Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #5501
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Derek Wills on the FAN 960 now saying the coaches don't believe Smith's injury is serious. I think he tweaked something on that set of saves in the first minute of the game and tried to play through it. Hopefully he doesn't miss any time.
Brutal if this is true. Way to be honest with your teammates there Smitty.

If he tweaked something at the start of the game maybe have a trainer look at it before letting in 4 goals and almost costing your team 2 points
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #5502
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Brutal if this is true. Way to be honest with your teammates there Smitty.

If he tweaked something at the start of the game maybe have a trainer look at it before letting in 4 goals and almost costing your team 2 points
No kidding.

He’s been bad. But he looked off, even for him, all evening.

Makes sense now (something tweaked). Way to be selfish.

Edit: maybe unfair to assume he was selfish on it. Just really trying to find an explaination for that performance

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 12-13-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Like... did he have his skate guards on?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #5503
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well that makes sense now with that goal he let in. Don't think its selfish he thought he could play through it and he couldn't do it going into the third.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #5504
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Smitty can't win.

Let's in a bad goal and he's a quitter.

Tries to battle through an injury and he's selfish.

This place is unbelievable.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #5505
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Well that makes sense now with that goal he let in. Don't think its selfish he thought he could play through it and he couldn't do it going into the third.
Last year we saw it happen a lot; it would look like he hurt something, but then he would go on to play well the rest of the game; He likely thought this was similar, only it turned out it wasn't.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #5506
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Friedman Blackhawks have put Jan Rutta on waivers.

Flames were reportedly one of the teams that chased after him as an Euro UFA in the 2017 offseason, but hard to see how he would fit in now or have any interest at this point.

$2.25 mil cap hit for the rest of the season
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #5507
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Poor Smitty can't win.

If he let that 4th goal in because he tweaked his groin or something and couldn't stretch to the post then your damn right it's selfish. I have no idea if this is what happened but that goal was so bad it might be something with his right leg.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #5508
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he let that 4th goal in because he tweaked his groin or something and couldn't stretch to the post then your damn right it's selfish. I have no idea if this is what happened but that goal was so bad it might be something with his right leg.
Selfish or just didn't realize it was as bad as it was. But yeah, let's go with selfish. Because he wanted the minutes and didn't care if a goal was to go in or something.

Last edited by GioforPM; 12-13-2018 at 10:27 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #5509
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Treliving: Hi Stan, can I interest you in a trade that greatly benefits me while greatly affecting you negatively?

Bowman: Sounds great! Where do I sign?

Crawford is a legitimate #1 starter and Anisimov has 3 straight 20 goal seasons. They can be packaged for significant picks and prospects for their rebuild instead of 2 injured players with 1 year left and a UFA goaltender with the worst starting numbers in the entire NHL..
I'd say everybody on the Hawks roster is available for the right price. They just stopped an eight game losing streak.

Sending some expiring UFAs over for Crawford actually might work. They'd probably want a high draft pick though.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #5510
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Treliving: Hi Stan, can I interest you in a trade that greatly benefits me while greatly affecting you negatively?

Bowman: Sounds great! Where do I sign?

Crawford is a legitimate #1 starter and Anisimov has 3 straight 20 goal seasons. They can be packaged for significant picks and prospects for their rebuild instead of 2 injured players with 1 year left and a UFA goaltender with the worst starting numbers in the entire NHL..
Don't under estimate the wizard. Ya that trade makes no sense but I can see Treliving making a call to Stan about Crawford.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #5511
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Selfish or just didn't realize it was as bad as it was. But yeah, let's go with selfish. Because he wanted the minutes and didn't care if a goal to go in or something.
For the record I'm not calling him selfish outright. We'll never know but what I'm saying is ifhe felt and was aware of an injury he should have had a trainer look at it and be honest about it.

Smith knows how well Rittich is playing and would be aware that him letting in 3-4 goals on 13 shots may take him out of the net for a while.

The potential is there that he hid an injury to try and play through it so he wouldn't lose the starters net he just got back. Your crazy if you think players dont think these things. and IF that is the case Selfish it is

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 12-13-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #5512
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
For the record I'm not calling him selfish outright. We'll never know but what I'm saying is ifhe felt and was aware of an injury he should have had a trainer look at it and be honest about it.
For all we know Smith and the trainers talked about how he was feeling at the end of the first period, and both decided he was good to continue. We don't even know how he was hurt, nor how long he continued to play after sustaining an injury. And here we are with posters losing their minds over Mike Smith's selfishness. Good god.

Quote:
I have no idea if he was aware or not; or if even anything is wrong with him, but if he was aware then I do think it's selfish. Smith knows how well Rittich is playing and would be aware that him letting in 3-4 goals on 13 shots may take him out of the net for a while.
How well has Rittich played? In his last five starts he has one win, a 0.895 SP, and a 3.06 GAA. In that same time Smith has won six games. This entire line of argument is utterly vapid.

Quote:
The potential is there that he hid an injury to try and play through it so he wouldn't lose the starters net he just got back. Your crazy if you think players dont think these things. and IF that is the case Selfish it is
This is reactionary conspiracy nonsense. Moreover, Smith and Rittich have been splitting games for over a month now. NOBODY has the starters net to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #5513
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Poor Smitty can't win.

No, that goal was unbelievable.

Missing from my post is: “if he tweaked something early”.

He was flopping all game and looked off. And then let in that 4th goal...

He’s let in 3-4 goals this season worse than the Elliot killer. But everything about that 4th one was weird. I was watching thinking maybe he took a hit to the head earlier that I missed. If he tweaked something in the first, the goal makes more sense.

(And of course everything said is speculation... that’s what we are doing. Speculating.)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #5514
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=Textcritic;6907107] How well has Rittich played? In his last five starts he has one win, a 0.895 SP, and a 3.06 GAA. In that same time Smith has won six games. This entire line of argument is utterly vapid.

Ho do you figuire? I will be the first to admit I'm speculating but based off the numbers below can you really tell me the thought and worry of losing the starting job after 3 goals on 12 shots wouldn't have entered Smiths mind and Maybe tried to play through something he shouldn't for himself

Rittich 16 GP 2.31 GAA .921 SV%

Smith 20 GP 2.99 GAA .888SV%

Like I said I'm speculating but his performance this year has Smith should have smith fighting for his playing time and career and to suggest he wouldn't be aware of this is crazy

I don't see anyway the flames can justify Smith getting starting minutes over Rittich in the near term. I really hope Smith can find his game, there were quality chances against last night but he just can't seem to make that 1 save the team needs like Rittich did in OT last night.

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 12-13-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #5515
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Ho do you figuire? I will be the first to admit I'm speculating...
That's how.

Quote:
...I don't see anyway the flames can justify Smith getting starting minutes over Rittich in the near term...
It's a good thing he has not been getting "starting minutes." Both goalies have been splitting games for six weeks now.

It bears repeating...
Quote:
...This is reactionary conspiracy nonsense.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #5516
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

TC ^ my comment was directed at you saying my line of argument was vapid.

Rittich has better numbers this year and should be starting more games than Smith at this point the evidence is clearly there.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #5517
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
TC ^ my comment was directed at you saying my line of argument was vapid.
Yes. I explained why your argument is vapid. It is supported quite literally by nothing more than your own imagination.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #5518
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edit: Wrong thread.

Last edited by Mattman; 12-13-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Wrong thread for this discussion.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #5519
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. I explained why your argument is vapid. It is supported quite literally by nothing more than your own imagination.
Ouch.

Maybe we should call Parsons up? He does have that one good game this year 😉
Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #5520
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A goalie discussion thread was posted this morning FFS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread