Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #5421
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

With Ferland heating up (or showing consistency) I'm betting we hear less and less of any Kane to Calgary talk.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #5422
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any chance Backlund hasn’t been signed yet because Treliving is keeping his eyes on on the Tavares situation?

I haven’t been following it closely at all so I have no idea what’s going on, but if we were able to add him this summer you have to think we would transition from “walking” to “sprinting”.

Is it in any way feasible with say a 10.5-11 million dollar cap hit for Tavares?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #5423
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Any chance Backlund hasn’t been signed yet because Treliving is keeping his eyes on on the Tavares situation?

I haven’t been following it closely at all so I have no idea what’s going on, but if we were able to add him this summer you have to think we would transition from “walking” to “sprinting”.

Is it in any way feasible with say a 10.5-11 million dollar cap hit for Tavares?
That's effectively planning to win the lottery.

You make the decision to move on or not from Backlund as a separate decision, but you can't let Tavares or any other free agent weigh in on that choice.

Remember when we traded Regehr + Kotalik + a 2nd to Buffalo for Byron + Butler so to have the cap space to pursue Brad Richards?

You just can't plan that way.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #5424
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Tavares is signed there is room for Backlund at a reasonable deal

Find someone to dump Brouwer on, pay whatever it takes
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #5425
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Even if Tavares is signed there is room for Backlund at a reasonable deal

Find someone to dump Brouwer on, pay whatever it takes
I doubt it. Tavares 9M per, Backlund 5.5M per, Tkachuk 6M, our cap will start to tighten up more and more.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #5426
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
McLean on Hockey Central was talking about the Senators and all that mess has become. He said he has heard that on the list of acceptable trade destinations for Karlsson is Las Vegas. Also mentioned both Florida teams, Detroit and Dallas are in the mix IF there is a deal to be made pre TD.
If Vegas can trade for Karlsson without disrupting what they've got going on then they become really scary.

The knock on Vegas is that they don't have the star to help them win in the playoffs. Karlsson would be huge in that context . Very interesting discussion, if you're GMGM do you go for it this year? I would be inclined to. Vegas looks absolutely for real.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #5427
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd bet many toonies on Calgary being on Tavares's list of "teams I dont want to play for" along with the usual:

Edmonton
Winnipeg
Arizona

There's a reason we rarely see any big named UFA's signing with Calgary. Most often its the Tax/Canadian market etc but I just don't see it happening. Pipe dream, if any team has a chance from Canada it will be Toronto, and then we can swoop in and grab Nylander or Marner for a fraction of the 10M+ price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #5428
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Without knowing what lead up to things, I will just say that when a team is losing as much as they are, pushing/shoving/yelling/fighting each other in practice just isnt that uncommon. Frustration leads to all sorts of that kind of stuff.
There's a reason why Kane is always at the centre of this stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #5429
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
If Vegas can trade for Karlsson without disrupting what they've got going on then they become really scary.

The knock on Vegas is that they don't have the star to help them win in the playoffs. Karlsson would be huge in that context . Very interesting discussion, if you're GMGM do you go for it this year? I would be inclined to. Vegas looks absolutely for real.
You would have to think Shea Theodore would be pretty attractive to Ottawa
Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #5430
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

You make the decision to move on or not from Backlund as a separate decision, but you can't let Tavares or any other free agent weigh in on that choice.

Remember when we traded Regehr + Kotalik + a 2nd to Buffalo for Byron + Butler so to have the cap space to pursue Brad Richards?

Yeah i don’t mean planning, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s on the back of Treliving’s mind. I’m sure there is some intel out there as to what’s going to happen and what Tavares is looking for. Might even be able to afford both.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #5431
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Perhaps the Flames are not resolving the Backlund situation until the deadline passes and they are certain Tavares will not be traded. Flames losing Backlundfor nothing would sting badly. The Islanders losing Tavares for nothing would be terrible.

If Tavares is traded as a rental I could see the Flames being involved. If the Islanders do not go full scale rebuild then maybe Backlund would be part of the return? Backlund and a top prospect or if the Flames can sign JT maybe Backlind and Dougie for Tavares?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #5432
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Perhaps the Flames are not resolving the Backlund situation until the deadline passes and they are certain Tavares will not be traded. Flames losing Backlundfor nothing would sting badly. The Islanders losing Tavares for nothing would be terrible.

If Tavares is traded as a rental I could see the Flames being involved. If the Islanders do not go full scale rebuild then maybe Backlund would be part of the return? Backlund and a top prospect or if the Flames can sign JT maybe Backlind and Dougie for Tavares?
Hey, who knows...I guess crazier things have happened, but I think most reports are saying NYI is sticking with Tavares and taking the risk like Tampa did with Stamkos. Time will tell.

...regardless of what happens with Tavares though, I think the further we get on in the season without confirmed extension talks, the more likely we are to see Backlund traded prior to the deadline.

Backlund would be worth, at the minimum, a 1st + 2nd + 4th. Given how good he is, I could see that becoming a 1st + 2nd + 2nd - and hey, maybe that was Tree's plan all along. Move away from Backlund, acquire a lesser talent (Smith?) who could slot into that 3rd line role while moving Jankowski's line up.

Tree has been a pretty direct guy during his time in Calgary. He addresses needs in a very matter of fact way, and the lack of a Backlund extension at this stage speaks volumes (or at least I speculatively believe so).
Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #5433
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My view is that the intention all year has been that this team should be a playoff team in the wild west this year.

They'll try to sign him at the number that they are comfortable with, if not let the season playout, and if they have to let him walk, then they'll look at cheaper 3rd Center options via trade/FA, and expect that Jankowski is able to become a decent 2nd line C alternative by next year.

Unless the flames are clearly out of it by the deadline (which i don't see happening, as they'll be in the hunt till the end based on the inconsistent play of the other teams vying for a spot) i'd be absolutely shocked to see backlund traded.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #5434
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, who knows...I guess crazier things have happened, but I think most reports are saying NYI is sticking with Tavares and taking the risk like Tampa did with Stamkos. Time will tell.

...regardless of what happens with Tavares though, I think the further we get on in the season without confirmed extension talks, the more likely we are to see Backlund traded prior to the deadline.

Backlund would be worth, at the minimum, a 1st + 2nd + 4th. Given how good he is, I could see that becoming a 1st + 2nd + 2nd - and hey, maybe that was Tree's plan all along. Move away from Backlund, acquire a lesser talent (Smith?) who could slot into that 3rd line role while moving Jankowski's line up.

Tree has been a pretty direct guy during his time in Calgary. He addresses needs in a very matter of fact way, and the lack of a Backlund extension at this stage speaks volumes (or at least I speculatively believe so).
That's a lot for a rental. The Wild paid something like that for Hanzal but there was a little more to it and it sure didn't work out
Old 01-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #5435
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Duclair to the Hawks?

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
Hearing CHI/ARIZ working on an Anthony Duclair deal
Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #5436
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Duclair to the Hawks?

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
Hearing CHI/ARIZ working on an Anthony Duclair deal
I could see him doing well there
Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #5437
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman speculating that the Islanders might trade Brock Nelson for a defenceman because de Haan is done for the season, Boychuk is hurt, and the emergence of Barzal makes him expendable.

Any interest from Flames fans? Keep in mind that it came out that Snow isn't reportedly a big fan of Dougie when Hamonic's first trade request became public. Nelson has a cap hit of $2.5 million and RFA after this season, but is one year away from UFA.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-10-2018 at 05:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #5438
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he 2nd/3rd line C material?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #5439
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would do Stone or Kulak for Nelson but thats all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #5440
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Is he 2nd/3rd line C material?
Shows as LW/C avgs. 40-45 points the last 3 seasons. Off that pace this year.
Closed Thread