Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #901
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think it’s CHCH in Ontario that has some great nostalgia on every day, Mon-Fri

The entire day is shows like Fantasy Island, Happy Days, Cheers, Starsky and Hutch, Mission Impossible, etc.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #902
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dog daycare makes me happy. Even with working from home, sending the mutts off for a day of playing and socializing gives me a day of quiet and they will be completely sacked out tomorrow too.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #903
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching another early playoff exit for the Oilers
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #904
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Watching another early playoff exit for the Oilers
Well except technically these weren't the playoffs yet.

Which means the Oilers have now missed the playoffs in 13 of the last 14 seasons. This entertains me even more.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #905
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At a birthday party at Charbar tonight and the organizers got some drag queens to perform. It was fantastic and great and no one seemed to not be enjoying themselves even the old folks who wouldn’t be into that sort of thing. Made me happy.

I’ll have to look up the local troupe that came. They deserve a shoutout.

Last edited by Weitz; 08-08-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #906
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

this rmmh...

after a number of recent stories of people being idiots to others with 'out of province' license plates, it was nice to see this...

Quote:
"Before we came to Kelowna, we heard about the vandalism to vehicles with Alberta license plates," said Schmigelsky. "We were at the beach today and when we came back to the rental car, we saw this. At first, we thought it would be a ****ty note, but it was completely opposite."
The note read "We're glad you're here in BC with us! Welcome."

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...iting_Kelowna/
Old 08-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #907
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
this rmmh...

after a number of recent stories of people being idiots to others with 'out of province' license plates, it was nice to see this...

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...iting_Kelowna/
That's nice. My friend's daughter is currently travelling out to BC for work. My friend was worried about what might happen along the way with the vehicle having Ontario plates. She has a sticker that she is a traveling nurse so hopefully that heads off any negative issues. She has a job in Terrace waiting.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #908
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like the best place for this story - one of the small moments that make the daily highlight reel.

So I've gone back to work (reluctantly) and I'm trying to find positives in it. One of the things I've always actually liked about my job is the cleaning staff - you meet all kinds of miserable people downtown, but the cleaners are always pleasant and kind. Because of the Covid times we live in, the usual crew is a little bit bigger and they're spending a bit more time in the room than they have in the past. Since they're here longer I'm getting to know them a bit better, and I'm finding that as a whole they've got a killer sense of humour. It's been my experience that humour doesn't easily travel across cultural or linguistic lines, but it seems we've found some common ground. A bit earlier one of the guys, a middle-aged Sikh man, comes into the gym, flexes his arms and shouts "I am STRONG!!!". Huge laughs follow. Made the day a bit brighter.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #909
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The slow cooker roast I made today was so ####ing good I almost crapped myself
And for lunch I air fried burgers.

My god. I am cooking the #### out of thigns.

Last edited by White Out 403; 08-11-2020 at 03:40 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #910
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The slow cooker roast I made today was so ####ing good I almost crapped myself
And for lunch I air fried burgers.

My god. I am cooking the #### out of thigns.
To piggyback your post, it RMMH that my parents recently bought a nice new smoker. My parents have always been high-end meat fans (lucky me!) so they have been smoking the #### out of things too. Recently got sent home with an entire smoked salmon and pork loin. My mom asked me to buy 2 massive 4 kg briskets and she promised to send me home with some when they are done.

Just the love of smoked meat in general RMMH.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #911
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
To piggyback your post, it RMMH that my parents recently bought a nice new smoker. My parents have always been high-end meat fans (lucky me!) so they have been smoking the #### out of things too. Recently got sent home with an entire smoked salmon and pork loin. My mom asked me to buy 2 massive 4 kg briskets and she promised to send me home with some when they are done.

