Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #41
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone missed out on the BB&B sale for the PS4, I bought one with an extra controller and charging stand but am deciding to stick with the new Xbox - so I'd be willing to sell it for what I paid to a CP member as opposed to just returning it.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #42
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Someone already mentioned ea access thats good for essentially all sports games.

I dumped it a few months ago in exchange for game pass which is supposed to be dicounted to 1$ on black friday which means you can play Hears 4,Halo Guardians and over a hundread other games.after the first month ist about 11$ a month.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #43
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late to reply, but based on OP's criteria, if I were him, I'd ask friends for a console collecting dust and borrow it or buy it. If that's not available, grabbing an XBOX360 or PS3 + games for dirt cheap on Kijiji is pretty easy. It's not like OP suddenly gets eye cancer because he plays a lower gen console on a modern TV.

IMO, OP doesn't need and shouldn't jump directly to the latest gen. There's plenty of gems in between PS1 and the current gem consoles worth playing. IMO watching the evolution of gaming is a huge part of my enjoyment of the games, not just playing the latest and greatest (which a lot is a clone of earlier masterpieces anyways). Major bonus is that he can grab fantastic games for like $15 or less.

Personally, I went through something similar a few years back. I didn't jump on the new console, dusted off an old PS3 and enjoyed myself with games like The last of us, Uncharted, Dark Souls, Dead Island, Sleeping Dogs etc. and had a fantastic time while also being happy I could spent $5-15 on a game and not feel bad if I didn't play it. It was nice to look up reviews and choose only awesome games to my liking and skipping out on crappy gaming experience.

I only bought a PS4 because a good deal popped up on CP and I decided I might as well get a later gen console to go with my new home and TV.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 02:49 AM   #44
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Late to reply, but based on OP's criteria, if I were him, I'd ask friends for a console collecting dust and borrow it or buy it. If that's not available, grabbing an XBOX360 or PS3 + games for dirt cheap on Kijiji is pretty easy. It's not like OP suddenly gets eye cancer because he plays a lower gen console on a modern TV.

IMO, OP doesn't need and shouldn't jump directly to the latest gen. There's plenty of gems in between PS1 and the current gem consoles worth playing. IMO watching the evolution of gaming is a huge part of my enjoyment of the games, not just playing the latest and greatest (which a lot is a clone of earlier masterpieces anyways). Major bonus is that he can grab fantastic games for like $15 or less.

Personally, I went through something similar a few years back. I didn't jump on the new console, dusted off an old PS3 and enjoyed myself with games like The last of us, Uncharted, Dark Souls, Dead Island, Sleeping Dogs etc. and had a fantastic time while also being happy I could spent $5-15 on a game and not feel bad if I didn't play it. It was nice to look up reviews and choose only awesome games to my liking and skipping out on crappy gaming experience.

I only bought a PS4 because a good deal popped up on CP and I decided I might as well get a later gen console to go with my new home and TV.
Yeah, I've been kind of thinking the same. EB Games has some cheap XBOX 360's and I could likely pick up Forza 4 and a few other games for pretty cheap. Or I may just forget about it all for now and put the money towards a wide angle lens.

Last edited by shane_c; 11-23-2017 at 07:49 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
The Best Buy flyer says the XBOX S for $230 is a doorcrasher. If that means I have to go into the store then I'll pass and look for it elsewhere online at that price.
Amazon has it for $230 right now:

https://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-One-500GB...808TGC0MEH8XP6
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #46
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Microsoft store also has it for 229
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I've been kind of thinking the same. EB Games has some cheap XBOX 360's and I could likely pick up Forza 4 and a few other games for pretty cheap. Or I may just forget about it all for now and put the money towards a wide angle lens.
I just looked at the prices of XBOX360 on EB games and my jaw dropped. $60 for a gen 1/2 360 with a single controller? $100-150 for a slim?

No. Please don't pay those prices to that company.

Go on Kijiji and fish around for prices. I'm guessing some people don't mind an extra $50-100 bucks for Black Friday or Cyber Monday shopping or even Christmas if it's a quick convenient deal. You should be able to get everything you want (XBOX slim + controller + Forza 4 and maybe even more) for $100 on Kijiji.

Or if you want to go brick and mortar, maybe give these guys a call. At least it's a local business. They have a 20% Black Friday sale tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/vgtcalgary/...type=3&theater

Last edited by DoubleF; 11-23-2017 at 11:36 AM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #48
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Add me to the list of people lauding EA Access. Amazing value. Not only are there recent Xbox One games but also Xbox 360 games. Also you get the 10 hour trials of all new EA releases. Great stuff so long as you enjoy EA games.
Don't mean to sound like an ad for it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #49
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

EA sucks tho
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #50
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a 360 that's collecting dust I'm sure I could part with if you're interested. No sense paying retail used prices. Probably even have Forza and some NHL games.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote