Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #201
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's been a bit of a tough go thus far. Great group of kids and parents but my little guy is struggling. Skills wise he fits right in at the N1 level but he has not fared well in the games. At first I thought it was a lack of effort but I now believe he is intimidated by the pace of the play and greater aggression that has come with a higher level of hockey. Of course getting my son to talk about how things are going is next to impossible.

Unfortunately the head coach has been pretty tough on him. I was pushing him at the start too but am now just doing my best to encourage in a positive manner. The games should be the fun part but I can see the anxiety on my little guys face before every game.

Any advice on helping my son gain some much needed confidence?
To be shot down in Flames!

Last edited by hixxes; 11-27-2018 at 06:28 PM.
hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #202
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Gone!!

Last edited by CMPunk; 11-27-2018 at 01:40 PM.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #203
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm going to weigh in here, and Mccree I'm not singling you out in particular.

Can I ask you (as parents) what do you consider to be 'good results' or a 'successful' season. I'm seeing comments here about how many games have been won/lost, how many goals players score etc. What about things such as are the kids having fun? Do they want to come to the rink? Are their skills improving (not necessarily goals and assists, but are they skating better, making better passes, better puck and stick skills etc.

As both a parent and a (retired) coach in minor hockey it is easy to get caught up in how many game are won, how many goals are scored etc. As a HC I always told the parents that I did not measure success and results by our win/loss totals. That means squat in the big picture, it is how much the players are improving and their experience that matters most if we want to keep players in the game.

Keep in mind that even at the highest level of minor hockey (the AAA levels of midget and even more so bantam) - this is still considered developmental hockey where skills should be emphasized over stats/game results.

I enjoy this thread and how everyone perceives their season, but I do seem to see more comments on how the team is doing in the standings than how they are doing developmentally.
My boy's skating has improved immensely since evaluations. He's learning a new position (centre) and has to skate more, this has been terrific. It's always been his weakness. The head coach has challenged him as a 2nd year peewee to do more, I love it.

Their W/L record is horse####, actually.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #204
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
. What about things such as are the kids having fun? Do they want to come to the rink? Are their skills improving (not necessarily goals and assists, but are they skating better, making better passes, better puck and stick skills etc.

don't forget the all important- how good are the parent parties?

while in jest certainly some of the years I look back on with fondness are the ones where the parents and kids all clicked and had fun. luckily my guy was able to show quite a bit of growth year to year which was important too
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #205
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I enjoy this thread and how everyone perceives their season, but I do seem to see more comments on how the team is doing in the standings than how they are doing developmentally.

And if the team is dominating the standings, maybe they weren't seeded properly to begin with.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #206
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to weigh in here, and Mccree I'm not singling you out in particular.

Can I ask you (as parents) what do you consider to be 'good results' or a 'successful' season. I'm seeing comments here about how many games have been won/lost, how many goals players score etc. What about things such as are the kids having fun? Do they want to come to the rink? Are their skills improving (not necessarily goals and assists, but are they skating better, making better passes, better puck and stick skills etc.

As both a parent and a (retired) coach in minor hockey it is easy to get caught up in how many game are won, how many goals are scored etc. As a HC I always told the parents that I did not measure success and results by our win/loss totals. That means squat in the big picture, it is how much the players are improving and their experience that matters most if we want to keep players in the game.

Keep in mind that even at the highest level of minor hockey (the AAA levels of midget and even more so bantam) - this is still considered developmental hockey where skills should be emphasized over stats/game results.

As long as my boy is having fun that is all that matters. yes he is getting better, Yes he has a lot to improve on but he is having fun. Just not sure how much fun he will keep having if every game is a 7-1 , 8-1 loss.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #207
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was probably inevitable. There is pressure to remove 'Midget' as an age category from hockey. And with it probably all the other named categories as well. I can see them going to U10, U14 etc. similar to soccer and what Hockey USA has done. But it is apparently a Hockey Canada issue, they are the only ones that can officially change the group names. Provincial hockey bodies abide by Hockey Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/minor-...ames-1.4196330
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #208
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy hockey weekend for my son, as his midget team played in red deer on Saturday and he had a solid effort and then today he got his first taste of the action as he was an emergency call up goalie for the canucks as they took on olds this afternoon. He did not play, but nonetheless it was super cool for me heraring his name called out by the PA guy in olds.

His regular team played a tournament in olds last weekend, and we stayed in red deer. Needless to say I am tired of driving to red deer.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #209
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who has the best camps in Calgary? Serdachny any good? My son is a peewee.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #210
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
As long as my boy is having fun that is all that matters. yes he is getting better, Yes he has a lot to improve on but he is having fun. Just not sure how much fun he will keep having if every game is a 7-1 , 8-1 loss.
Hey are you guys playing in that Trails West Tourney this weekend? Games at Southland?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #211
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Hey are you guys playing in that Trails West Tourney this weekend? Games at Southland?
We are not. It might be our other Pee wee team.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #212
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Who has the best camps in Calgary? Serdachny any good? My son is a peewee.
It will be interesting to see how many responses you get on this question, but here is my $0.02.

Personally, I think there are a lot of good camps out there. And a lot will depend on the player, and thier chemistry with the instructors along with the group of kids they are in the camp with.

Out of the various spring programs my son (who is a goalie) has gone to - I would say he got the most out of the junior hitmen program and last spring with stix which is global sports.

Good luck picking a camp.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #213
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We are not. It might be our other Pee wee team.
We smashed them.......

Good luck to your boy and his team.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #214
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I liked the Okanagan Hockey School at Flames Community Arenas back in the day as a camp. Torjager also wasn’t bad, a little lower level caliber
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #215
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any thoughts on some of the boundary changes coming to the North. Saints have 4 of them posted as they are the most affected.

http://calgarysaints.ca/news.php?news_id=1748709&lang=

The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #216
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not entirely sure why they are overthinking this. Mcknight and Saints have limited numbers, they should merge them. It worked with Crowchild/Westwood (NWW) and with Southland/Shaw Meadows (Southwest) that took under-subscribed associations and made successful merged groups. Merge them.

I'm also noticing in one plan they have our neighbourhood move to a different association. Why? Bow River has plenty of kids, they don't need to move us there!
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #217
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hi folks,

With those of you with kids in the following age groups looking for Spring Hockey, the Association I am a director with has a few openings:

2008 Gold - 2 Defense
2009 Silver - 5 Skaters & 1 Goalie
2010 Silver - 3 Skaters & 1 Goalie

www.airdriestars.ca

We're a not for profit group and we work really hard to keep costs down. Registration fee is $550.00 and includes practices, a couple of exhibitions, tournament, and one set of jerseys and socks. Additional activities will be at the expense of the team.

Email airdriestars@gmail.com to discuss prior to registering.

Last edited by Deegee; 01-07-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Forgot email.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #218
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Any thoughts on some of the boundary changes coming to the North. Saints have 4 of them posted as they are the most affected.

What else is everyone hearing? I heard one where BV might lose a community.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #219
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
What else is everyone hearing? I heard one where BV might lose a community.
Rumors, rumors, and more rumors. There are many options for Hockey Calgary to evaluate and one thing for certain is nothing has been decided yet. Its possible that is one of the options they are looking at, who knows for sure.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #220
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i thought that the president of the saints could have worded his thoughts a little more clearly, and not made a dig comment at mcknight.

these are always tough things for HC to decide as many people feel passionately about their association. early in my son's career 7 clubs was merged in with blackfoot. many people from 7 clubs were n ot happy as they felt that they were just a number with blackfoot. in addition, a lot of thier full ice practices were changed to half ice practices0.

i can't say if the process could have been handled any differently becasue it was too early in my son's career for me to have an opinion and we were always blackfoot.

Quote: