Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Mac Help!

Im running OS on my macbook and this morning my internal speakers stopped running. The headphone jack has a red light in it, and sound only works when I plug in an external speaker source. How can I fix it? Reading some other sites it says I disconnected the speakers incorrectly, but it gives no solution. TIA
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Take it to the gee...er....tech forum!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Easy to use my . . . .!!!!!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

well there goes all my views ...
Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

2 more questions, as I might as well fill this thread rather than start new ones:

What is a good program to use for torrents on a mac? Currently on my pc I am using bitlord and have no problems with it, but it wont work for mac. Also will I have to use mac torrents or can I continue to dl torrents from torrentspy and isohunt?

Oh and another thing broke this morning. My wireless mac mouse, will only scroll down and not up? Any way to fix this? I love when warrenties run out... 10 days ago

Again TIA
Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to hear about your speakers. To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start to help you with that. Is it possible to disable a device such as the speakers in OSX? I haven't had it long enough to know. Potentially, there might be something jammed into the sound output jack that is causing it to disable to speakers...

But I can suggest a torrent program: Azuerus. I use it on both the PC and the Mac and find it quite useful. Don't know if you can get it without the Vuse bloat though.

Torrent files themselves are platform independent, kinda like Zips archives. As long as you have a client for them, you don't need to be concerned about whether the torrent is compatible. That said, the files inside the torrent can be Mac or Windows only (really only applies to programs).

Sounds like your mouse is broken, hardware wise. If you can, try connecting it to another Mac and verify that it doesn't work before you buy a new one though. I doubt it's a software issue, but weirder things have happened.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mhh well there was no good news in that response...
Thanks for your help though, I dont follow you about the 'Vuse bloat' though. No idea what that means. The speakers arent broken, this red light is supposed to come on but I just dont know how or why and what to do to fix it .

Last edited by iggypop; 01-02-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

if you want a torrent app with less bloat you could try transmission
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use bits on wheels but its crash happy in 10.5 so im looking around too.

Your audio problem is this:

It's stuck in optical audio mode. There's a little switch inside the minijack connector that's stuck somehow. You can try to catch it with some earphones but I would try to zap your PRAM first.

Shutdown the MacBook and turn it back on while holding CMD-OPTION-P-R. I think this will fix it but i'm not 100%.

On second thought this may not work but give it a shot. If you have access to an optical audio cable you could try plugging it in and out.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Awesome thanks barnes! That trick worked with the speakers! Mhh now to figure out some trick with this mouse..
Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
Awesome thanks barnes! That trick worked with the speakers! Mhh now to figure out some trick with this mouse..
If it's a wireless (or wired) Apple Mighty Mouse, the trick to cleaning the scroll ball is to hold the mouse upside down, and run it back and forth really, really vigorously on a textured surface. Jeans work well. Use a lot of pressure and a lot of speed.

Believe it or not, this is the official Apple fix for the Mighty Mouse getting gunked up... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417

-Scott
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
If it's a wireless (or wired) Apple Mighty Mouse, the trick to cleaning the scroll ball is to hold the mouse upside down, and run it back and forth really, really vigorously on a textured surface. Jeans work well. Use a lot of pressure and a lot of speed.

Believe it or not, this is the official Apple fix for the Mighty Mouse getting gunked up... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417

-Scott
Awesome thanks! That worked as well!