Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #3981
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use these on my '97 Rocky Oxygen. Cheapest I could find, and work very well.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-5...1-75-Wire-Tire

I brought mine inside to mount my bar mitts and give it a check over. Chain is very stiff! Time for a hot waxing. I guess I neglected it for the 2 weeks of -35 before Christmas. And it looks like the temp is dropping just in time for back to work, but now their should be a nice accumulation of snirt. Great. Welcome to 2017!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #3982
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was out for a spin on my fattie last week and got about 12k from home, and my pedal blew apart (this is the second time this happened to me in 2016 - both times were on different bikes with different pedals).

Rode back home with my foot on the spindle, at one point my foot slipped off the spindle and I ripped my booty - wound up being an expensive ride as I picked up new saint pedals. I am hoping I can sew my booty
Old 12-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #3983
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I was out for a spin on my fattie last week and got about 12k from home, and my pedal blew apart (this is the second time this happened to me in 2016 - both times were on different bikes with different pedals).
Too many Watts! You're a beast apparently...
Old 12-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #3984
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made time today to get out for a 25k spin thru fish creek. What a nice afternoon with the snow starting to fall. The trails were sweet and it was a lot of fun.

A few times my bike started to drift in the corners and I was worried about sliding into a tree
Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 PM   #3985
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ever mountain bike near Las Vegas or Phoenix before? Thinking about taking a little trip soon...
Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 PM   #3986
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Anyone ever mountain bike near Las Vegas or Phoenix before? Thinking about taking a little trip soon...
Sedona Arizona. Awesome biking. Flagstaff is pretty good too.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #3987
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

LAS has some very simple singletrack right in town, not really what I'd consider destination riding though. The terrain is rock hard with loose crap on top, so you go fricken fast. I've never done it, but a friend has done Bootleg just a bit out of LAS. He referred to it as Moab-lite.

PHX has even more in-town mild track to ride, but nothing I'd travel for specifically. The hotel I was at last time has several miles of track right on the property. I walked a bit of it and opted to golf instead. Sedona is where I will go in March for the 1st time. Drool.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #3988
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was a tough one....They haven't plowed the paths through Confederation Park, so it was a mess of unconsolidated footprints. Took me 10 minutes to do my first 1.5km....of course all that effort led to my goggles fogging up. I had also found my old Sorrels, but they are one size to small, so my feet were colder in them than my shoes. And now apparently it is still kind of a holiday, so my office is 16.3°C. Yay 2017?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #3989
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pi went for a spin yesterday as well, it was tough going on the unpowered, un shovelled sidewalks, pathways etc.

Will take a few days for fish creek to get back in shape and packed down again.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #3990
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting back on for the first ride of 2017 tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #3991
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Threw a Schwalbe studded winter tire on the front and a Kenda Klaw on the rear. Thought that studs on both tires might be a bit overkill and really slow when it's dry.

Added a rear fender, took the lights off my other bike and added a bottle cage. Looking forward to giving this bike a go this week!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #3992
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too bad this morning for my first ride of 2017. Definitely was slower going than before Christmas, lots of that hard packed and bumpy snow underneath on paths. Is that stuff any easier to ride on with mountain bike/fat bike size tires? I'm rolling on 35mm studded ones right now.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #3993
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not too bad this morning for my first ride of 2017. Definitely was slower going than before Christmas, lots of that hard packed and bumpy snow underneath on paths. Is that stuff any easier to ride on with mountain bike/fat bike size tires? I'm rolling on 35mm studded ones right now.
Anything that lets you run lower pressure will help soak up the bumps.

The higher the volume of tire, the lower the pressure you can safely go.

A tubeless setup lets you push the low pressures pretty far without worrying about pinch flats, but that seems to be jumping the shark for commuting unless you use the setup on trails as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #3994
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went for my first ride of 2017 - a mere 15 km, but the ride home from 1/2 way was into that stiff north wind. The temp wasn't an issue, but riding the SS CX on hard pack snow with wide tires was an effort into that wind, especially because I haven't been on the bike in over a month. The Nose Creek pathway has been scraped, but not down to pavement. I run Continental Winter Contact tires and they grip quite nicely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #3995
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

First commute of 2017 this morning. Rockhopper did admirably. My commute is 12.5km and it took me 10 minutes longer than normal. Half because of the snow and half because i'm very out of shape.

Couple things I need to fix on the bike. 20 year old quick release on the seat post does not work very well anymore. Really annoying to slide down 5" over the course of a ride. Front derailleur needs to be adjusted so I can get into granny gear. It was working when I tested it out, but this morning no luck.

Was definitely warm enough and saw lots of other riders out there. My goal this year is to ride once per week. Hopefully more in the summer but I set that as a baseline for myself.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #3996
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good job! Every day counts. Staying on top of maintenance and having everything working is pretty important in the winter, because getting stuck in the cold sucks a lot more, and making adjustments can freeze your hands pretty quick. How was it not having studs on the rear? I've got a couple monster hills and would not make it up them without it, but I could see flat paths being OK.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #3997
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, you may want to put some sort of fender on your front tire. With your cables on the downtube they are going to get full of salty grit pretty quickly.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #3998
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to throw a fender on my front tire also, when I get to work I wipe it down and clean off all the salt and grit, same when I get home.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #3999
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Front fender is a good idea. There is a wash bay in my parking garage so I will wash it down daily but adding a fender is cheap.

Having no studs on the rear was fine. I got off the bike to switch the front chain ring to the smallest one and when I got on it was a little slippy as I was heading up hill, but once I started going it wasn't a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #4000
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Set a new speed record this morning! 32 minutes, my slowest time ever! Ugh, that was like doing a VO2 MAX test for the entire commute. Loose unconsolidated snow is no fun to ride through. Hopefully it gets packed down for the ride home.

Now I need to go find somewhere that serves a trucker breakfast...
Closed Thread