Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #121
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Dickey gives up far too many home runs at home.

Walks Grossman, who homered on him in the top of the 5th, only to give up a HR to Villar right after. .

Lawrie looks exactly like he did at the beginning of last season...which is terrible.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #122
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post

Lawrie looks exactly like he did at the beginning of last season...which is terrible.
His offense is off for sure, but he is playing really...really good defensive game.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #123
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
His offense is off for sure, but he is playing really...really good defensive game.
It's unfortunately not enough for him simply to provide defense. It's time his bat catches up - he's crucial to the bottom of the order. The offense needs to be the backbone of the Jays this season based on the uncertainty in their rotation.

I'm a little worried the ceiling of Brett's offensive potential isn't nearly as high as we once hoped.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #124
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It's important to remember that Lawrie is only 24 years old. He has plenty of time to realize his potential. It's clear he has the physical tools, he just needs to mature and continue to improve his approach at the plate.

I think his biggest downfall right now is that he still believes he can hit any pitch, as a lot of young players seem to think. He needs to be more patient and wait for a pitch he can really drive, even if that means watching a few more strikes go by.

Adam Lind is a great example of a player maturing. He seems to understand his strengths and weaknesses, and goes to the plate with a good game plan. Lawrie (and many other Jays) could learn a lot from him.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #125
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
It's important to remember that Lawrie is only 24 years old. He has plenty of time to realize his potential. It's clear he has the physical tools, he just needs to mature and continue to improve his approach at the plate.

I think his biggest downfall right now is that he still believes he can hit any pitch, as a lot of young players seem to think. He needs to be more patient and wait for a pitch he can really drive, even if that means watching a few more strikes go by.

Adam Lind is a great example of a player maturing. He seems to understand his strengths and weaknesses, and goes to the plate with a good game plan. Lawrie (and many other Jays) could learn a lot from him.
My worry with Lawrie is he reminds me a lot of Dion Phaneuf. The guy is a physical specimen who clearly has all the athletic tools, but does he have the "tool box"?

You're right that he's young and has all the time in the world to project to an above average 3B, but the way he's wired I'm not as certain as I was that he'll get to that level. Brett might be his own worst enemy.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #126
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
My worry with Lawrie is he reminds me a lot of Dion Phaneuf. The guy is a physical specimen who clearly has all the athletic tools, but does he have the "tool box"?

You're right that he's young and has all the time in the world to project to an above average 3B, but the way he's wired I'm not as certain as I was that he'll get to that level. Brett might be his own worst enemy.

Its way to early to hit the panic button with Lawrie....

He is cold for sure at the plate, my guess it will turn around fairly soon.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #127
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I should have added an addendum to my post. His defence has been undeniably fantastic.

His last two K's yesterday were unreal. Pitchers right now know Brett swings at basically everything away from the play, so they just paint the outside edge of the plate and it's an easy strikeout.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win