries as well compared to the US market. Another big plus.

Stable political climate as well (i.e. not randomly deciding to ban or export a certain group of people).
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #27
takinghits
Draft Pick

Can't see the need for another location so close to Seattle so most likely this goes to the east cost or deep south.

Toronto or Waterloo should both be front runners from the Canadian POV however with Bezos/Amazon playing the tight American Politics game would be surprised if this HQ2 moves up to Canada.
takinghits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #28
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I could easily see a smaller town/city like Stratford (trying to be the hub for driverless cars), or Waterloo as the winners IF Amazon decides to come to Canada. Those small towns would die to win that bid. A place like Waterloo has all the smart kids that MS and Google farm, so stealing some of that to place a campus there would be smart.
The criteria in the RFP includes it must be a metropolitan area of over 1,000,000 population.

That only leaves 6 options in Canada

Toronto = Very expensive market office and housing
Montreal = Francophone, Quebec factor?
Vancouver = No space, very expensive housing
Calgary = The best
Edmonton = No Good
Ottawa = Zzzzzz
Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #29
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing Quebec has previously done is given significant tax breaks to corporations, and then exact their kilo of flesh from employees.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #30
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If their philosophy for HQ2 is anything like their first one, it might need some serious development. Having just visited Seattle, I saw that their campus is pretty impressive. Must be a half a dozen33 buildings - similar to a university campus with common areas, courtyards, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and doggie daycares all within its campus. Seems could be a fit for an area like West Village, Victoria Park, Stampede, or something similar. Since a specific geographic region (i.e. east) has not been specified, it makes me feel inclined to believe that it's less of a factor.

RFP

Last edited by Isikiz; 09-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Isikiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #31
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
If their philosophy for HQ2 is anything like their first one, it might need some serious development. Having just visited Seattle, I saw that their campus is pretty impressive. Must be a half a dozen buildings - similar to a university campus with common areas, courtyards, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and doggie daycares all within its campus. Seems could be a fit for an area like West Village, Victoria Park, Stampede, or something similar. Since a specific geographic region (i.e. east) has not been specified, it makes me feel inclined to believe that it's less of a factor.
Let me get my handy MS Paint out here.

For an Urban Campus - I'd think about in the arena district area. Two Landowners - City and Remington own most of it. A few other parcels could be picked up. You could create a massive urban campus here mixed in with the arena area. Would be friggin awesome.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #32
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The criteria in the RFP includes it must be a metropolitan area of over 1,000,000 population.

That only leaves 6 options in Canada

Toronto = Very expensive market office and housing
Montreal = Francophone, Quebec factor?
Vancouver = No space, very expensive housing
Calgary = The best
Edmonton = No Good
Ottawa = Zzzzzz
The no space or expensive housing argument won't really fly since the workers they will hire are the exact people that will buy those expensive houses, and Amazon will obviously build out the space the way they want like they did in Seattle.

Vancouver is probably out because it is so close to Seattle.

Finding 50,000 tech workers is a big ask.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't say 50 000 tech jobs, it's just jobs. Their are going to be logistics people, HR, accounting, lawyers etc...

A big data centre here doesn't make a lot of sense. A small to mid scale one, sure. But you want it near where your users are. But then, they didn't say they are building a data centre.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #34
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I would bet it ends up in the South somewhere...maybe S. Carolina as it very corporate/business friendly.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #35
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its either Cali, San Jose or Oakland or somewhere in the North East depending on the time zone factors, I don't think anywhere in Canada makes sense given the US is moving into a somewhat protectionist phase and putting the office in Canada would be a waste of political leverage.

Boston or Hartford makes sense, easy recruiting area, close to a bunch of colleges that will pump employees into your data mill
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #36
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Pittsburgh make a hard push for this. Google placed offices here a few years back, it's a green city with a good airport, housing costs are lower than many of the other cities in the Northeast, but we're close enough to those metropolitan areas. It's a growing city with a population trending younger, with a lot of cutting edge tech, good universities, etc. Though I'm honestly not sure how Pittsburgh's tax rates measure up. The cost of living might make it worthwhile despite that.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #37
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charlotte or Raleigh might have had a good shot, but NC's political situation with HB2 only kinda repealed and in legal limbo would probably exclude them. I can't think of any SC cities that meet the requirements. Northern Virginia might have a good shot. Maybe Chicago. I'd guess Toronto probably is pretty attractive. I agree that Calgary is way too close to Seattle.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #38
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

This would off course be amazing for Calgary, but I'd think our supply and cost of labor would be too volatile for Amazon.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #39
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
If their philosophy for HQ2 is anything like their first one, it might need some serious development. Having just visited Seattle, I saw that their campus is pretty impressive. Must be a half a dozen33 buildings - similar to a university campus with common areas, courtyards, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and doggie daycares all within its campus. Seems could be a fit for an area like West Village, Victoria Park, Stampede, or something similar. Since a specific geographic region (i.e. east) has not been specified, it makes me feel inclined to believe that it's less of a factor.

RFP
I was going to mention this. Even with the high vacancy rate in Calgary right now I couldn't see Amazon getting into a downtown tower lease. That type of environment just isn't the type of atmosphere that attracts the tech companies. They would need to build a campus style environment probably in the suburbs somewhere. Maybe this would be a good project for West Village or for the Fire Park area.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #40
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

They would build a campus like Apple's new campus I presume. $5billion, 14,200 employees, 175 acres, 2.8 million sq ft.

I don't even know what a 50,000 employee campus would look like and where it would fit. Imperial's Quarry Park Campus is 3,000 employees, 20 acres, 850,000 sq ft. The whole West Village including roads is like 65 acres. Forget Firepark, you'd have to line 'em up nuts to butts to get 50,000 people in that area.

The Pentagon is 6.5 million sq ft, 26,000 employees.

Last edited by Barnes; 09-07-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote