Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #281
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, at 12 feet I think you want one of the 75s, or even an 80+... too bad you can't get a Vizio P85.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #282
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Given that, thoughts on the TVs listed? HDMI 2.1 is a must, and looking for something with a high frame rate.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #283
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of those listed, I would go with the Q80T. I have had good luck with Samsung myself, and Rtings rates that set very highly.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #284
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Of those listed, I would go with the Q80T. I have had good luck with Samsung myself, and Rtings rates that set very highly.
Yeah that’s where I’m probably leaning right now, and reading the rtings review definitely makes me feel like that’s the right call.

Appreciate the help!
Old 12-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #285
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It’s basically never worth it to give up size for quality.
I don't know. I'll take the next size down OLED over a bigger LCD every day for movies or dramatic Tv shows. The real blacks and shadow detail of OLED are so satisfying and make it hard not be distracted by grey blacks and washed out dark scenes.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #286
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm generally on board with quality over size but for a large room like a basement den and a couch 12 feet away, 65" just doesn't cut it. You want to go big in that situation. I have a 75 inch set in my basement and sit slightly closer than Iggy and it's fine, but I would definitely be better off with an 80-85, especially for anything 4k.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #287
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unfortunately 75” is the biggest I can go on the designated wall, so 75” it is!
Old 12-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #288
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
Given that, thoughts on the TVs listed? HDMI 2.1 is a must, and looking for something with a high frame rate.
Sony
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #289
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
Unfortunately 75” is the biggest I can go on the designated wall, so 75” it is!
Yeah, I have a couple inches of clearance on either side of mine so I might be able to do 80 but it would be impossible to adjust inputs. I might still try it when my current set is retired.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #290
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It’s basically never worth it to give up size for quality.

Really? I think there's a pretty good debate. I mean I'd argue most people that give up size and go with 55" to get an incredible quality TV are making a mistake unless it's a tiny room.

Not to mention that they say a lot of what you get out of OLED or higher end LED 4k TV's aren't even that noticeable on a 55".

Now going from 75" down to 65" to get say an OLED over LED? Absolutely there's good reason to think about it. But like Corsi said, size of room and how far back you are is a huge factor.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #291
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Really? I think there's a pretty good debate. I mean I'd argue most people that give up size and go with 55" to get an incredible quality TV are making a mistake unless it's a tiny room.

Not to mention that they say a lot of what you get out of OLED or higher end LED 4k TV's aren't even that noticeable on a 55".

Now going from 75" down to 65" to get say an OLED over LED? Absolutely there's good reason to think about it. But like Corsi said, size of room and how far back you are is a huge factor.
I guess everyone notices different things. Black levels are very noticeable to me at any size/distance. Having an OLED has ruined my plasma for me, and I can't believe I used to be happy with its black level.

I do wish my 65 in OLED was a little bigger at times, but I don't think I could trade it for any non-OLED 75+ and be happy watching dramatic movies and tv. Sports is another story, I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #292
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you find the difference in black level between a good plasma (I guess it depends what you were using before) and OLED to be really noticeable then yeah, you're pretty much stuck with OLED, because good plasmas are still better than LED in that regard.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #293
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sony
Looked/looking at the 900H but the lack of VRR makes me hesitant...
Old 12-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #294
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

That basis around it is basically no one has their room set up to actually realize the quality of a smaller tv. So a bigger tv is generally better.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #295
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

For you guys that bought fancy new 4k TVs, the World Juniors are being broadcast by TSN in 4k.

FWIW, I found TSN's 4k broadcasts better than Sportsnet's.

Looks like the first broadcast is scheduled for the 22nd. Not sure if those were the games that got cancelled or not.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #296
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If you find the difference in black level between a good plasma (I guess it depends what you were using before) and OLED to be really noticeable then yeah, you're pretty much stuck with OLED, because good plasmas are still better than LED in that regard.
It is one of the later year Panasonic's. Not the top of the line, but better than most other TVs at the time. The differences between that and the OLED are not that subtle. I find the plasma's blacks to at least look black, but they are still glowing. There's a big difference between glowing letterbox bars, and letterbox bars that are off. And the true blacks within the viewing area just make everything else pop and brings up all sorts of subtle shadow detail you can't see on other technologies. Pause a plasma on a black cut scene, and it gives enough glow to see around the room. Pause an OLED and you can't even see the screen is on.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #297
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It is one of the later year Panasonic's. Not the top of the line, but better than most other TVs at the time. The differences between that and the OLED are not that subtle. I find the plasma's blacks to at least look black, but they are still glowing. There's a big difference between glowing letterbox bars, and letterbox bars that are off. And the true blacks within the viewing area just make everything else pop and brings up all sorts of subtle shadow detail you can't see on other technologies. Pause a plasma on a black cut scene, and it gives enough glow to see around the room. Pause an OLED and you can't even see the screen is on.
I have a similar setup a panasonic vt 2013. I agree on the blacks. My lg is much better. What I wish i had more was HDR. Gaming with HDR is fantastic.

That said the plasma I have is definitely better than the Sony XBR (from era that meant something) set we have. Plasma would still be top tier if oled wasn’t available
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:56 PM   #298
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

One thing you don't realize is how big 75" really in terms of picking it up and getting it home. Even with my dad's truck it still almost didn't fit between the wheel wells and I had to strap it down as the liftgate wouldn't close.

So pro tip: order for delivery
Old 12-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #299
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the 75" box is massive. I was just able to fit it in my truck bed on an angle and get the tail gate closed. It's going to be crazy/amazing time when the average TV doesn't fit in a standard truck bed.

In terms of 65" vs 75" I would almost always say to get the largest TV in your budget. I love having a 75" TV. I finally added a beefy subwoofer to my home theatre system and with a 75" TV it's so damn close to the movie theatre experience, it's great. Even my wife is happy that we got this TV.

The picture quality from a 65" to a 75" in a similar price range is probably not worth it at 12' in my opinion (that's how far I sit from my TV as well). The 75" is going to making movie / tv watching more enjoyable than a slightly better picture quality.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #300
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

https://www.costco.ca/hisense-85-in....100675480.html

Thoughts on this bad boy? It seems well reviewed.

I am waffling at pulling the trigger!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote