Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #221
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a lot of rumours that Kelvin Grove and the areas south of glenmore (other than Lakeview) will be joining south Calgary and leaving Glenlake.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #222
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i thought that the president of the saints could have worded his thoughts a little more clearly, and not made a dig comment at mcknight.

these are always tough things for HC to decide as many people feel passionately about their association. early in my son's career 7 clubs was merged in with blackfoot. many people from 7 clubs were n ot happy as they felt that they were just a number with blackfoot. in addition, a lot of thier full ice practices were changed to half ice practices0.

i can't say if the process could have been handled any differently becasue it was too early in my son's career for me to have an opinion and we were always blackfoot.
Saints will be totally different next year and for the President to write such a letter won't set them up for success.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #223
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok I'll say it.

I don't get the big deal with Esso Minor Hockey Week.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #224
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saints might be totally gone next year, SV and McKnight will swallow them up.

I love Minor Hockey week because of the fun lots of games in a row tournament format.

Sadly, my son's team is 2 and out despite outplaying the opposition in both.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #225
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Ok I'll say it.

I don't get the big deal with Esso Minor Hockey Week.
to me it provides a bit of a break from the january blahs.

to me from a hockey perspectiove you measure team success by winning your bracket and then playoffs.

my sons midget team lost their first game (which is also a regular season game) yesterday - so they have their backs against the wall on Wednesday
Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #226
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son is in Novice Major and EMHW is as big as it gets this year. So far so good ...
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #227
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never saw the big deal with EMHW either. For the girls teams especially I thought it sucked as our league made us use our only tournament window for the second half of the season which essentially meant it was practically impossible to find a tourney to play after Christmas. It is different this year (for the worse IMHO but that is a different topic) so this does not come into play.

My son's team won it a couple of times over his career. I was there for one of the victories and missed the other one sadly as I was out of town.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #228
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

anyone have info or maps relating to the South rezoning possibilities?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #229
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I ref up in the Edmonton region and MHW has to be one of the most enjoyable times of the year. I've had a few really close games that come down to the buzzer and one go into overtime where we got down to 2 skaters and a goalie per side. Also, I am not sure what the situation is in Calgary, but in Edmonton refs volunteer their time during MHW, just something to think about when a close call isn't made...
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #230
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Also, I am not sure what the situation is in Calgary, but in Edmonton refs volunteer their time during MHW, just something to think about when a close call isn't made...
So you get what you pay for?

Quote:
Old 01-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #231
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
My son is in Novice Major and EMHW is as big as it gets this year. So far so good ...
South or North? My son is playing in the South Div 2
Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #232
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My son's team competed in EMH weekend. 2 and out. In our second game we scored a goal but the ref was by the blue line. By the time he got to the net the goalie had pulled the puck out of the net. By the time he "got" there the puck was not in the net and called no goal. We ended up losing the game. Volunteers, young ref etc... is no excuse to be out of position like he was. This is in PeeWee.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #233
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

For ESMH the coaches will receive a evaluation to do on the officials each game. It comes directly from Hockey Calgary. Please encourage your coach to complete it, and to do it honestly and fairly. Officials are still learning the game too and this is one of the few times that feedback is allowed from coaches.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #234
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
this is one of the few times that feedback is allowed from coaches.
Do you know why that is?

I mean beyond crazy people, you would think the ref's would want feedback. I have had games where i would have loved to be able to provide feedback to the officials that worked the game.

Feedback both good and bad is the only way things get better, IMO.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #235
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
South or North? My son is playing in the South Div 2
South. We wrapped tonight unfortunately. The kids played great, just couldn't find the net.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #236
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
South. We wrapped tonight unfortunately. The kids played great, just couldn't find the net.
What division and Association? I'm just curious if we know each other.

I was on the SW Team 2 that went to a shootout
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #237
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Do you know why that is?

I mean beyond crazy people, you would think the ref's would want feedback. I have had games where i would have loved to be able to provide feedback to the officials that worked the game.

Feedback both good and bad is the only way things get better, IMO.
Supposedly to protect officials from abuse. A couple of seasons ago we (coaches and MHA's) received very strict instructions form Hockey Calgary that there was zero tolerance to interact with officials, even to the point of not shaking hands after a game. It's sad it has gotten to this point.

I agree, feedback when done properly is crucial and given that officials are not reviewed every game by their mentors coach feedback would be a great tool. It would be pretty apparent what is constructive and what is just whining by a coach so they could weed that kind of stuff out.

I tried to make a point after games to let the officials know when I thought they did a great job, or when they did something that I appreciated. Whether it was how they handled a situation, how they explained a ruling to me etc. I also offered suggestions as to how they may have handled it differently and how it was perceived from my perspective. That was never a complaint or b!tch session and never confrontational on my part. Most of the time this seemed to be well received.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #238
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
My son's team competed in EMH weekend. 2 and out. In our second game we scored a goal but the ref was by the blue line. By the time he got to the net the goalie had pulled the puck out of the net. By the time he "got" there the puck was not in the net and called no goal. We ended up losing the game. Volunteers, young ref etc... is no excuse to be out of position like he was. This is in PeeWee.
Based on your previous posts, it sounds like that goal wouldn't have mattered much anyway. Maybe if the players hadn't been out of position they wouldn't get scored on as much, like you said, "this is in PeeWee", no excuses. Hopefully the coaching staff can help the team improve their defensive skills, but like UCB said, you get what you pay for.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #239
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Based on your previous posts, it sounds like that goal wouldn't have mattered much anyway. Maybe if the players hadn't been out of position they wouldn't get scored on as much, like you said, "this is in PeeWee", no excuses. Hopefully the coaching staff can help the team improve their defensive skills, but like UCB said, you get what you pay for.
Generally the reffing has been bad this year. You are right it likely would not have mattered. And our players when are out of position etc... they are constantly corrected by the coaching staff. Hockey Calgary needs to do a better job of training, evaluations and supporting the ref's

Yes this is PeeWee and mistake happen but so far this year including the above

1. Earlier we had a player drilled from behind yet some how we get a interference penalty.

2. My son takes an elbow to the back of the head AFTER the whistle yet not one of the 3 ref's saw it. Out 5 games with a concussion.

3. Our goalie get run multiple times in a game and no call, he defends himself on the 5 or 6th time and get 2 min for roughing.

4. Our player gets checked from behind, Broken collar bone, no call.

5. Ref (out of position) runs into our player, concussion missed 2 weeks.

6. We are on a breakaway, player gets hooked we get holding the stick penalty.

7. One ref we had was out there running to players, linesman only staked between the neutral zone. He have had him a few times.

I could go on.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #240
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp: