Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #781
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You realize that his most recent injury occurred this month, right? He was trying to rehab it and get back and it wasn't working and it finally broke him.
unless there's something medically that changed drastically rendering Luck unable to play since training camp started.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #782
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I get and agree with all the statements about players not having to risk their bodies if they don't want, how hard rehab and getting in shape are, fans not having to live with the consequences of the rigors of football, all that. I think it's extremely valid and I also think no one of significance would have a problem with this if it was April. But why are we pretending it's not 2 weeks before the season starts? That's the reason I'd be peeved if I was a Colts fan. Retire if you want, but we're pretty late in the game to leave your team in the lurch, unless there's something medically that changed drastically rendering Luck unable to play since training camp started.
Why would that matter? If you followed the Colts you would know that Luck had lightly participated in only two days of camp. Brissett has been taking first reps all training camp so it's not like Luck was taking all the first reps in practice and up and quit leaving the Colts will an ill-prepared backup. Brissett is as ready to go as he would have been if Luck retired prior to training camp. It's clear Luck didn't prepare to retire at the opening of training camp but got increasingly frustrated with his leg getting worse not better and it finally got to the point where he felt it was for the best to walk away rather than try and play through the pain. Take a look at his injury history and ask yourself if you would be hard on your own son if he quit football after sustaining these injuries;

-Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
-partially torn abdomen
-a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
-at least 1 concussion
-a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
-calf/ankle issue

Yeah they get paid a lot of money but they are people just like you and I at the end of the day.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-27-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #783
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had not officially decided to retire yet but was booed off the sideline once rumor broke that I was considering retirement then I think that would finalize my decision.

Screw going out there and putting my health on the line for the "fans" when they are booing me in a situation like that while injured.

And then all the negative reaction on social media would just cement it for me.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #784
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Unrelated to scummy Indy fans for some reason the Dolphins are trying to trade for Clowney? Feels like a weird move for a bottom feeder team to make. They’re several years at best from competing why do you do that?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #785
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Unrelated to scummy Indy fans for some reason the Dolphins are trying to trade for Clowney? Feels like a weird move for a bottom feeder team to make. They’re several years at best from competing why do you do that?
I assume they feel they will be drafting a franchise QB next April and will try to win while he's on his rookie contract. The problem with Clowney is that he's never hit double digit sacks despite having a HOF caliber player on the other side of the line commanding double teams which is a bit of a red flag. I think he's a good player but he's not at the calibre of Donald, Mack, Miller, Ingram, Heyward, etc and he wants to be paid as much or more than most of those guys.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #786
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's had 9.5 and 9.0 though ... and let's be honest, he himself commanded the double teams when Watt was out for the majority of the 16 and 17 seasons. Clowney's a rare player, you can use him anywhere from 3-4 DE to OLB and he'll do well. Athletic freak and turns out he's pretty awesome when he manages to stay healthy. It's mind-boggling to me that Houston didn't sign him long-term, especially since Watt is 30. Those pass rushers are rare, and those with Clowney's versatility and athleticism are basically unicorns.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #787
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why would that matter? If you followed the Colts you would know that Luck had lightly participated in only two days of camp. Brissett has been taking first reps all training camp so it's not like Luck was taking all the first reps in practice and up and quit leaving the Colts will an ill-prepared backup. Brissett is as ready to go as he would have been if Luck retired prior to training camp. It's clear Luck didn't prepare to retire at the opening of training camp but got increasingly frustrated with his leg getting worse not better and it finally got to the point where he felt it was for the best to walk away rather than try and play through the pain. Take a look at his injury history and ask yourself if you would be hard on your own son if he quit football after sustaining these injuries;

-Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
-partially torn abdomen
-a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
-at least 1 concussion
-a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
-calf/ankle issue

Yeah they get paid a lot of money but they are people just like you and I at the end of the day.
Andrew luck is a year older than me, so I can see his perspective. Yeah, as a smart person who has interests beyond football with tens of millions in the bank and that rap sheet of injuries in my late 20s I would think about retiring too. I already said I agree with the arguments about this guy getting to run his own life, they're 100% valid. But with the exception of the calf/ankle issue all those things had happened by the end of last season, and it sounds like he's been mulling this for a while. If you're so close to wanting to retire that all it would take is a mild-sounding calf/ankle issue to put you over the edge then retire before the draft, not two weeks before the season. There's a certain point where retiring really effs your team over and I don't care how many reps Brisset was taking in training camp, the team was expecting their Pro Bowl QB to play QB and push them to the superbowl. They could have had four months and a draft to prepare for a post-Luck world and now they have two weeks. That's where Luck opens himself up to criticism, justifiably so.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #788
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
he's had 9.5 and 9.0 though ... and let's be honest, he himself commanded the double teams when Watt was out for the majority of the 16 and 17 seasons. Clowney's a rare player, you can use him anywhere from 3-4 DE to OLB and he'll do well. Athletic freak and turns out he's pretty awesome when he manages to stay healthy. It's mind-boggling to me that Houston didn't sign him long-term, especially since Watt is 30. Those pass rushers are rare, and those with Clowney's versatility and athleticism are basically unicorns.
The fear is that Clowney's knees are ticking time bombs. A long term deal comes with a lot of risk, especially if it takes star player money to get it done.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #789
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

How will Cleveland handle new expectations and attention? Fans are excited but also wonder how it could all go wrong anyway in the Factory Of Sadness. Until they beat the Steelers on a regular basis, I don't think they have really arrived.

Welcome to Cleveland, Where the Browns Are True Contenders

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/20/cl...vtAfD32D5kD8vs

Quote:
“We’ve seen it all.” “The dynasty.” “The heartbreak.” “We always have had hope.” “That’s how we are raised in Cleveland.” “We don’t give up ...”

They [fans] are optimistic, of course. And cautious, of course, after all they’ve been through. They talk about a home playoff game, a winning season—or just winning the first game of the season, which the Browns haven’t done since 2004. They’re actively trying to manage expectations, but they also want to enjoy the ride, this feeling that they haven’t had in so long, anticipation mixed with apprehension. Still. They can’t help but wonder what it would mean for the Browns—their Browns, the old soul-of-the-city Browns—to return.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #790
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
If you're so close to wanting to retire that all it would take is a mild-sounding calf/ankle issue to put you over the edge then retire before the draft, not two weeks before the season.
The Colts were downplaying the calf issue as "week to week" but this is also a team who downplayed a shoulder issue that cost him a year of his career the same way. Insider reports that I saw from various sources had him missing the first four games of the season minimum and soft tissue injuries like that are notorious for flaring up again and being difficult to manage.

Go read Gronk's speech from the other day where he talks about how the thigh bruise he suffered in the Super Bowl this year was basically the reason he retired. This is a guy who's come back from various back surgeries, etc., but at some point it just wears you down. I don't think it's really appropriate for armchair QBs like us to tell a player when he's given enough of his body or how much pain is an acceptable amount to endure before they do what's best for themselves.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #791
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
How will Cleveland handle new expectations and attention? Fans are excited but also wonder how it could all go wrong anyway in the Factory Of Sadness. Until they beat the Steelers on a regular basis, I don't think they have really arrived.

Welcome to Cleveland, Where the Browns Are True Contenders

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/20/cl...vtAfD32D5kD8vs
I love it, let the hype train roll ... the faster it goes, the sweeter the tears will be. It's really easy to win the offseason, but we'll see once the real games start. For once nobody talks about the Steelers and the Browns are everyone's darling ... I like that from a Steelers fan's perspective. I think they'll surprise a few people this year. We'll see how Baker does now that there's NFL tape for teams to dissect.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #792
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What difference does that make? If you're someone who takes pro sports seriously enough to instinctively boo a guy for making this kind of decision, you're a mouth-breathing chud.
Or you're a fan that hasn't gotten all the information yet?

Saw a prediction on SI that had the Colts making it to the super bowl, even with the Luck retirement. I'm not so sure about that.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #793
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I love it, let the hype train roll ... the faster it goes, the sweeter the tears will be. It's really easy to win the offseason, but we'll see once the real games start. For once nobody talks about the Steelers and the Browns are everyone's darling ... I like that from a Steelers fan's perspective. I think they'll surprise a few people this year. We'll see how Baker does now that there's NFL tape for teams to dissect.
The Browns will make for a very interesting story this year. I feel there will be a lot of highs and lows. Kitchens has gone from a coach that's spent his entire career coaching small personnel groups like QB's, running backs, tight ends to an NFL head coach overseeing the entire team and it's coaches. It's a big leap and I'm not sure it will be made easy by all the big personalities in the locker room. Maybe they will live up to the hype or maybe it will blow up. Should make for a good story this season.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #794
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Colts were downplaying the calf issue as "week to week" but this is also a team who downplayed a shoulder issue that cost him a year of his career the same way. Insider reports that I saw from various sources had him missing the first four games of the season minimum and soft tissue injuries like that are notorious for flaring up again and being difficult to manage.

Go read Gronk's speech from the other day where he talks about how the thigh bruise he suffered in the Super Bowl this year was basically the reason he retired. This is a guy who's come back from various back surgeries, etc., but at some point it just wears you down. I don't think it's really appropriate for armchair QBs like us to tell a player when he's given enough of his body or how much pain is an acceptable amount to endure before they do what's best for themselves.
I'm not gonna defend the Colts training staff because it really sounds like they've buggered up Luck's injuries in the past. Wouldn't blame him for being frustrated with them or this injury. And I did see Gronk's statement and I feel for that guy too and would have done what he did as well. He's another guy who's got other stuff to do besides football, and looking at the risk/reward calculus for someone who's 30 of continued punishment with increased risk of bad injury vs money in the bank I'd do the same thing. The difference is he retired in March. He knew he was done and he called it, and he's not as important as QB. I can agree and sympathize with Lucks reasoning in all of this but the timing is whack, and yeah I'd be disappointed if I was Colts management or a fan.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #795
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Anyone have DAZN for football? Is it worth getting? do they have blacked out games?

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #796
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Anyone have DAZN for football? Is it worth getting? do they have blacked out games?
There are no blackouts but there's fairly robust debate on whether it's worth it. Some people don't think the quality is up to snuff. I think it's been pretty good this preseason and thought they got their act together down the stretch last season.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #797
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bears kicking situation is going to be hilarious to watch this year. Did the Eagles break Matt Nagy?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #798
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Browns will make for a very interesting story this year. I feel there will be a lot of highs and lows. Kitchens has gone from a coach that's spent his entire career coaching small personnel groups like QB's, running backs, tight ends to an NFL head coach overseeing the entire team and it's coaches. It's a big leap and I'm not sure it will be made easy by all the big personalities in the locker room. Maybe they will live up to the hype or maybe it will blow up. Should make for a good story this season.

By week 4, maybe 5, as soon as they start travelling and get opponent media members start asking him things, Beckham will become an annoying distraction to that team. Either going on still about being dispresepcted by the Giants, or, not getting the ball enough already in Cleveland. Mayfield has good odds that he will be sticking his foot in his mouth at some point too, about something. It’s not clear if Kitchens will have enough respect yet to really stamp that stuff out.

Tomlin couldn’t keep the Steelers in check, and in the old days, no way Antonio Brown would’ve lasted in Pittsburgh long enough to make it to be traded to Oakand with his antics, so now even Chucky now has no choice but to put up with a guy who put himself front and center in the headlines the last few weeks, for all the wrong reasons, escpecislly to old school football guys.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote