Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #41
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Agreed, Gaudreau has looked his best without Monahan all year. Monahan is bringing down his line mates consistently. Rather see Bennett with Gaudreau and maybe even try something new and let Stajan up on that line. At least Stajan will be good defensively. Don't see that as a long time solution obviously but it might wake up Monahan being demoted to the fourth line.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #42
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Calgary has beaten
Minny X2
St. Louis
Chicago
SJ
Columbus
Anaheim

I'm sure there are more...bit of a myth they can't beat teams above them
I think the last time they did it was December 4 against Anaheim. Since then, they've been 0-3-0, with the rest of their games against teams below them (9-3-1 I think?)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #43
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hoping the offence wakes up tonight. I think this will be a close one. I'll say 3-2 Flames in OT.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think the last time they did it was December 4 against Anaheim. Since then, they've been 0-3-0, with the rest of their games against teams below them (9-3-1 I think?)
Bad teams win games every now and then. Good teams lose. And not all of the teams below Calgary suck so much that they can't be expected to give Calgary trouble. The Jets are a pretty good example, with plenty of decent players, they just needed good goaltending to win (which they got the other night). When the Flames lost to Vancouver it was a fluke, and Miller was terrific (like he's been during their recent little streak). Calgary beat Dallas, which has great forwards. They crushed Anaheim (then lost a game in which they outshot them).
Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #45
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Ok this hasn't been working so time to switch it up a bit.

I will donate $20 to CP if Bennett DOESN'T score a goal tonight.
But will you donate $60 when he doesn't score 3?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Yet people complained that "playoff teams don't lose to teams below them"

even though every single one of them does...unless there is some undefeated team I don't know about
Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #47
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of keeping Mony and Johnny together, they aren't the Sedins. They've been more successful away from eachtother. Also having Chiasson on the top line sucks but this team has no really other options at RW at least for now. Sucks but the lack of a top line RW still is a massive weak spot for this team and will limit them down the line. Also Brodie and Wideman suck as a pair, they have the entire season. Brodie has been obviously poor but continuing to put him with the anchor Wideman is doing him no favors. They might as well put Kulak in the top 4 and see what happens, can't be worse than what that pair is currently doing.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #48
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

5-3 Flames
Old 01-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #49
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Agreed, Gaudreau has looked his best without Monahan all year. Monahan is bringing down his line mates consistently. Rather see Bennett with Gaudreau and maybe even try something new and let Stajan up on that line. At least Stajan will be good defensively. Don't see that as a long time solution obviously but it might wake up Monahan being demoted to the fourth line.
Agree with the first half of your statement but if Stajan gets paired with Johnny imma rip my eyes out. I'm a supporter of the notion that Bennett should either play with Johnny or be moved to the top wing on that line and Jankowski is brought up to play on that 3rd line as a center. I know I know the latter is very optimistic but Bennett obviously struggles to produce with the Flames 3rd line guys (Brower, Ferland, Versteeg). I'm a bit confused on why Bennett has such a short leash on the top line with Johnny, Johnny put up his best point totals with Bennett. Having Monahan and Chiasson on the same line forces Johnny to try and do everything. It's so blatantly obvious and I don't really see how much will change from last game to this one. Not to mention Monahan has looked his best playing with Versteeg. The team has looked a lot like the team of the first 2 weeks of the season and that is a terrible sign.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #50
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Here's what is weird to me re: the line combos. Gulutzan loves his RHF/D on their natural side. Yet he has Versteeg on Bennett's left. Sure, thats where Versteeg has been when playing alongside Monahan & Brouwer. He needed to be there. But not now. Why is Ferland lining up on the right?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #51
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bah. Put JJ in the press box until the all star break
Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #52
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #53
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

9,733,468,863,112,436,037,388,414,636 - 23 Flames tonight.

The list of the top 20 all time NHL scorers is replaced by the 20 Flames dressed for tonight's game, yes that includes Both goalies.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #54
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Here's what is weird to me re: the line combos. Gulutzan loves his RHF/D on their natural side. Yet he has Versteeg on Bennett's left. Sure, thats where Versteeg has been when playing alongside Monahan & Brouwer. He needed to be there. But not now. Why is Ferland lining up on the right?
Neal's article on Player's Tribune summarized this aspect of wingers nicely. If you're more of a playmaker you want the puck on the outside - if you're a shooter, inside.

Quote:
One thing to notice is that I’m a left-handed shot playing the right wing here. That might seem like a small thing, but it’s actually a huge deal. I started my career as a left winger, so I was always receiving passes with the puck outside my body, away from the net. If you’re a playmaker, you might prefer this. I didn’t know how big of a difference this made until I got traded to Pittsburgh. Dan Bylsma walked in the first day and asked, “Hey, do you think you could play right wing?”

I’m like, “Uh, well I’ve never played it before, so I’m not sure?”

He says, “Okay great, you’re playing right wing.”

Once I got used to it, I really elevated my game, because whenever I shot the puck on my forehand, the release point was closer to the net. I was a threat at all times, especially on one-timers. I ended up scoring 40 goals the next season. So whenever a guy switches wings, it has a lot of implications for how he plays. (Thanks, Dan. You were one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #55
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still feel Gaudreau - Monahan has been better than Gaudreau - Bennett. That said I would actually like to see a whole roster mix up. We haven't been producing goals and hate to say it but maybe break up the 3M line for a bit.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Ferland - Bennett - Chiasson
Bouma - Stajan - Hathaway

Top 6 mite be a little stacked, but if you can get them going then you can try and spread the scoring again. As it is now we just had lack lustre lines through out. It's great if you an spread the scoring/talent, but if you aren't scoring what's the point ?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #56
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

GO FLAMES GO!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #57
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dunno. I watched yesterdays game and San Jose beat Edmonton last night and both teams looked good. If the same scoreless Flames who played the past few games come out to play, I can't see a win here.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #58
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dell, not Jones is starting tonight
Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #59
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames win 2-1 in OT
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #60
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre Ice channels for:
Wednesday, January 11
Sharks at Flames, 1930h/7:30 pm Mountain
Flames feed in red

Game is on Sportsnet One in Canada

USA
Indemand - Game SD4 Game HD4
Directv - 773 SD 773-1 HD
Dish - 578 SD 9545 HD Hopper Channel 475-06

Sirius Radio-- Siri 91 (Internet 924)
XM Radio-- XM 91 (Internet 924)
SXM Radio-- SXM 91 (Internet 924)

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Closed Thread

Tags
bugle sounds , charge begins , go flames , win