Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #5581
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The real question is do we even want him at 12 million?
That would be an emphatical yes.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #5582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers took a run at Tavares.
Yep. Seems like the Rangers thing to do as they do need a franchise forward and Tavares doesn't have to pick up and move very far.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #5583
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Melnyk is just a bad owner. Theory is that with the upcoming Karlsson and Stone contracts, the Sens need to shed salary to fit the budget Melnyk has given them.

Phaneuf is being shopped to the teams on his trade list and they may retain salary and/or take back a bad contract to get rid of him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #5584
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably unpopular opinion...

A homecoming for Dion?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #5585
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post

A homecoming for Dion?
I'd say Bartkowski and Brouwer would be nice, but damn if that Dion contract isn't still awful - even with salary retained.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #5586
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post

A homecoming for Dion?
Absolutely an unpopular opinion and a terrible move.

Next summer the Flames need new contracts for Tkachuk, Ferland, Bennett all of which are going to be significant raises. Mike Smith also needs to be replaced and we can’t be confident we will have great cheap goaltending.

Dion would be the highest paid player on the team and the 6th Dman
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #5587
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? I'd love a homecoming for Dion. That would be absolute best case scenario for the Flames.

We are talking about his hometown, Edmonton, right?
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #5588
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I don't know, Gulutzan might be so overwhelmed when Dion comes in and changes the locker room music, he might rip off the C from Gio's jersey and slap it on Dion's immediately.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #5589
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why but I have this weird vision of Tavares as a Shark.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #5590
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny01 View Post
absolutely an unpopular opinion and a terrible move.

next summer the flames need new contracts for tkachuk, ferland, bennett all of which are going to be significant raises. mike smith also needs to be replaced and we can’t be confident we will have great cheap goaltending.

Dion would be the highest paid player on the team and the 6th dman
edit:

Last edited by Since1984; 01-12-2018 at 10:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #5591
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

McKenzie tweeted that’s teams are calling on Sam Reinhart again.

Sounds like they need a goalie and D. Flames have some decent prospect depth at both positions. Maybe Reinhart is too slow? He is a right shot though.

Lazar and Kylington? Probably not enough
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #5592
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
McKenzie tweeted that’s teams are calling on Sam Reinhart again.

Sounds like they need a goalie and D. Flames have some decent prospect depth at both positions. Maybe Reinhart is too slow? He is a right shot though.

Lazar and Kylington? Probably not enough
They don't have any marshmallows available instead?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #5593
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on 960 said that he thinks the Oilers and Sens trade talks for Hoffman involved Caggiula.

If that is the kind of players Ottawa is looking at, Treliving get in on this.
no way Caggiula is the centerpiece from the Oilers side of the ledger unless there's a 1st rounder (lottery protected) pick in there...

IF Melnyk thinks attendance was an issue last year when they were winning, trading a Hoffman for Caggiula + something less than a 1st would crater attendance
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #5594
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

If somehow we could upgrade on Frolik to Hoffman or even a Stone then that would easily be my dream scenario.

If the Sens are looking to shed salary, can we interest them in soon to be UFA and good-guy-in-locker-room Matt Stajan? I'm sure that's enough... Right...right?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #5595
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
For me it is a big no. It is not that he is not an elite first line C but you sign Tavares to a long term 12M/yr deal and all of the sudden there is nothing to go to Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland, and re-signing Backlund. So lets say best case scenario the trade off of letting Backlund go to bring in Tavares is a win no matter what but Bennett is starting to break out and if it continues he is going to command dollars. We know Tkachuk is going to command a decent salary and Ferland is also going to get a good raise after his contract is up. You also have Brodie and Hamilton to re-up in a few years as well. So in a roundabout way you can ask would you trade Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland, and Backlund for a signed Tavares? Sure you can make other moves to accommodate keeping those guys but then you have to majorly downgrade the blue line or somewhere else. Monahan is a downgrade from Tavares to be sure but not that major a downgrade and while Tavares is a pretty big upgrade on Backlund offensively he is not an upgrade at all as far as defensive game goes, he would be a downgrade. It just makes no sense to have the depth we have built torn apart for a piece I don't think we really need.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #5596
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't know why but I have this weird vision of Tavares as a Shark.
It does seem like a perfect landing spot if Tavares wants off the Island.

Thornton is UFA at the end of the season and even if he re-signs for a year or two, it would be at a lower salary than the $8MM he's making now. So there's money available, along with a 1st line C position on a very competitive Sharks team.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #5597
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on 960 said that he thinks the Oilers and Sens trade talks for Hoffman involved Caggiula.

If that is the kind of players Ottawa is looking at, Treliving get in on this.
He also said that the Oilers have let teams know that Slepyshov (or whatever his name is) is available.
I'm sure GMs were very excited to hear that news and lining up to make their offers.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #5598
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Maybe I am undervaluing Tavares but at 12 million I would say no. I don't think he would be the difference maker for a cup.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #5599
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
For me it is a big no. It is not that he is not an elite first line C but you sign Tavares to a long term 12M/yr deal and all of the sudden there is nothing to go to Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland, and re-signing Backlund.
Have you seen his effect on his linemates? He's played with trash his entire career, the likes of Josh Bailey and Anders Lee. But Josh Bailey and Anders Lee are playing at point-per-game pace this year? Yeah, because of Tavares. Both those guys have played with Neilson as their center in recent seasons. Bailey was unable to get to 40 points, he's on pace for 97 with Tavares as his center. Lee scored 15 goals when Neilson was his center. He's on pace for 49 this year.

That same season that Neilson centered Lee and Bailey, Tavares was centering Nelson and Okposo. Okposo put up a 67 point pace, today he is on pace for 47. Nelson put up 26 goals, today he's on pace for 17. In fairness to Nelson he had a decent year last year away from Tavares, but really pretty much any career or anomaly year an Islander has had in the last 10 years, there's a good chance Tavares was their center.

By the time Brodie and Hamilton are up, you have Brouwer, Frolik, Stone and, potentially, Hamonic off the books. You aren't losing them because Tavares signed.

Yeah, Backlund's days are numbered with Tavares. But Tavares-Monahan-Jankowski is far far far greater center depth. And, while I doubt it because of the cap inflation, the loss of Stajan, if Tavares did cause the Flames to lose out on someone like Bennett, I'd be fine with that. Just sign you to a league minimum contract and playing next to Tavares you'll score more goals than Bennett's career high.

It's a pipe dream but the team is instantly better with Tavares on the team regardless of cap constraints or losses without a doubt.

Tkachuk (5M) - Tavares (12M) - Bennett (4M)
Gaudreau (6.8M) - Monahan (6.4M) - Ferland (4M)
Mangiapane/Hathaway (1M) - Jankowski (3M) - Frolik (4.5M)
Brouwer (4.5M)-1-1

6.75-5.75
4.65-3.8
Stone (3.5)-0.8

That's 80M when the cap will be 80M+. You just need to make room for the goalies by moving the likes of Frolik or Stone, buying out Brouwer, or potentially looking at Ferland/Bennet walk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #5600
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

If they’d retain 3-4 mil off every year of Dion’s contract I’d like it, but we’d also need to give them someone like Stone. I’m a big fan of Dion’s mainly because he was my favorite player when I was a young kid, but his contract is not something I’d like to see on this team.
Closed Thread