Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it too early to laugh?

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

It was a miracle that Leicester faltered so badly to gift United Top 4 but its worth it! What a payoff!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #222
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

PSG-Istanbul will be finished tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1336438079859601408
Old 12-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #223
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually not that bothered about going out. Would just be paper over the cracks. Only downside is stupid Thursday night football in The European carabao.

Just watching the Demba Ba incident in full.

The ref deserves to get disciplined also. He's equally as bad as the official.

Numerous times his response to the complaints was simply to raise his hands and point Ba towards the stands. He tried to brush the whole situation off. Ignore it. He didn't take it seriously at all.

Multiple times it was pointed out to him by Ba and multiple times he did eff all. Except walk backwards and continue to send Ba off whilst ignoring his complaint. The POS can't even look Ba in the eyes whist he's protesting.

Even when Mbappe and Neymar protest he waves them off. Good on both of them for having Ba's back and not letting the ref do what he wanted to do. Take the cowardly approach, ignore it, and play on. Nothing changed until Mbappe points to the fourth official and says "we can't play with this guy".

Good on both teams. Because if they hadn't have walked off we'd be looking at some investigation based on a warped ref report.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #224
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I'm actually not that bothered about going out. Would just be paper over the cracks. Only downside is stupid Thursday night football in The European carabao.

Just watching the Demba Ba incident in full.

The ref deserves to get disciplined also. He's equally as bad as the official.

Numerous times his response to the complaints was simply to raise his hands and point Ba towards the stands. He tried to brush the whole situation off. Ignore it. He didn't take it seriously at all.

Multiple times it was pointed out to him by Ba and multiple times he did eff all. Except walk backwards and continue to send Ba off whilst ignoring his complaint. The POS can't even look Ba in the eyes whist he's protesting.

Even when Mbappe and Neymar protest he waves them off. Good on both of them for having Ba's back and not letting the ref do what he wanted to do. Take the cowardly approach, ignore it, and play on. Nothing changed until Mbappe points to the fourth official and says "we can't play with this guy".

Good on both teams. Because if they hadn't have walked off we'd be looking at some investigation based on a warped ref report.
the whole thing appears to be a misunderstanding.

a Romanian linesman said the word "negru" (meaning black in Romanian) to the main referee to describe a coach (Webo) on the Basaksehir bench. Webo was loudly protesting a yellow card his player received.

Webo (worth noting, the only black coach on the bench for Basaksehir), heard the word negru and assumed the linesman meant it in a derogatory way.

The referees explained to the entire bench that the word "negru" means black. They refused to listen.

Demba Ba then protests that the linesman shouldn't have used "black" as an adjective to point out Webo, which to me, and any sane person, seems ridiculous.

This is why they are dismissing their protests. Because it is ignorant and assumes racism where there isn't any.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #225
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post

a Romanian linesman said the word "negru" (meaning black in Romanian) to the main referee to describe a coach (Webo) on the Basaksehir bench. Webo was loudly protesting a yellow card his player received.

Webo (worth noting, the only black coach on the bench for Basaksehir), heard the word negru and assumed the linesman meant it in a derogatory way.

The referees explained to the entire bench that the word "negru" means black. They refused to listen.

Demba Ba then protests that the linesman shouldn't have used "black" as an adjective to point out Webo, which to me, and any sane person, seems ridiculous.

This is why they are dismissing their protests. Because it is ignorant and assumes racism where there isn't any.
Disavow
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klopp is starting a surprisingly strong XI for a meaningless match.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #227
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

These guys are refs for a massive international organization that has a huge anti-racism campaign. They should know better.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice! TAA With the armband today!

Now....nobody get hurt!

Old 12-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #229
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was fine. Some experience for some of the Youth players, nobody got hurt and we won the group so....fine by me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #230
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
These guys are refs for a massive international organization that has a huge anti-racism campaign. They should know better.
then to speak Romanian to each other?
Old 12-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #231
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surely that's it for Conte. Third year in a row they had a match at home to qualify for the last 16 and they choke.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #232
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Surely that's it for Conte. Third year in a row they had a match at home to qualify for the last 16 and they choke.
http://streamable.com/9y1vhs

lol
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #233
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You don’t see any problem with using the term “negru”? I’m no linguistics expert, but I can hazard where it was derived from. The also offensive term N**g*r, also can refer to blacks.

So yes, I see where they’re coming from.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #234
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's still wrong and racist, white guys are never called white.

If Klopp was sent off and the ref went to ask the linesmen who he sent off, he would never say, "The white guy over there."

This is a life lesson. If someone asks you where to find someone in the office for example, you can't say, "Oh, you're looking for Paul, he's the Chinese guy down the hall." Because you'd never say that if he was white. So for everyone you say, he's the guy down the hall in office 4056.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #235
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Demba Ba then protests that the linesman shouldn't have used "black" as an adjective to point out Webo, which to me, and any sane white person, seems ridiculous.
What qualifies you to say that a black person being upset at someone being singled out by the colour of their skin is ridiculous?

Quote:
What? You're saying the ref made that call there and then ?

No. He was dismissing the protests because he didn't want to deal with it. He thought that if he kept pointing him to the stands it would simply go away.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #236
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

If Klopp was sent off and the ref went to ask the linesmen who he sent off, he would never say, "The white guy over there."
I do think that if it was a bench full of black guys and one white guy, then the phrase "the white guy over there" would've been used as an identifier.

Taking racial connotations out of it for a second, it's a useful descriptor no? If the whole bench was blond except for one ginger, you'd expect "the ginger guy" to be used as an identifier. If they all had short hair except for one long haired guy, you'd expect that to be used and so on.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #237
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This is a life lesson. If someone asks you where to find someone in the office for example, you can't say, "Oh, you're looking for Paul, he's the Chinese guy down the hall." Because you'd never say that if he was white. So for everyone you say, he's the guy down the hall in office 4056.
Well, Klopp is well know to most referees.

However, if the Liverpool bench consists of Naby Keita, Origi, Wijnaldum, Mane, Milner, and Minamino and Minamino is protesting a yellow card, I can EASILY see the lineman say "the Asian guy" or in the case of Milner, "the white guy".
Old 12-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #238
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What qualifies you to say that a black person being upset at someone being singled out by the colour of their skin is ridiculous?
only the fact that black people identify THEMSELVES as black ALL THE TIME.

Quote:
What? You're saying the ref made that call there and then ?

No. He was dismissing the protests because he didn't want to deal with it. He thought that if he kept pointing him to the stands it would simply go away.
Yes, that is what I'm saying. They explained to them what the word meant immediately.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #239
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Why was he sent off anyways? The official should have walked up to Ba, and shown him a red card to his face. No words needed.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #240
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I guess it's hard for me because it doesn't seem racist to identify a person by their skin colour. When I watch MMA or Boxing I always think it
s silly to go to great lengths to describe which fighter is which and not refer to skin colour. I watched a fight a few years ago and their trunks were close in colour, and it was boxing so they had the same gloves and the commentators just couldn't say that one guy was white and the other guy was black.

I'm a white guy, so maybe I'm just flat out wrong and somewhat insensitive to these things?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote