Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #181
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Enoch agree with everything you say here about the game. Johnny was on another level, and Bennett was awesome. I’ve been pretty critical of Bennett’s IQ and would be happy to eat crow if he really solidifies himself in the top six.

With the exception of your take on Cassie. And I have not been in any way vocal about her, I’ve been kind of half paying attention to the vocal critics. I thought she was pretty bad last night, but she completely lost me a few weeks ago, when she was going on and on about how Tkachuk is always so eager to be the first one over the boards to serve penalties, because he likes the potential for breakaways coming out of the box. Like giving him props for paying attention and jumping over and racing to the box.

Anyone who’s played hockey knows that that is a coaching decision. I know it’s just one thing, but it just made me realize that she really doesn’t know what she’s talking about.
It is too bad she wasn’t a past hockey player then...ohh wait
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #182
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure how Smith could have come out and challenged the shooter. The puck was behind the net and he was hugging the post. Then the puck got passed out to the slot for a one timer. There literally wasn’t time to challenge anyone. Now he probably should have made the save since there was no one screening it but I don’t think it was a bad goal. If Rittich had let it in no one would have said anything.

Last edited by Kasi; 12-01-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #183
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
It is too bad she wasn’t a past hockey player then...ohh wait

I know. That’s why I don’t think she’s any good. She doesn’t translate her experience well.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #184
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Not sure how Smith could have come out and challenged the shooter. The puck was behind the net and he was hugging the post. Then the puck got passed out to the slot for a one timer. There literally wasn’t time to challenge anyone. Now he probably should have made the save since there was no one screening it but I don’t think it was a bad goal. If Rittich had let it in no one would have said anything.
Yeah, here is how. With situational awareness, he sees the pass happening and pushes toward the shooter.

Goalies reposition with passes all the time
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #185
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes to the expansion draft, I'd trade our 1st in the year after the expansion draft + something in the lines of a guy like Eat Bread etc for them to take a specific player like Neal, Jankowski or Dube. Hurts the depth but doesn't hurt the high end talent pool.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #186
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Andersson, Gio, Valimaki and even Hamonic are no slouches. Other than Stone, who's injured, and maybe Prout, who barely plays, our D has to be one the most mobile in the league. I doubt there's an advanced stat for that, but who knows nowadays.
I don't think Andersson is a very good skater. But he really excels with his smarts, vision and crisp passing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #187
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I think Flames will have to make a deal with Seattle to keep both Kylington and Andersson with the Flames, so that you are able to go 7-3-1 and protect the maximum amount of players overall. Brodie and Hamonic are both UFAs that year.

Johnny, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski

Giordano, Hanifin, Andersson/Kylington

Big Save Dave
Thankfully the Flames will lose only one player. It sort of feels like with two of the same type of defensemen between Brodie/Kyllington that the loss of one will not hurt as badly. For that reason, I think I would leave both exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #188
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the 3 stars on NHL.com and Backs didnt even get a star. 3 Flames on there but stil c'mon.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #189
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Thankfully the Flames will lose only one player. It sort of feels like with two of the same type of defensemen between Brodie/Kyllington that the loss of one will not hurt as badly. For that reason, I think I would leave both exposed.
I know it is still a couple years away, but I would consider to maybe leaving Gio depending on how he is playing. I think at his age and salary you would have to consider leaving him exposed if it meant a decades worth of play from Valimaki or klyington.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #190
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't think Andersson is a very good skater. But he really excels with his smarts, vision and crisp passing.
IIRC the Flames scouts said he is very good at following the play up ice and contributing in the offensive zone rather than skating the puck up.

As you’ve noted his other skills allow him to be productive
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #191
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
IIRC the Flames scouts said he is very good at following the play up ice and contributing in the offensive zone rather than skating the puck up.

As you’ve noted his other skills allow him to be productive
I think his main problem right now is positioning, which will come with more ice time and more experience. In the past, I have never given much credence to 'experience in the NHL' because I guess I figured that a player was either good enough, or not. However, it's crucial, especially for d-men, to have time and experience in real games to learn to position themselves, and his progress has been remarkable.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #192
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderssons showed on multiple occasions he is a great skater. No, he's not on Hanifin or Kylingtons or Brodies level (who are top of the league level elite skaters) but he won more than a few races to pucks and can get back to break up some quality chances. Ive seen it with me own eyes. He's also broke into the offensive zone with a lot of speed pushing defenders back.

Thing that I find is an actual critique about Andersson is that he seems to leaves the boards at the blue line way ahead of schedule. It's a common occurance to see a pass back up the boards to the blue line and Anderssons in the middle of the ice.

I don't know why this happens so regularly.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #193
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
I think his main problem right now is positioning, which will come with more ice time and more experience. In the past, I have never given much credence to 'experience in the NHL' because I guess I figured that a player was either good enough, or not. However, it's crucial, especially for d-men, to have time and experience in real games to learn to position themselves, and his progress has been remarkable.
I think you totally nailed it. Andersson and Valimaki need that NHL experience and when they get that I believe they will start putting up numbers.

What’s great for them (Hanifin and Kylington too) is who they get to learn from while up on CGY.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post: