Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #3701
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Rumour I’ve heard is Bennett, Stone, and Defense Prospect (Kylington?) for Nylander.

A lot of Bennett trade rumours lately and decisions to be made when Haminic returns. Interesting that’s Leafs GM was at game.
Do you have a source for that?

Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #3702
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stone played 17:54 tonight, may have been showcased but Bennett played the least amount of minutes of all Flames forwards with 10:29.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #3703
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rumour I’ve heard is Bennett, Stone, and Defense Prospect (Kylington?) for Nylander.

A lot of Bennett trade rumours lately and decisions to be made when Haminic returns. Interesting that’s Leafs GM was at game.
Yeah, combined with the money he's clearly looking for I'm not a fan of that in any way. That would be brutal.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #3704
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

This doesn't seem totally unreasonable except for fact that its not enough contract going to Toronto. I'd assume Nylander signs in Calgary for $6.75m...Toronto has to take about $6m in salary from Calgary to make it work. I'd speculate something more along the lines of

Brodie+Jankowski+2nd round pick ($6.4m salary to Toronto)
or
Hamonic+Frolik+2nd round pick ($8.2m salary to Toronto)
or
Stone+Frolik+1st round pick+2nd round pick ($7.8m salary to toronto)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #3705
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
This doesn't seem totally unreasonable except for fact that its not enough contract going to Toronto. I'd assume Nylander signs in Calgary for $6.75m...Toronto has to take about $6m in salary from Calgary to make it work. I'd speculate something more along the lines of

or
or
Except the reason they would deal Nylander is that they need to save money for Matthews, so picking up similar money (for more than a year) doesn't work for them.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #3706
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sign me up. I still believe Bennett may come around, but that would be a good deal for us.

OT, but I noticed that William Nylander's last name in his bio is "Altelius". Is this a cultural thing in Sweden to have a last name that isn't used officially as the family name?

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-21-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #3707
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
OT, but I noticed that William Nylander's last name in his bio is "Altelius". Is this a cultural thing in Sweden to have a last name that isn't used officially as the family name?
That's his mother's maiden name. I think it's common in Sweden for kids to be given both their parents' surnames. Some, like Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, and Adam Ollas-Mattsson use both names when they turn pro. Others don't.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #3708
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
or
or
Uggh, these are all so brutal. Ask yourself what you'd give up for Tkachuk when thinking of trade deals. Would you really move him for Stone and Frolik? These are just laughable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 01:17 AM   #3709
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Uggh, these are all so brutal. Ask yourself what you'd give up for Tkachuk when thinking of trade deals. Would you really move him for Stone and Frolik? These are just laughable.
Toronto needs a top pairing level defenceman, and despite the over-the-top reactions around here - Brodie is that.

I do wonder if there could be a deal built around those two. Calgary can offer:

Top-4 defenceman (Brodie)
Veteran depth forward (Frolik)
Quality goalie depth (Gillies)

Toronto is in an interesting spot. They're rich beyond belief up front, while also having huge problems defensively and could possibly use some solid veteran depth to help them fill in spots when injuries arise.

I think there is some potential there for at least the basis of a deal.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-22-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #3710
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Toronto needs a top pairing level defenceman, and despite the over-the-top reactions around here - Brodie is that.

I do wonder if there could be a deal built around those two. Calgary can offer:

Top-4 defenceman (Brodie)
Veteran depth forward (Frolik)
Quality goalie depth (Gillies)

Toronto is in an interesting spot. They're rich beyond belief up front, while also having huge problems defensively and could possibly use some solid veteran depth to help them fill in spots when injuries arise.

I think there is some potential there.
So Leafs are trading a 60 point 22 year old for a D-man who has not looked great for the last couple years and a LW for the 3rd/4th line which they don't really need? Oh and a goalie for the AHL because they Leafs aren't putting Sparks on waivers. Plus those two players go UFA in 2020.

And we get to pay the combined cap hit of 9 million! Yes, I think you are on to something.

Sorry I meant to type I think you are on something.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:54 AM   #3711
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not condoning any of these trade proposals, savemedrzaius, but I am pretty confident that when Nylander gets traded, you are going to be disappointed in the return.

1) Toronto has little leverage here
2) Nylander is pretty one-dimensional, and wingers are bottom of the totem pole
3) his point totals have been significantly inflated by the fact that he has had the good fortune to play mostly with great line-mates, and most importantly
4) his contract demands both reduce his return value, and make it extremely difficult for other teams to take him on.

The Leafs need to take back less salary than they are trading out, otherwise what is the point? Just keep him. And in a cap world, when you need to trade down salary, you are getting less talent back. Probably a lot less.

That is why a package around Bennett makes sense for the Leafs - at least they would be getting potential in return. But the problem with a deal like that for the Flames is that they would then have cap problems (as well as trading away Bennett's potential). So to do it, the talent trade-off would have to be a pretty big win for the Flames.

And these factors would apply more of less for any trading partner that Toronto is talking to. In other words, you and Leaf nation are probably going to be very disappointed in the return.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #3712
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto could easily trade Nylander without taking a huge amount of cap hit back, so they won't be taking unwanted cap hit back..

So including Frolik to hep Calgary won't interest them.

They'll only take back unwanted cap hit if they get a huge piece they really covet.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #3713
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am not condoning any of these trade proposals, savemedrzaius, but I am pretty confident that when Nylander gets traded, you are going to be disappointed in the return.

3) his point totals have been significantly inflated by the fact that he has had the good fortune to play mostly with great line-mates, and most importantly
4) his contract demands both reduce his return value, and make it extremely difficult for other teams to take him on.

The Leafs need to take back less salary than they are trading out, otherwise what is the point? Just keep him. And in a cap world, when you need to trade down salary, you are getting less talent back. Probably a lot less.

That is why a package around Bennett makes sense for the Leafs - at least they would be getting potential in return. But the problem with a deal like that for the Flames is that they would then have cap problems (as well as trading away Bennett's potential). So to do it, the talent trade-off would have to be a pretty big win for the Flames.

And these factors would apply more of less for any trading partner that Toronto is talking to. In other words, you and Leaf nation are probably going to be very disappointed in the return.
This. Agree that most of these trades are silly but Leafs fans need to get ready for an underwhelming return because of all the above factors. Still seems to me that Nashville and Anaheim look like their best trade partners. If they can get a salary controlled top 4 defencemen in return, along with a pick/prospect, then I think they make the move. A much more talented and accomplished Taylor Hall got traded for something similar, if not less.

Also, Tkachuk is a significantly more valuable player than Nylander. He’s a possession 2 way monster who is now scoring at an elite clip. Nylander is a very one dimensional scoring winger who is two years ahead of Tkachuk draft wise. Tkachuk is emerging as an elite player you build a team around, Nylander will always just be a piece.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-22-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:52 AM   #3714
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And speaking of Tkachuk scoring at an elite clip, if he keeps this up we’re going to have our own problems with his contract coming up, a good problem but a problem none the less. I think 7.5 is going to be a pipe dream at this point, I think we might be looking at Draisaitls deal. So I don’t see where acquiring another high priced winger helps us here. The trade doesn’t make sense to me. If anything we need an upgrade in net or on the defence, our forwards are pretty set right now.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #3715
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have a very hard time believing the Flames would fit their defensive depth like this even though it is a good trwde for them. Take out Stone and Kylington who steps in when another is player gets injured?

Moving Stone, Kylington, and Kulak destroys all the depth Treliving has tried to build on the blue line. Toronto would also have to really love both Bennett and Kylington if they were making this deal.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #3716
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

First off, I don't think he will be traded. I am almost 100% sure he won't be traded this season.

For your first point, the Leafs actually have most of the leverage here. If Nylander want to play in the NHL the Leafs have his rights. They don't have to sign Nylander this season. This would hurt the Leafs but it would hurt Nylander even more. They can't cave into Nylander's demands because of next years RFAs.

Second point, so is that how you feel about Johnny too?

Third point, good players tend to play with good players. Pasternak is good. His linemates make him better, but I don't see anyone using that logic on Pasternak so why does it apply to Willy.

Point four, that's why I think it is very unlikely he gets traded unless the trade is fair value. There is no reason for the Leafs to give Nylander up at a discount.

A package around Bennett does not make sense for the Leafs. I know you guys still have high hopes for Bennett but I would think the rest of the league see what he is. Whenever I watch him play he reminds me of Connor Brown on the Leafs...A good player but nothing great.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #3717
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
First off, I don't think he will be traded. I am almost 100% sure he won't be traded this season.

For your first point, the Leafs actually have most of the leverage here. If Nylander want to play in the NHL the Leafs have his rights. They don't have to sign Nylander this season. This would hurt the Leafs but it would hurt Nylander even more. They can't cave into Nylander's demands because of next years RFAs.

Second point, so is that how you feel about Johnny too?

Third point, good players tend to play with good players. Pasternak is good. His linemates make him better, but I don't see anyone using that logic on Pasternak so why does it apply to Willy.

Point four, that's why I think it is very unlikely he gets traded unless the trade is fair value. There is no reason for the Leafs to give Nylander up at a discount.

A package around Bennett does not make sense for the Leafs. I know you guys still have high hopes for Bennett but I would think the rest of the league see what he is. Whenever I watch him play he reminds me of Connor Brown on the Leafs...A good player but nothing great.

The Leafs D is downright terrible.... They don’t need Nylander, they should trade from a position of strength for a position of need.

Just saying, Brodie and Hamonic would instantly become #2 and #3 which is exactly what the leafs need. Nylander is a one dimensional expensive winger, he’s good, but the Leafs have big needs on the backend. Something like Brodie + 1st would absolutely be fair, considering the contract Brodie is on as well.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #3718
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's his mother's maiden name. I think it's common in Sweden for kids to be given both their parents' surnames. Some, like Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, and Adam Ollas-Mattsson use both names when they turn pro. Others don't.
No, no it's not. Why there seems to be so many Swedish hockey players with two surnames is beyond me.

In the company I work with 130+ people I there are 0 with double names as far as I know. It's weird, most "us" are Andersson, Johansson, Svensson kind of names or the Forsberg, Eklund, Dahlin, Carlen, Sundin kind.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #3719
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

Second point, so is that how you feel about Gaudreau?

To second point- Yes, except he is a significantly better one dimensional winger.

Agree that a package around Bennett doesn’t make sense tho. Only thing that makes sense to me is a package around a cost controlled top 4 d-man. Flames don’t have one to give up as I don’t believe Brodie is worthy of that distinction, and even if he was, the Flames would then have their own blueline issues that will be hard to replace.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #3720
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to think Dubas was at the game to watch the NYR. Nylander for Hayes + or Nylander for Zibanejad + is exactly the kind of deal that gets them a similar asset to Nylander albeit cost controlled.

I am sure NYR would be open to this as they need someone to build around. There is not a lot of star power there at the moment. It's going to sound like blasphemy here, but NYR would he smart to build a young team that will be ready in 4 years and then backup the brinks truck for JG.