Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #161
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I haven't watched the finale yet, but I still really like the series. The Jane stuff is really interesting, as is the really weird one-off plots. I got crave this summer just to watch Doom Patrol. I agree season 1 is better, but season 2 is still better than most shows out there. The only thing I don't like is anything to do with cyborg. He really doesn't fit in the show. He was probably just thrown in my executives to have more name recognition.
I find Cyborg's character design pretty jarring too. I get that it's a TV show, and the budget is lower, but he just looks like a guy wearing hockey pads with a light glued to the front. It really pulls me out of the surreal retro vibe that the other characters have.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #162
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't watched the finale yet, but I still really like the series. The Jane stuff is really interesting, as is the really weird one-off plots. I got crave this summer just to watch Doom Patrol. I agree season 1 is better, but season 2 is still better than most shows out there. The only thing I don't like is anything to do with cyborg. He really doesn't fit in the show. He was probably just thrown in my executives to have more name recognition.
"Disaster" was a wee bit reactive and hyperbolic. I still like the show and characters, and I agree Crazy Jane's story is a strength.

After the first season this one felt quite disappointing. It seemed to be spinning its wheels all the way to the end.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #163
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I am surprised everyone likes Doom Patrol so much. The writing is terrible. I had to shut it off after ep3 (actually I didnt even finish this episode). Even for a DC comics super hero verse it is sub par.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #164
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm about half way through Perry Mason and I'm enjoying it. It's really well done.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #165
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I am surprised everyone likes Doom Patrol so much. The writing is terrible. I had to shut it off after ep3 (actually I didnt even finish this episode). Even for a DC comics super hero verse it is sub par.
You really need to embrace the weirdness to like it. It is definitely nothing like the modern DC movies of the broody hero that take themselves way too seriously. Doom Patrol is more like Mystery Men meets Supernatural. They are losers who find themselves in ridiculous situations.

I hate it when people tell me I need to watch a significant amount of episodes, or seasons, to get into a show. I have better things to do with time. So I won't tell you to do that. However, I will say I didn't really fall in love with the show until S1:E8 Danny Patrol. That was an extremely polarizing episode for fans. If you can get behind the idea of a gender-queer teleporting street, then you'll love it. If can't, well then maybe the show isn't for you.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #166
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You really need to embrace the weirdness to like it. It is definitely nothing like the modern DC movies of the broody hero that take themselves way too seriously. Doom Patrol is more like Mystery Men meets Supernatural. They are losers who find themselves in ridiculous situations.

I hate it when people tell me I need to watch a significant amount of episodes, or seasons, to get into a show. I have better things to do with time. So I won't tell you to do that. However, I will say I didn't really fall in love with the show until S1:E8 Danny Patrol. That was an extremely polarizing episode for fans. If you can get behind the idea of a gender-queer teleporting street, then you'll love it. If can't, well then maybe the show isn't for you.
Good call. That's the same episode that fully cemented to me what this show was, and I got on board.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #167
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watched "An American Pickle" last night. I did expect anything from that movie but it was a solid "meh" from me. I watched it but I couldn't tell you a single line from it. So very forgettable.
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #168
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Watched "An American Pickle" last night. I did expect anything from that movie but it was a solid "meh" from me. I watched it but I couldn't tell you a single line from it. So very forgettable.

It kind of ripped off a lot of the premise of “Look Who’s Back”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #169
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
"Polio Arm"? I thought it was ok, not sure if it was supposed to hit theaters before covid hit, I would not have been happy paying $15 for it
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #170
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I generally attempt to ignore all the works of Seth Rogen.

No offense intended but his understanding of humour and art and mine differ greatly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #171
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big fan of the new Perry Mason series. I'm not sure why Matthew Rhys doesn't get more roles.

Quite happy they have renewed it as a series.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #172
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Man, I know covid has delayed a lot of shows, but that was an absolute gut punch to hear that Barry was just starting to produce season 3 when covid hit, and will now restart early 2021 at the earliest.

God damnit, I was getting to that point of a show's offseason where it feels like any day they'll announce the new season is dropping in 2 or 3 months. This looks like they could be filming into next summer and releasing next fall....at the earliest.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #173
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been wondering when we’ll run out of new content. Thankfully I haven’t scratched the surface of most of the long running HBO series like True Blood or GoT or Sopranos.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:46 PM   #174
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^ one of these things is not like the other...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #175
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

'The Vow' is out now, which is the documentary version of the NXIVM story. It appears there's a lot of footage from 'the inside' because a guy (who left after being a big part of it) was a filmmaker who was documenting the story and such, which gives it a pretty interesting look.

The CBC Uncover podcast about it was really good and definitely worth a listen, IMO. And if you found it interesting, then the series will probably be right up there as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/uncover/unc...xivm-1.4675949
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 AM   #176
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
See, it depends what you are looking for. I thought it improved over the course of time as the characters each evolved over several seasons, so if you are impatient after episode 3, maybe I can’t offer anything.

There are longer term character arcs. There is a sense of realism I admired. Investigations proceed unevenly, and likely comparatively naturally to many series.
Sometimes things happen (deliberately) without foreshadowing. People may pursue a logical lead in a case that turns up being nothing, but then something may emerge. Not necessarily in a convenient for people to think they are clever because they picked up the writer’s clues all the time.

There is a great episode in season 4 with a major largely unforeseen event, and it is bloody well fabulous. Because the timing is not predictable or in hindsight, in visible line with foreshadowing, and then the actors deal with the aftermath in a natural way, as it is as surprising to them as it is to the viewers.

So yeah, really depends what you are looking for. The story being told, or how it’s told (or what blend of the two)

Back to disregarding the thread topic, if you want a cliffhanger every episode, and a guilty pleasure, watch Money Heist on Netflix. You will absolutely know if you are in or out after 3 episodes.
Really felt season 3 was poor, but glad we kept going. For the most part, really like Bosch overall. Characters seem to mesh well.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #177
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We watched episode 1 of Raised by Wolves last night. I liked it. It has kind of a Martian Chronicles vibe to it at the beginning. It has a very classic sci-fi feel for a while and then it becomes something else about half way through. You can tell Ridley Scott has some involvement with this. Check it out.

https://www.crave.ca/en/tv-shows/raised-by-wolves
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #178
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
We watched episode 1 of Raised by Wolves last night. I liked it. It has kind of a Martian Chronicles vibe to it at the beginning. It has a very classic sci-fi feel for a while and then it becomes something else about half way through. You can tell Ridley Scott has some involvement with this. Check it out.

https://www.crave.ca/en/tv-shows/raised-by-wolves
I'm up to date with it.

Its....interesting. I like the feel of the show, its well produced but it also has that trademark Ridley Scott "WTF is going on?" element to it.

Now in true Ridley Scott fashion...is he going to leave so many elements unexplained? Because that works okay in movie series that are less defined, but in a TV show people typically expect answers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #179
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
^^^ one of these things is not like the other...
Haven't watched the Sapranos, but I have to assume from this that it doesn't see a very very fast drop off in quality at some point in the series.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #180
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Haven't watched the Sapranos
Change that. The Sopranos is remarkable and absolutely worth watching.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post: