Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Cell phone contract after someone passes

My mom recently passed away from cancer at the end of July and like most people she had a cell phone. Her iPhone is under contract with Telus, I have contacted Telus and was told that the contract must still be bought out even though she is deceased, it is about half way through the contract term at the moment.

Has anyone experienced this before, is this a normal practice ?
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

My condolences for you loss. I haven't dealt with this type of situation but to elaborate on the carrier side, the amount owing is strictly for the device. I don't think Telus has anything in fees.

It's a heartless thing to say but from their perspective if the phone was paid for in full or agreed to as part of a 2 year agreement, the cost will of the phone will likely end up being paid for one way or another.

Last edited by Anduril; 10-25-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
My mom recently passed away from cancer at the end of July and like most people she had a cell phone. Her iPhone is under contract with Telus, I have contacted Telus and was told that the contract must still be bought out even though she is deceased, it is about half way through the contract term at the moment.

Sorry for your loss.

When I worked for Telus a decade ago, they usually had people send in the death certificate, and then would waive the cancellation fees. No idea how it is now, but I would tweet Telus and ask them in a public forum what their position is on contracts for people who pass away.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

IANAL but the contract is in your mom's name, so if they won't waive the cancellation fee, her estate will need to pay it out. In the event that it doesn't get paid, I can't imagine they would go to any great lengths to collect, but it depends on what the total owing and what assets her estate has.

I would first find out what the buyout is, and have her estate pay it. If there is no equity, then I can't see how they can get paid. I would not pay this out of your money though.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Odd. When my father passed 2 years ago, I was on the phone with Telus that night (we knew it was coming) and they absolutely knocked it out of the park with helping. They cancelled the plan (still had a contract, though I can't recall how long it was for) and actually credited my moms account to help her out with stuff for a few months. All in all it was probably a 5 minute conversation.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This isn't legal advice at all, but I would simply call them up and inform them of the death.

If they don't cancel it for you, just don't pay it.

The odds of them pursuing it in court are effectively zero.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post

When my dad passed Telus cancelled his contract, and even gave my mom a credit to help her for a couple of months.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Odd. When my father passed 2 years ago, I was on the phone with Telus that night (we knew it was coming) and they absolutely knocked it out of the park with helping. They cancelled the plan (still had a contract, though I can't recall how long it was for) and actually credited my moms account to help her out with stuff for a few months. All in all it was probably a 5 minute conversation.
I find with companies like this it all comes down to the person on the other end. Sometimes you get someone competent and they will help and give an answer, other times you get an idiot and they will give the wrong answer hoping you just go away.
It has happened many times where I get a crap answer then call back and get someone new who gives an entirely different answer and will help.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I find with companies like this it all comes down to the person on the other end. Sometimes you get someone competent and they will help and give an answer, other times you get an idiot and they will give the wrong answer hoping you just go away.
It has happened many times where I get a crap answer then call back and get someone new who gives an entirely different answer and will help.
Totally this. It is time consuming if you are on hold for extended periods of time but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to just hang up and call back.

Probably goes without saying but always make sure you speak to L&R. They are who you get when you prompt to cancel. I find they are always the best to speak with.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote