Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2021, 08:17 PM   #561
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saints need him to retire with how catastrophic their cap situation is. That's the easiest money to clear even with the dead cap hit. But they are like $95 million over the cap, they gave it one more go but it's time for the pain.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #562
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drew Brees defeated the Saints more than Tom Brady beat them. All the same, was just a contest to see who gets to lose to the Pack at Lambeau.

Both teams were in that same echelon as the Rams, Seahawks. Good teams on some nights, but not great consistently. Bills, Chiefs, and Pack are the 3 elite teams in the league, and we're still on track for a Bills / Pack SB (with Bills winning)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #563
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game is recorded. Wife is starting it now. She is really hoping to see Drew Brees in the superbowl and it's going to be tough when this one is over
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #564
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Kind of sad to see Brees go out like that, but eventually the game passes everyone by. But at least he gets to retire with hundreds of millions in the bank, a nice looking wife, 4 kids and a room full of trophies and probably a hall of fame jacket.

Too bad his hair line left a few years before he did.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #565
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Kind of sad to see Brees go out like that, but eventually the game passes everyone by. But at least he gets to retire with hundreds of millions in the bank, a nice looking wife, 4 kids and a room full of trophies and probably a hall of fame jacket.

Too bad his hair line left a few years before he did.
Not probably.

He is a slam dunk, first ballot.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #566
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved this

https://twitter.com/user/status/1351017125444546568

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #567
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Don’t know how you blame that on the receiver.
It was a bad throw he never should have made. But Cook had also messed up bad earlier that started the turn in the game and owed them a big catch, and it still hit him. Dude regressed huge this season and he'd be the first to say it, he was a fumble machine in crucial situations throughout the year. I'm just done with him in general
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #568
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
It was a bad throw he never should have made. But Cook had also messed up bad earlier that started the turn in the game and owed them a big catch, and it still hit him. Dude regressed huge this season and he'd be the first to say it, he was a fumble machine in crucial situations throughout the year. I'm just done with him in general
As a Raiders fan I know well Cook has his moments of good and bad as there's a reason he's on his 5th team despite being a productive TE. The last play of his career sealed his fate as a Raider was in the last game of the year against the Broncos a few years ago when Carr changed the play at the line of scrimmage to go to Cook as he was left alone on the right side of the field with one DB playing 10 yards off. Cook not paying attention thinks he's not a target dogs it off the line not running his route and it ends up a pick 6 when Carr throws the ball where he's supposed to be. He's prone to lapses and careless play.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #569
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

With more time to think on it, and not trying to take away from the balls it took to still go, but Andy's fourth and one call to end it yesterday was really more about the intelligence of the decision than the guts. He knew the Browns were going to do everything possible to avoid the worst case scenario. And the worst case wasn't the Chiefs converting in general, it was the Chiefs converting by penalty. To give the game away like that would haunt a player. So Andy knew the Browns players were going to be a half second late and were probably not expecting to even see a play, they just simply wanted to avoid the possibility of jumping off even if it meant the Chiefs would convert with a sneak or whatever. And when you have Tyreek and need to convert a one yard out, half a step off or just a little unprepared is all you need. I think even JaMarcus or Manziel could make that throw with ease.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #570
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
With more time to think on it, and not trying to take away from the balls it took to still go, but Andy's fourth and one call to end it yesterday was really more about the intelligence of the decision than the guts. He knew the Browns were going to do everything possible to avoid the worst case scenario. And the worst case wasn't the Chiefs converting in general, it was the Chiefs converting by penalty. To give the game away like that would haunt a player. So Andy knew the Browns players were going to be a half second late and were probably not expecting to even see a play, they just simply wanted to avoid the possibility of jumping off even if it meant the Chiefs would convert with a sneak or whatever. And when you have Tyreek and need to convert a one yard out, half a step off or just a little unprepared is all you need. I think even JaMarcus or Manziel could make that throw with ease.
Yes, even Romo thought for sure there was no play on.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #571
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The third down play call was also very good. Wasn't a designed run per se, but the Chiefs ran four verts and at that point if Henne got outside he was going to have a big alley to run because Chad Henne ranked somewhere around 1600th biggest running threat in the NFL so the Browns didn't remotely care. And if someone came open underneath it was an easy pitch and catch. Andy played to close the game on his own and not give the Browns a sniff. Was great to see.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #572
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yes, even Romo thought for sure there was no play on.
Not sure why Romo thought that. You don't usually see the QB line up in shotgun if they're just trying to draw the defense offside.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #573
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

All you Chiefs fans can blame me for the Mahomes injury.

I had over 306.5 and 316.5 throwing yards for Mahomes and over 16.5 rushing yards for the game.....

and I think Tom Bray Bray might win another Superbowl this year. Well at least get to the Superbowl. Can't trust the Packer defence in crunch time.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #574
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe Brees's kid grows up to play in the NFL... he can catch passes from Tom when he's still playing at age 52.

Anyway, people are always going to talk about QB vs QB, but I think the Cook turnover was more important than either INT, and in terms of QB play, it took a backseat to Kamara vs. Jones/Fournette. Tampa's backs are just so good at what they do.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #575
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not probably.

He is a slam dunk, first ballot.

Yeah I know and I understated it a bit, that's just bad wording on my part.

I wonder if New Orleans will do a clean slate change now with its coaching staff?

Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #576
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if New Orleans will do a clean slate change now with its coaching staff?
Why would they? As much as I dislike Payton, he's definitely not the problem there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #577
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean isn't the inverse the real question? Will Payton bail with the mess that is ahead for the Saints?
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #578
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean isn't the inverse the real question? Will Payton bail with the mess that is ahead for the Saints?
He's been there for 15 years, and if the organization is willing to give him 2 seasons to turn the roster over and correct the cap issues, I doubt he moves.

Sure he's a Parcells disciple, but unlike Parcels, he has stayed coaching the same team for a long period of time. Parcels always got antsy after 5 years and started stirring stuff up in the front office to eventually orchestrate his release. He was a bigger story to change teams, and my opinion is that Parcels craved attention and needed this, more than on field success. His two primary disciples in Belichick and Payton seem to like a bit of stability and seem willing to stay on so long as they get to do things their way.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #579
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andy Reid is the best offensive mind in the NFL but Sean Payton is a close second. He's gone 8-1 with Bridgewater/Hill starting over the last few years which shows that he can win with pretty well any mediocre QB and that's something the majority of NFL head coaches simply can't do. I don't think there will be a drop off next season without Brees at all.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #580
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But it's not just losing Brees. Even with Brees retiring they will still be $75 million over the cap and they have a lot of young guys coming up due for deals. I'm sure we'll see some more cap games to push things down the road (2030 will be fun when the Saints are $1 billion over the cap lol), but they will probably take a step back next year.

Tags
nfc stinks , scorigamiszn