Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #121
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I have a different view on the refurb stuff lately. Chances are, if there's a refurb, there was a defect in the manufacturing process (bad run of parts, error in certain batch). So even if you buy new, you could still be subject to that same defect. A refurb is generally "re-certified" by the manufacturer as well, so it could be considered new again.

I bought my TV from these guys:
https://www.tvoutlet.ca

have never had a problem with it, they provide warranty as well (can't vouch for it, since I haven't had to use it). But it saved me a ton of money buying through here! My TV was $4000 when it first launched, I bought a refurb at the end of the year when new models were just starting to come out, and I was able to snag one for $1500. (check out the Samsung QLED models on there, good prices)
I understand the sentiment, but what annoys me is that refurbs often have warranties after purchase of something like 90 days. Open box usually has the typical minimum of 1 year and on occasion, you can even tack on some extended warranty as if it were brand new. If you can get normal warranty on a refurb though, by all means, go for it because it's the same theory as open box.

The part that annoys the crap out of me is that a refurb is sold in a way that the vendor tries to disassociate themselves from it as soon as possible. For something that's slightly more expensive, I'm not taking that dice roll. Not so for an open box/display models. I'll have the same odds and same support as someone who brought brand new, even if there's an issue with a product line.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #122
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's your anecdote Jayswin... The sports bar I'm sitting in has 6 TCL 55" TV's.

If you want to come by and see mine, shoot me a PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #123
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doublé postage
Old 11-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #124
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey gang. I’ll be looking to spring for a new TV on / in the run up to Black Friday. Anyone else in the market? Looking for some help and guidance on good deals.

We’re looking for 55” and undecided on the value 4K end of the market (seems to be ~$700) and the higher end OLED end (seems to be in the $2000’s).

Only issue is it probably has to be online since were in Fort McMurray. About the only applicable big box retailer up here is Walmart. Appreciate the help.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #125
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Hey gang. I’ll be looking to spring for a new TV on / in the run up to Black Friday. Anyone else in the market? Looking for some help and guidance on good deals.

We’re looking for 55” and undecided on the value 4K end of the market (seems to be ~$700) and the higher end OLED end (seems to be in the $2000’s).

Only issue is it probably has to be online since were in Fort McMurray. About the only applicable big box retailer up here is Walmart. Appreciate the help.
I have the 55" LG C9 OLED that I bought from Costco and it's an amazing TV. The only caveats I would give is it will perform better in a dark room, and burnin is a possibility. The blacks are sexy and it does HDR very well even though it doesn't get as bright as LED TVs. It's perfect for gaming with almost no lag.

I got it from Costco. It's about $2200 right now which is a lot less than I paid earlier this year.

I would look back at the posts in this thread from people who bought Vizio TVs. They seem to be the best value and unless you need the features of an OLED (and the drawbacks aren't concerns) that's the way I would go.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #126
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

4K in a 55" tv is basically useless. At that screen size, you need to sit 6 feet or closer to even be able to get anything out of the resolution. Meanwhile, in terms of overall picture quality, That value end 4k will probably be a worse TV than a plasma from six or seven years ago. Meanwhile, OLEDs are the best TVs ever made. This is a pretty easy choice.

The harder choice is going OLED vs going for a good LED about 1000-1200 or so.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #127
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
4K in a 55" tv is basically useless. At that screen size, you need to sit 6 feet or closer to even be able to get anything out of the resolution. Meanwhile, in terms of overall picture quality, That value end 4k will probably be a worse TV than a plasma from six or seven years ago. Meanwhile, OLEDs are the best TVs ever made. This is a pretty easy choice.

I hate to admit that you're right because I have a 55" Samsung KS8500 which is 4K and our room is actually too big for it to sit as far back as we do and properly enjoy 4K... although the HDR is pretty kick-ass, which in my opinion should be the higher priority where picture quality is concerned.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #128
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Makes sense. Thank you. Couple follow ups...1) Are there “bad” OLEDs or OLED features to avoid? 2) What constitutes a “good” LED?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #129
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Makes sense. Thank you. Couple follow ups...1) Are there “bad” OLEDs or OLED features to avoid? 2) What constitutes a “good” LED?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewire...s/best-tv/amp/

Your search starts and ends here.

I bought my TCL based on a Wirecutter review a few years back. It's been excellent.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #130
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

I've read it's closer to 8' but it's true that distance matters. Even a 65" is "useless" if you're over 10' away so it's better to sit as close to the optimal distance as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewire...s/best-tv/amp/

Your search starts and ends here.

I bought my TCL based on a Wirecutter review a few years back. It's been excellent.
Yeah, that's a good list to check out. I think rtings.com does good work as well.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...-on-the-market
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #131
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I looked at TCL 6 series but needed 65” and only Best Buy had that series in 55”

The picture looked good, much better than the 5 series Costco sells.

Yet I am a bit of a display snob. I could not resist the LG C9.

TCL 6 series is the best budget TV out there, but if you can budget OLED its not close. Just different tech. But if your budget points you either way I think you will be happy.

EDIT: also a factor is what you are using it for. Gaming I think TCL would be better. I gamed on my C9, and it just doesn’t get super bright enough. I use my plasma for that. However for movie watching OLED is far better, and sports. I love watch Flames games on it.

Last edited by OldDutch; 11-10-2019 at 10:58 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #132
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I was buying right now, it would be the TCL or the LG OLED. That middle ground in the market to me is just compromising and still paying a lot.
4k doesn't matter anymore because they are all 4k. Even before when you could still get 1080p, what to look for is contrast, colour gamut, refresh rate and smart features if you need them.
Now isn't the best time to get an OLED, you want to wait until they are ready to roll the next line and start deeper discounts. Last year's models were going for around $1700-1800 a few months ago for a 55"
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #133
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

And of course after reading you guys here and a bunch of stuff online, now all I want is an OLED. Damn new tech marketing wizardry working on me. Maybe last year’s models (eg the C8 or B8) will go on sale for Black Friday. Any reason to avoid it? It seems the only difference is a degree of future proofing.

Last edited by Frequitude; 11-11-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #134
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been in the market for a while but my sense is... no. There's no reason not to buy last year's, except in cases where this year's drops in price to such an extent that they're almost the same. They seem to never actually change the panels themselves on the OLEDs, just the bells and whistles. Maybe something's changed for this year's models to make the panel significantly better, but I doubt it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #135
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
And of course after reading you guys here and a bunch of stuff online, now all I want is an OLED. Damn new tech marketing wizardry working on me. Maybe last year’s models (eg the C8 or B8) will go on sale for Black Friday. Any reason to avoid it? It seems the only difference is a degree of future proofing.
C9 and C8 use the same panel. The biggest changes are HDMI2.1 and the a9 processor. If you don’t care about eARC, VRR or lower input lag then there aren’t any huge reasons to pay more for the C9.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #136
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won’t be gaming at all on this TV so I don’t think I care too much about that stuff right?It’ll mostly be sports, movies, and TV shows.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #137
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I won’t be gaming at all on this TV so I don’t think I care too much about that stuff right?It’ll mostly be sports, movies, and TV shows.
Yeah it’s mostly gaming improvements.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-lg-c9/600/802
Old 11-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #138
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 65 inch LG C9 is now my new favourite tv to get next Black Friday for hopefully much less than it is right now.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #139
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. Next year is probably the sweet spot for the current gen of OLEDs as the new tech is going to start being talked about or even included in some top end models. 2023-2025 is probably the sweet spot to get into those new models as they'll be prohibitively expensive for a couple of years just like OLEDs were.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #140
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just saw C9 65” on Amazon for $2400

Grab that TV for that price!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post: