Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #5681
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’d love some acknowledgement from Brouwer that he was performing way under what was needed by the Flames, and now is looking to do everything he can to change it moving forward.
Instead of illustrating what he was or wasn’t on other teams he played for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #5682
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a trade freeze during bye weeks?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #5683
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
would that allow Lazar to center frolik and Mangiapane? might be worth trying
That's a really speedy line. I'd even be interested in seeing frolik-hrivik-lazar.

Pushing Brouwer to the Backlund line gives the 4th line a lot more options.

I also kind of like having Brouwer with Tkachuk as it gives him some tough backup, it also draws Brouwer into more scrims which I think is good.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #5684
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I’d love some acknowledgement from Brouwer that he was performing way under what was needed by the Flames, and now is looking to do everything he can to change it moving forward.
Instead of illustrating what he was or wasn’t on other teams he played for.
Guys handle things differently. If he needs to express confidence in his abilities and in doing so doesn't talk his own game down, so be it. I doubt he's unaware of it.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #5685
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
That's a really speedy line. I'd even be interested in seeing frolik-hrivik-lazar.

Pushing Brouwer to the Backlund line gives the 4th line a lot more options.

I also kind of like having Brouwer with Tkachuk as it gives him some tough backup, it also draws Brouwer into more scrims which I think is good.
especially since the "Backlund" effect seems to have helped Brouwer to elevate his play to adequately replace Fro it seems like...

Calgary's biggest issue early in the season was a lack of secondary scoring...

now that Bennett, Janko, Hathway looks legit, if the team can add some punch from the fourth line, this team will be very dangerous.

Still need to fix the PP though...but its pretty impressive to have a 6 game win streak with a terrible power play... Once that is fixed...could be very promising
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #5686
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

how would Andrew Shaw look for Calgary?
I don't like him because he's a bit of a S$#@ disturber, but maybe I could like him more if he was doing it for us?
shoots right and plays RW. Salary is a little high, and I'm not sure how the bonus for this year works against the cap.
Is he just a younger Troy B?
Flames would have to send salary back, but who? I doubt the Habs would take Brower
Old 01-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #5687
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
especially since the "Backlund" effect seems to have helped Brouwer to elevate his play to adequately replace Fro it seems like...

Calgary's biggest issue early in the season was a lack of secondary scoring...

now that Bennett, Janko, Hathway looks legit, if the team can add some punch from the fourth line, this team will be very dangerous.

Still need to fix the PP though...but its pretty impressive to have a 6 game win streak with a terrible power play... Once that is fixed...could be very promising
I think we have enough depth as it is. I would target another top6 winger to play with Tkachuk and Backlund, and then bump Frolik and Hathaway down one line. Frolik in an ideal world is a 3rd liner and Hathaway is 4th liner on competing SC teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #5688
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I think we have enough depth as it is. I would target another top6 winger to play with Tkachuk and Backlund, and then bump Frolik and Hathaway down one line. Frolik in an ideal world is a 3rd liner and Hathaway is 4th liner on competing SC teams.
Yeah, I could buy that.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #5689
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
how would Andrew Shaw look for Calgary?
I don't like him because he's a bit of a S$#@ disturber, but maybe I could like him more if he was doing it for us?
shoots right and plays RW. Salary is a little high, and I'm not sure how the bonus for this year works against the cap.
Is he just a younger Troy B?
Flames would have to send salary back, but who? I doubt the Habs would take Brower
Why would the Habs trade him?

If they did, it would be to get cheaper and want draft picks for him. It certainly won't include Brouwer.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #5690
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What would it take to pry nylander from the leafs? Brodie for Nylander straight up? Or do we have to add?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #5691
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
What would it take to pry nylander from the leafs? Brodie for Nylander straight up? Or do we have to add?
You won't. There is no reason why the Leafs would move him.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #5692
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You won't. There is no reason why the Leafs would move him.
That's not entirely true. They're looking to add a big fish to their back end, so that's a possible reason.

Not saying I'd make the trade, but Nylander and Marner's names have come up a lot recently in talks of potentially landing a d-man.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #5693
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
That's not entirely true. They're looking to add a big fish to their back end, so that's a possible reason.

Not saying I'd make the trade, but Nylander and Marner's names have come up a lot recently in talks of potentially landing a d-man.
I think most of that has been fan speculation more than anything. It makes some sense that they wouldd want a D - but I don't think they are going to give up one of their prime forwards to get that. If anything they could look at dealing a guy like JVR or Bozak for a rental D, as both of them are pending UFAs as well. Or they could look at trading prospect/picks so they aren't deducting from the roster.
I don't think there is anything legitimate to discussions involving Marner or Nylander.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #5694
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Leafs have Dermott who has looked amazing although it has only been two games. I'd rather they just ride out with what they got and maybe make a minor trade for a bottom pairing defenseman.

Plus they have Polak who is a Top 3 defender in the league.

For all this Nylander and Marner talk...As a Flames fan if you were to trade Tkachuk what would you want in return? A player like Brodie? Realistic return? No. Nylander and Marner are on the same level as Tkachuk. They aren't getting traded for broken defenseman.

Gardiner for Tkachuk?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #5695
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I think most of that has been fan speculation more than anything. It makes some sense that they wouldd want a D - but I don't think they are going to give up one of their prime forwards to get that. If anything they could look at dealing a guy like JVR or Bozak for a rental D, as both of them are pending UFAs as well. Or they could look at trading prospect/picks so they aren't deducting from the roster.
I don't think there is anything legitimate to discussions involving Marner or Nylander.
A lot of talk about them looking for a much bigger fish than a rental D, and JVR or Bozak aren't getting much more than that.

Haven't heard any concrete rumours, but if they are looking for a potential top pairing D I don't think those names (both players they've had on the 4th line this season at times) are out of the question.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #5696
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Plus they have Polak who is a Top 3 defender in the league.
Say whaaaaaaaa?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #5697
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ I did a double take when I read that too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #5698
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dman for forward trades I could see with the Leafs would be

Nylander or Marner for Dougie
Kadri for Brodie

I can only see a deal like that happening at the draft if the Flames have a poor end to the season. I am sure they want to enter the postseason with this top 4 intact.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #5699
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Say whaaaaaaaa?
Pretty sure it's a joke. I was listening to the fan this morning and everyone outside of leafs management HATES Polak, but they were saying Babcock doesn't care what anyone thinks, Polak is a Babcock guy. I'm guessing he's their Bartkowski.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #5700
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Dman for forward trades I could see with the Leafs would be

Nylander or Marner for Dougie
Kadri for Brodie

I can only see a deal like that happening at the draft if the Flames have a poor end to the season. I am sure they want to enter the postseason with this top 4 intact.
So what you're saying is it would have to happen later to make sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread