Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2023, 10:05 PM   #2241
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ngannou clearly won the fight but boxing judges...
100% rigged, 96-93 is insane. It was close but Fury landed nothing exceptional all fight. Just was point fighting. Crazy that Ngannou is 37 and can improve the way he has. One of the higher IQ mma fighters and it showed tonight. Wish we could have had him vs Jones but equally happy to see Dana White eat a bag of #### here. Also nice to see Ngannou secure himself a huge bag of money now and in the future. Fully deserved
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:34 AM   #2242
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don’t think that this was a good look for boxing. Sure, Ngannou is a physical specimen and incredible athlete, but should he really be able to hang with Fury? Not only did he not get embarrassed, he won that fight. It just doesn’t say a lot for boxing given the circus and the fact that Fury looked so poor.
Lets be honest here, boxing has been taking Ls for a while.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 01:03 PM   #2243
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
Lets be honest here, boxing has been taking Ls for a while.
And really, none of us should be surprised with a questionable decision. It’s not like boxing is this pure, transparent sport where this is an outlier.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #2244
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a quick snippet clip of Fury tagging Ngannou with a hard elbow, MMA style in the fight. I didn't watch the fight but was that caught by the ref (and judges)? Fury has a reputation for "cheating", with loose gloves in the past and other allegations, but this was a downward hook that was fully intentional in hitting him with an elbow.

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:07 PM   #2245
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Aspinall is a bad man. If not for a freak knee injury he'd be undefeated in the UFC. Dude's only been to the second round once.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:49 PM   #2246
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

C’mon Edwards- shut that POS Covington’s mouth once and for all. Covington is such a f’in loser.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 11:23 PM   #2247
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
C’mon Edwards- shut that POS Covington’s mouth once and for all. Covington is such a f’in loser.
You knew after he got his ass kicked he was going to take a page out of Trump's playbook and claim he won the fight.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 11:54 PM   #2248
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You knew after he got his ass kicked he was going to take a page out of Trump's playbook and claim he won the fight.
The best part was that all of his fairweather fans at the start of the fight were booing him at the end.

I get selling a fight and rivalry, and ‘these guys don’t like each other’ sells fights. But some of these guys the UFC hypes are truly trash people with no respect or morals. Or intelligence. They aren’t even funny. Calling other fighters homophobic slurs? Insulting a guys dead father? Strickland? Covington? You can be the ‘heel’ that sells fights without being grade 7 intellect POS.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 02:00 AM   #2249
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1736268617610629585
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 07:15 AM   #2250
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
The best part was that all of his fairweather fans at the start of the fight were booing him at the end.

I get selling a fight and rivalry, and ‘these guys don’t like each other’ sells fights. But some of these guys the UFC hypes are truly trash people with no respect or morals. Or intelligence. They aren’t even funny. Calling other fighters homophobic slurs? Insulting a guys dead father? Strickland? Covington? You can be the ‘heel’ that sells fights without being grade 7 intellect POS.
But that’s the issue for the UFC. It’s gone down the road of fighters disrespecting each other and hating each other as opposed to the athletic competition. It probably works, but also turns a lot of fans off. It’s too “white trash” for a lot of people.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #2251
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But that’s the issue for the UFC. It’s gone down the road of fighters disrespecting each other and hating each other as opposed to the athletic competition. It probably works, but also turns a lot of fans off. It’s too “white trash” for a lot of people.
Totally agreed. I miss the GSP days. I was watching a clip of Strickland talking at the pre fight presser and my wife overheard. She asked ‘why are you watching that crap, who is that idiot talking??’.
Pretty hard to defend…
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 11:30 AM   #2252
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

All these fighters watched MacGregor become a filthy rich superstar partly because of his gift of gab and ability to be polarizing and controversial. Can't blame them for trying, but yeah it's gotten old.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 01:09 PM   #2253
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

One FC is miles ahead of the UFC these days. Free “Friday night” fights on YouTube and live events on Prime. The Muay Thai fights are always very entertaining and the whole culture of respecting your opponent is the opposite of UFC. I bought the UFC PPV last night and it’ll probably be my last for a long while.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #2254
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hilarious that Sportsnet thought that now was the best time to pick up the rights to broadcasting UFC events. The toxicity in this sport is at an all-time high.

Was watching Sportsnet Central last night with family and they show the Strickland brawl and Colby, embarrassing.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 01:22 PM   #2255
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
All these fighters watched MacGregor become a filthy rich superstar partly because of his gift of gab and ability to be polarizing and controversial. Can't blame them for trying, but yeah it's gotten old.
100%. The MacGregor 'controversial' brand is getting old. I liked when GSP was champ, he conducted himself with class during his UFC tenure, always dressed professionally and conducted himself with professionalism during conferences, was exciting to watch, and didn't need to be an immature bag to further his image as one of the greatest fighters and champs of all time.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #2256
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
100%. The MacGregor 'controversial' brand is getting old. I liked when GSP was champ, he conducted himself with class during his UFC tenure, always dressed professionally and conducted himself with professionalism during conferences, was exciting to watch, and didn't need to be an immature bag to further his image as one of the greatest fighters and champs of all time.
That’s just it. Guys like GSP were obviously amazing competitors and he had some fierce rivalries (Matt Hughes). But they weren’t complete jerks each other. Can you imagine any other event in any professional sports where two fighters fight in the crowd at an event? It’s pathetic. And rather than take action, the UFC is basically “boys will be boys” about it?

I love the fights, and always have. But it’s hard to care about the circus that accompanies this.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:56 PM   #2257
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s just it. Guys like GSP were obviously amazing competitors and he had some fierce rivalries (Matt Hughes). But they weren’t complete jerks each other.
And the one time GSP was disrespectful to Hughes ("I'm not impressed by your performance") he later apologized saying he was just trying to sell the fight and regretted it saying it wasn't really him.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:54 PM   #2258
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with everyone on the WWE promotions these guys do. It’s pathetic and old. I’ve said it before 100 times that it seems cheap. Also if you do it enough times it’s not authentic anger anymore as it’s just a sleazy way of promoting your fight (and “brand”). However, I really have to think these guys do it because they’re paid pennies for not having a promotable brand. So to the league it’s a win win. On a similar note, I don’t like White because he’s unnecessarily brash, but I do like that he can tell sponsors to get lost, and lets his people be who they are. Just some of these guys take it too far and I don’t know what to think anymore because everyone wants to act like McGregor and they’re all turning to idiots. I hope the league finds a way to pay guys more so they don’t have to be over the top.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #2259
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Funny that UFC and WWE are part of the same brand. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the UFC folks are leaning on WWE script writers on how to position rivalries on camera and giving pointers on creating heat.

Someone mentioned earlier that it is 'white trash'. I haven't watched it in years, and I did watch it recently. It's sort of reminiscent of GSP-era UFC, but seems like with more production values and ######bags. It is definitely a hillbilly version of what I remember.

I even watched the bare-knuckle league on TV a few weeks ago. That was more entertaining and with better sportsmanship than whatever the UFC is doing now.

Maybe I'm old, but I miss the days of younger UFC, PRIDE, Strikeforce and DREAM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 09:56 PM   #2260
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Maybe I'm old, but I miss the days of younger UFC, PRIDE, Strikeforce and DREAM.
Give ONE Fighting Championship a try if you haven’t already. There’s a great fight night upcoming on Dec 22 from Thailand (I think it’s a ppv but they usually replay on YouTube in full) and then a big free card on Amazon Prime on Jan 12. Both cards will be absolute bangers!
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post: