Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh come on, Smith has to get starts as well, and you may as well play him against the weakest offense in the league. Not sure what the problem is.

I really hope Frolik is back soon. You don't think he does much when he's in the lineup, but when he's out you really notice his absence. He's one of those "glue" guys that makes everyone around him play a little better, not to mention his penalty killing abilities.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #22
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like him but Lomberg is one of those guys you don't want playing without a heavyweight in the lineup. He will stir things up and make the other team angry with no one to back him up and possibly get a skilled player on our team targeted.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #23
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Janko should NOT be in the 4th line with the way hes playing.
Inconsistent?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the goalie starts we're developing here.

I also really like Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal. Could be worth a shot, and if Bennett faulters at C, Jankowski is a great fit there too.

Seems very odd that they don't know who they want to call up. Even if he wasn't on the ice, what would be wrong with just saying that "Mangiapane is on the way" or something.

Unless...

Last edited by Split98; 11-29-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #25
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Inconsistent?
Janko's points per minutes played is only behind the big 4 forwards and almost even with Gio. That's with almost no PP time and not the most skilled linemates. Agreed he could be more consistent but that goes for most forwards on the team. He's 54.7% on faceoffs, kills penalties and leads the team with shorthanded goals.

He's the second most-skilled centre on the team (if you count Lindholm as a winger) and he's out producing everyone from the second to 4th lines with the exception of Tkachuk. He's earned more playing time with better linemates. I didn't think his chemistry with Neal was bad; certainly better than the chemistry between Ryan and Neal.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s a tough call cause Peters seems to always shorten his bench significantly during the third periods unless the team has a big lead. That means whoever he calls up could get limited playing time. Not sure if that’s a good thing for mangiapane but I would love to see him get a chance and see how he peeforms under Peters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #27
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Oh come on, Smith has to get starts as well, and you may as well play him against the weakest offense in the league. Not sure what the problem is.
I think some people want Rittich to play every game for the rest of the year and think that this is how he's going to play from now on.

How Johnson played a couple years ago for a month and a half should be enough to temper people's expectations but I guess not. I hope he keeps playing well but I'm still not sold that he's not going to go back to playing like a backup.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Seems very odd that they don't know who they want to call up. Even if he wasn't on the ice, what would be wrong with just saying that "Mangiapane is on the way" or something.
Just because they haven't announced it publicly, doesn't mean the team and player don't know who's being recalled.

My understanding is that the daily roster is set at 5:00pm ET. The daily team cap is set at that time. There's really no good reason to file the paperwork on a recall prior to that time if you don't have a game that night and the player wasn't available for practice.

It's only a few thousand dollars difference, but that can add up over the season.

It looks like the first flight of the day from San Francisco to Calgary today landed around 11:30am and the Flames practice was at noon. Whoever is going to be recalled is probably already in Calgary and I suspect we'll get an official announcement sometime after 3:00.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #29
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

give smith starts...on the road. he's putrid at home. they play chicago on sunday and they're pretty terrible as well
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Janko's points per minutes played is only behind the big 4 forwards and almost even with Gio. That's with almost no PP time and not the most skilled linemates. Agreed he could be more consistent but that goes for most forwards on the team. He's 54.7% on faceoffs, kills penalties and leads the team with shorthanded goals.

He's the second most-skilled centre on the team (if you count Lindholm as a winger) and he's out producing everyone from the second to 4th lines with the exception of Tkachuk. He's earned more playing time with better linemates. I didn't think his chemistry with Neal was bad; certainly better than the chemistry between Ryan and Neal.
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good contributor to the team. And I am personally just a fan of the guy. I just don’t believe he has shown much reason to bump down any of our centres. I’m sure we all agree we want him playing at centre. His role will grow with continuous improvements, as Peters has shown he rewards players that way.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #31
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
give smith starts...on the road. he's putrid at home. they play chicago on sunday and they're pretty terrible as well
Rittich has lost 2 straight
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #32
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good contributor to the team. And I am personally just a fan of the guy. I just don’t believe he has shown much reason to bump down any of our centres. I’m sure we all agree we want him playing at centre. His role will grow with continuous improvements, as Peters has shown he rewards players that way.
Five points in his last four games. Playing with confidence and using his size well. Started off the seasons truly struggling but Jankowski has turned it around. He plays three minutes less per game than Ryan but now he should be getting PP time over him.

The only thing Derek Ryan has over Jankowski right now is face-offs. Mind you Ryan sits at a 53.1 and Jankowski at 54.7 for FOW%, so maybe not..
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #33
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not so much about him bumping up or others going down but usage and ice time. I think Janko has earned more at the expense of Ryan and that if you want to get more offensive production, he should be centering the second scoring line. And I also don't understand why he never gets a look on the 2nd powerplay unit. He has good hands, reach, vision and one of the best shots on the team. He scored a lot of PP goals on one-timers from the right hashmarks on one-timers in Stockton.

I don't dislike Derek Ryan. I just think Jankowski brings a lot more offensively. Seems like Peters swaps their roles and I think he has things backwards. Don't understand what Jankowski has to do to stay up as 3rd line centre.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #34
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Rittich has lost 2 straight
...and he looked fine/good in both?
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

I really hope Frolik is back soon. You don't think he does much when he's in the lineup, but when he's out you really notice his absence. He's one of those "glue" guys that makes everyone around him play a little better, not to mention his penalty killing abilities.
Since he was benched I can't think of a bad game he's had.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #36
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not worried down the road but Rittich did not look great last night. He let in the first shot, and put up a .857 Sv%. I don't mind giving him a game or two off.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #37
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Janko should NOT be in the 4th line with the way hes playing. Disappointing.
If it makes you feel any better, could’ve just posted the lines like this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Lomberg-Jankowski-Hathaway
Neal-Ryan-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Old 11-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He looked merely OK in both. I don't think he was special in either game - he stopped routine shots but there weren't any huge saves either. Only an .853 against Dallas and he kinda messed up that OT. November definitely wasn't as good for him as October.

Smith doesn't get the benefit of much doubt here, but he was just as good against Phoenix (and I remember one really good sequence of saves). And, aside from being at home, LA is the perfect opponent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #39
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post

Totally agree. Janko needs to be given a shot on the second line. He is one of our more skilled forwards and he needs to stop being burried on the 4th line with plugs.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hawks are nowhere near as bad as LA and much better at scoring., Plus the Kings play tonight as well and will be tired from beating Edmonton.