Just to poke fun, but a 4 kg brisket is relatively small.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #912
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Whats the cost of entry into meat smoking for a total novice? And effort?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #913
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eight years after moving our office out of DT to an industrial area (higher ups wanted a campus feel and combined our office and shop locations into one facility) I have finally been moved back downtown. That makes me very happy. Shorter commute, less traffic, nicer scenery, and being able to reconnect with my network of people I was cut off from are all things I am looking forward too. Plus I will actually be in the same location as the people I work most closely with at work which makes life much easier. And bet of all I don't have to deal with the gong show that is Glenmore westbound each day anymore. I've wanted to slit my wrists every day on the drive home for eight years as I sat and wasted my life away on that road.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #914
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
That's nice. My friend's daughter is currently travelling out to BC for work. My friend was worried about what might happen along the way with the vehicle having Ontario plates. She has a sticker that she is a traveling nurse so hopefully that heads off any negative issues. She has a job in Terrace waiting.
I'd be far more concerned about the destination, than the journey. That place is rough!

https://www.terracestandard.com/news...ighest-in-b-c/
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #915
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just to poke fun, but a 4 kg brisket is relatively small.
Is it? I have no idea ...I've seen smaller ones at the store and I thought that was the regular size. When I bought two of the 4kg ones I was surprised they were that large (I bought them for my mom and she told me to get the 2 biggest). Thought she might think they were too big but she acted like brisket that size is a normal thing
Old 08-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #916
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it? I have no idea ...I've seen smaller ones at the store and I thought that was the regular size. When I bought two of the 4kg ones I was surprised they were that large (I bought them for my mom and she told me to get the 2 biggest). Thought she might think they were too big but she acted like brisket that size is a normal thing
Haha fair enough. I suppose it depends if its a full packer or not. The last brisket I got was 13 lbs after trimming I believe.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #917
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My parents smoker was about $500 I think. One of the mini-fridge style ones (not sure the exact model). This is their first smoker but it looks pretty simple. I don't have one myself so I can only comment on what my parents have told me.

My dad has an app on his phone that tells him the time, temp, needs more smoke chips, etc. So I don't think it's very difficult other then putting in the effort to put the meat in and keep an eye on the app.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #918
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Eight years after moving our office out of DT to an industrial area (higher ups wanted a campus feel and combined our office and shop locations into one facility) I have finally been moved back downtown. That makes me very happy. Shorter commute, less traffic, nicer scenery, and being able to reconnect with my network of people I was cut off from are all things I am looking forward too. Plus I will actually be in the same location as the people I work most closely with at work which makes life much easier. And bet of all I don't have to deal with the gong show that is Glenmore westbound each day anymore. I've wanted to slit my wrists every day on the drive home for eight years as I sat and wasted my life away on that road.

I hear ya... I worked out in Airdrie for years, then end of Barlow Trail too, and have been downtown for years. Now as I do my job search I'm trying to figure out if working in the boonies is a deal breaker or not, as compared to working downtown again, for the exact reasons you stated above. sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #919
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
I'd be far more concerned about the destination, than the journey. That place is rough!

https://www.terracestandard.com/news...ighest-in-b-c/
Yikes!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #920
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's actually not as intimidating as it seems, trust me I was in your shoes just over a year ago!

I invested in a pellet smoker to start, the "mini fridge" digital electric smokers are a bit cheaper but not nearly as good as a pellet smoker, and then it only goes up from there.

I think I paid around $500-650 for mine and its been absolutely wonderful to work with. A bag of pellets is about $20 which fills the hopper 2 times, and your hopper lasts about 4-5 smokes depending on what you're cooking and how long your smoke time is.

A lot of smoking can be left alone for extended periods of time, the prep work usually takes the longest (trimming briskets, seasoning the meats etc) but the reward/payoff is outstanding.

There are a LOT of good resources on youtube to help walk you through the process, though I find cook times are always different depending on your personal smoker so you'll learn as you go. Invest in a good digital thermometer ($50-100) and you'll be set.

Malcom Reed aka Howtobbqright on youtube is my go to for most things.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote