Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Five points in his last four games. Playing with confidence and using his size well. Started off the seasons truly struggling but Jankowski has turned it around. He plays three minutes less per game than Ryan but now he should be getting PP time over him.

The only thing Derek Ryan has over Jankowski right now is face-offs. Mind you Ryan sits at a 53.1 and Jankowski at 54.7 for FOW%, so maybe not..
Peters is going to have a someone take the draw on the strong side every single time in the offensive zone (on the PP or trying to tie). So when Lindholm is sitting, Ryan is out for that purpose.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #42
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

With how the top line has been cold 5v5 I wonder if it’s time to try Lindholm centring the second line. Neal on the first. Tkachuk Lindholm Bennett as a second scoring line. Backlund Ryan and whoever as a true shut down line.
The Professor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane is back so it could be him. Rychel is tied for second in points. But he's tied with Lazar, who has really come on down there, and has more NHL experience.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #44
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Smith doesn't get the benefit of much doubt here, but he was just as good against Phoenix (and I remember one really good sequence of saves).
I thought the first stop he made was a really good chance. Let that in early with how he's struggled and who knows how the rest of the game plays out.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #45
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I wonder if, since Lazar is doing so well in Stockton, that perhaps another team could claim him on waivers coming up.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I wonder if, since Lazar is doing so well in Stockton, that perhaps another team could claim him on waivers coming up.
It doesn't work that way any more. There are no re-entry waivers. But I suppose he might have to be waived to return him. I don't know that part.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #47
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't work that way any more. There are no re-entry waivers. But I suppose he might have to be waived to return him. I don't know that part.
It would be beyond the 30 days since clearing originally, so yes Lazar would need to clear waivers to go back down again after being called up.
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
It would be beyond the 30 days since clearing originally, so yes Lazar would need to clear waivers to go back down again after being called up.
In which case, so be it and good luck to him, if that happens. He seems to have done what he said he was trying to do down there, which is to be a go-to guy.

To one is mentioning Quine but he has 18 points in only 13 games to lead the team (compared to 17 points for Rychel and Lazar in 21 and 20 games respectively).
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #49
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I'm not worried down the road but Rittich did not look great last night. He let in the first shot, and put up a .857 Sv%. I don't mind giving him a game or two off.
If Smith had that stat line there would be another thread started with how we should jettison him into the sun.

Rittich has lost a couple, go back to Smith and see where he is at. Internal competition is good.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If waivers are a concern though, it's a choice between Mangiapane, Foo, Gawdin and Phillips. Lazar, Quine, Graovac and Rychel are all waiver eligible. So is Peluso but I'm not that worried about him.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
It is actually 30 days on the NHL roster, not 30 calendar days, or 10 NHL games played before a player needs to clear waivers again. And that is cumulative over multiple call ups.

I am not sure if days on the NHL roster before the season starts counts, but Lazar cleared waivers on Oct 1 and was sent down on Oct 5. He doesn't need to clear waivers again unless he plays 10 NHL games or has been on the NHL roster for at least 25 days.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #52
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He looked merely OK in both. I don't think he was special in either game - he stopped routine shots but there weren't any huge saves either. Only an .853 against Dallas and he kinda messed up that OT. November definitely wasn't as good for him as October.

Smith doesn't get the benefit of much doubt here, but he was just as good against Phoenix (and I remember one really good sequence of saves). And, aside from being at home, LA is the perfect opponent.
I am as likely as anyone to blame Rittich for getting his leg in Benn's way when Benn skated through the crease, but I am not sure if he messed up OT.

Smith has to get starts unfortunately, but an .857 is average for Smith, so I would not get too down on Rittich yet. And if they actually called goalie interference he had an .885 at that time, which would be an improvement for Smith over his current save percentage.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 11-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #53
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It is actually 30 days on the NHL roster, not 30 calendar days, or 10 NHL games played before a player needs to clear waivers again. And that is cumulative over multiple call ups.

I am not sure if days on the NHL roster before the season starts counts, but Lazar cleared waivers on Oct 1 and was sent down on Oct 4. He doesn't need to clear waivers again unless he plays 10 NHL games or has been on the NHL roster for at least 26 days.
I bet they would rotate the callups then, if they involve Quine, Rychel and Lazar. But hopefully Dube can come back. He has the highest ceiling by far. And probably the highest floor too.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I am as likely as anyone to blame Rittich for getting his leg in Benn's way when Benn skated through the crease, but I am not sure if he messed up OT.

Smith has to get starts unfortunately, but an .853 is average for Smith, so I would not get too down on Rittich yet.
His mess up was the puckhandling behind the net that started the whole sequence. Not to let the skaters off the hook, They played it badly too. Worst OT I've ever seen the Flames play.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #55
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames might be wanting to pick someone up if waivers and that’s why they haven’t called anyone up yet? Maybe Zykov
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His mess up was the puckhandling behind the net that started the whole sequence. Not to let the skaters off the hook, They played it badly too. Worst OT I've ever seen the Flames play.
Agreed. And I think it started with Peters' decision to go with Johnny and Mony against Benn and Seguin. One thing GG did well (apologies to all for bringing up GG) was starting a defensive lineup against the other team's big 3, then come back with Johnny and Mony. It worked countless times.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #57
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is the start that you start the backup though. Smith is clearly the backup, so he should get the start against a non-playoff team playing the second half of back to backs.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
This is the start that you start the backup though. Smith is clearly the backup, so he should get the start against a non-playoff team playing the second half of back to backs.
I don't disagree. The only caveat is that it's a home game with a crowd that will turn on him if he lets even a sort of soft goal in (or maybe even a can't make tough save early). But I'd start him.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #59
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Peters is going to have a someone take the draw on the strong side every single time in the offensive zone (on the PP or trying to tie). So when Lindholm is sitting, Ryan is out for that purpose.
Yeah I know and I get it, it's a good strategy. Still the best bet would be for Ryan to win the draw and get off ASAP. Plays die on his stick regularly especially vs Dallas.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #60
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

bottoms up if Smith lets in a goal within the first 5 minutes.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post: