Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #101
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I guess Jadon Joseph wasn't a fit in Kelowna as hes been dealt to TC for picks. This will be the 6th team he will play for in just over one calendar year. Lethbridge, Regina, Vancouver, Moose Jaw, Kelowna and now Tri City.
He fit in fine but Kyle Topping is returning early from injury so Joseph was odd man out.

Joseph is a useful player but not elite enough at anything to be untouchable in trade. A modern day Mike Sillinger.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #102
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickered Flame View Post
The Hitmen have lost dman Egor Zumala for the season with a back injury. That is a big loss for the Hitmen.
That is brutal.

It'll be interesting to see how that news affects what they do today. They're a playoff team, so hard to be sellers but do they make a huge deal and try to upgrade the team?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #103
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
He fit in fine but Kyle Topping is returning early from injury so Joseph was odd man out.

Joseph is a useful player but not elite enough at anything to be untouchable in trade. A modern day Mike Sillinger.
I wonder if Joseph finds his way onto a 7th WHL roster today? I hope so for his sake, the Merks are dropping like a Stone and I'd hate to see him have his WHL career come to and end without playoffs on a sinking ship.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #104
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hitmen have dealt Jonas Peterek to Kelowna for a 2021 5th.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #105
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everett trades:

Martin Fasko-Rudas
Parker Hendren
1st Rnd. ’20
2nd Rnd. ’22

to Swift Current for:

Ethan Regnier
Kasper Puutio
Old 01-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #106
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Good grief, Vancouver just traded a 2020 1st and 2021 2nd to Saskatoon for 2000 born forward Eric Florchuk.

They are 0.514 points percentage, 4th in their division and quite a ways back of Vic, Kelowna and Kamploops. Really weird time to trade high picks for a 19 year old who isnt even point per game.

It may seem weird but the BC division is completely up for grabs this year. Any one of those four teams could come out of it and go to the 3rd round of the playoffs.

Victoria was supposed to be a seller this year but have bought into a defensive structure that has them winning close games. They robbed Millar blind on the Tracey deal and having that star up front will help them big time.

Langley is sitting in a wildcard spot but that's with Bowen Byram phoning in the first half of the season. They have good goaltending and you'd have to think Byram will step up down the stretch. They'll play Kamloops in round one and that's a winnable series for them, as would be the winner of Kelowna-Victoria.

Not sure if dealing 1st round picks just to go to the 3rd round is worth it but clearly the GMs think it is.

The WHL champ is almost certainly coming out of the US division this year anyway (with the finalist from the Central).
The Following User Says Thank You to Red John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #107
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winnipeg picked up Barteaux from Red Deer for a mittful of picks.

2nd Rnd. ’20
2nd Rnd. ’21
5th Rnd. ’21
2nd Rnd. ’22
2nd Rnd. ’23
3rd Rnd. ’23 Cond.

for

Dawson Barteaux
5th Rnd. ’20
6th Rnd. ’23
Old 01-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #108
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okuliar returned to the Canes line up yesterday but still no Addison or Cozens. Canes must be giving them plenty of time to recuperate or something.

Just keep winning though. If they beat Swift tonight they'll go to 7-1-2 since those three players left for the WJC.

Barlage, Hall, Boyko, Thacker and Wheatcroft all stepping up in their absence. Good sign for next season, well and for the rest of this season too I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #109
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
They robbed Millar blind on the Tracey deal and having that star up front will help them big time.
How so? Tracey hasn't been doing much in MJ since he came back from camp, I mean he's a great player but he isn't carrying the team or anything. That could be a result of him not having the high caliber players around him but honestly he has not been that exciting to watch this year at all, it's like hes just putting in time.

In the situation MJ is in this year getting what they got for Tracey and Evanoff was a pretty good deal.

edit: Just looked at Tracey's stat and he's actually been carrying the team to some extent. Lol. The way he plays out there I would not have guessed that.

Last edited by speede5; 01-13-2020 at 08:26 AM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #110
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okuliar returned to the Canes line up yesterday but still no Addison or Cozens. Canes must be giving them plenty of time to recuperate or something.

Just keep winning though. If they beat Swift tonight they'll go to 7-1-2 since those three players left for the WJC.

Barlage, Hall, Boyko, Thacker and Wheatcroft all stepping up in their absence. Good sign for next season, well and for the rest of this season too I suppose.
Sucks that this is Addison's last year with the team. I can't see him being an overage player, he'll be in the AHL. So, I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't make another move to add depth to the team for a strong playoff run.

I assume Anholt felt Cozens, Addison and Okuliar returning would be similar to trade deadline acquisisions, except these guys are already gelled with the team. They did quite well without them, they're only stronger with them. I used to hate when a team's players went to World Jrs, because it made that team weaker, but really, it helps others to realize what they can achieve by having to step up in the absence of their star players. In this case it looks like it worked. We'll see what happens when Cozens and Addison return.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #111
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Sucks that this is Addison's last year with the team. I can't see him being an overage player, he'll be in the AHL. So, I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't make another move to add depth to the team for a strong playoff run.

I assume Anholt felt Cozens, Addison and Okuliar returning would be similar to trade deadline acquisisions, except these guys are already gelled with the team. They did quite well without them, they're only stronger with them. I used to hate when a team's players went to World Jrs, because it made that team weaker, but really, it helps others to realize what they can achieve by having to step up in the absence of their star players. In this case it looks like it worked. We'll see what happens when Cozens and Addison return.

Hopefully Addison and Cozens dont have a post WJC lull and show up guns a blazin. Also hoping all the players that took a step forward in their absence don't slow down just because the big boys are back.

Weird year so far. I was expecting a bit of a down year for the Canes this season, but they've been unreal and getting better. You can almost make the argument that their record should be better than it is as I can almost count on one hand the amount of games where they actually the worse team. Several unlucky losses, especially to Saskatoon.

Yet, its funny because the one team that has really outplayed the Canes on most of their games is Med Hat, and that's the team they are most likely going to face in round 1 lol.

Also being a top 5-7 team in the league but 3rd in the division is another little quirk.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #112
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fricken Tigers own the Canes this year. Jesus
Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #113
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fricken Tigers own the Canes this year. Jesus
Great game from Hamblin tonight.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:11 AM   #114
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. Yeah, 4 goals is pretty decent.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #115
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. Yeah, 4 goals is pretty decent.
Big game today as the Tigers travel to Edmonton to face the Oil Kings. If I'm not mistaken, the Oil Kings crushed the Tigers 7-1 in their last meeting.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #116
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oil Kings defeat the Tigers 4-2, they look like they're going to take the Central.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #117
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Oil Kings defeat the Tigers 4-2, they look like they're going to take the Central.
I hate to say it because it is Edmonton but they are the best team I have seen play this year.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flickered Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #118
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickered Flame View Post
I hate to say it because it is Edmonton but they are the best team I have seen play this year.

Unimpressive compared to Portland.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:31 AM   #119
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Portland is on a 17-0-2 run and are a +75.

They are near unstoppable right now.

Kamloops has won 8 in a row and are a +85.

Also, Brandon has caught fire and have won 9 straight.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #120
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canes down 3-0 after the 1st in Brandon come back to win 6-5 in OT and end the Wheaties 10 game win streak!

*fist pump*
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: