Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #801
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Kadri spurning the Flames.

Ferland signing with the Canucks.

ZERO improvements made to the roster that got dummied in the first round.

And to top it all off, handing the Oilers a player who easily slots into their top 6 in return for a $5.4 million goon who may or may not require protection in the expansion draft.

Yeah, this summer can **** right off any time now.
The same James Neal who was supposed to easily slot into our top 6? Because we all know how that turned out...
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #802
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Lucic is 31 years old. Who cares what he did 3 years ago? Lucic went from 23+27 to 10+24 to 6+14 ... not exactly a good trend.

and look at what the team around him did, and who he played with while he was there.

I get the natural assumption that all Oilers are no good, but Lucic is a Flame now and hell - James Neal was always an Oiler.

James Neal? 0 Stanley cups, will be 32 in September.

Milan Lucic? 1 Stanley Cup, just turned 31.

We lacked toughness, Lucic brings that in spades.

Despite who Lucic played with last year, he was still better than a much better situated James Neal.

Yeah, Neal will score more goals this coming season than he did last season thanks to being gifted prime icetime with McDavid/Nuge - but Lucic will actually contribute to our team in a way Neal failed to. Neal was the worst forward on our team last season, and it wasn’t even close.

The Flames got better today.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #803
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Sometimes I like trades like this, just for the entertainment factor of watching a bunch people see something they don’t like and follow each other straight off a cliff trying to rectify the situation.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #804
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, and just because a plug of a player like Neal slots easily into Edmonton's top six doesn't mean much. Any actual NHL player, and most AHL players, would easily slot into Edmonton's top six. That's more of a condemnation of the Oilers than anything to do with Neal.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #805
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lucic is 31 years old. Who cares what he did 3 years ago? Lucic went from 23+27 to 10+24 to 6+14 ... not exactly a good trend. There's a chance Neal can ride shotgun in Edmonton, personally I think he's smart enough to do that. Lucic has already shown that he can't do that anymore.
Did you even read my post or what I quoted? Or have any idea what I was referring to?

I only said that if Lucic is done.. then so is Eriksson and backed it up with stats comparing the two.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #806
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Should have just bought out Neal and signed Ferland with the cap space created

Same cap hit the next 4 seasons essentially

Treliving really dropped the ball here by missing out on Ferland. Lucic was better than Neal last year but ideally neither is in your lineup.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #807
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let Neal play on the top line with McDavid, score 20-20-40, look alright. Even let the Oiler fans laugh at us because Lucic is being outproduced. Then come trade deadline and the Oilers are well out of the playoffs, no one will take on Neal because his contract is still bad and has too much term.

Better than slotting in any random-AHL player, (see: Chiasson, Alex) letting him score 20-20-40 with McDavid, and then potentially trade him for some future assets.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #808
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The same James Neal who was supposed to easily slot into our top 6? Because we all know how that turned out...
He didn't fit with Gaudreau and Monahan, but he could click with McDavid. Who knows. What we do know is that Lucic sure as hell isn't playing with Gaudreau either and we bailed them out of a ****ty boat anchor for no reason.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #809
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The longer this goes, the more hope I'm having Treliving is pulling off some wizardry flipping Lucic.
That's what I am thinking. We have way too many LWers. Have lots of faith in the Wizard.

Trying to figure out how the 600K salary Edm retains works with his annual salary.

The retained salary does stay with player for a second trade.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #810
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

After all the crap that I talked about Lucic to my Oiler fan buddies I don't even know how I can look them in the eye. There is no way I can defend this to them! My boss is the biggest Oiler fan I've ever known and I have bugged him incessantly about Lucic....Good Lord.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #811
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone
I get the natural assumption that all Oilers are no good
in all honesty, that's not even a big factor to me. I'd happily take a flyer on someone like Puljujarvi because I still see some upside there. But Lucic, there's been a clear trend. He's always been a physical player, so naturally there's some breakdown in his 30s ... and he can't skate at all. I see no upside here. People will say "truculence" and stuff like that, but #### truculence. If you can't skate in this league, you can be physical all you want.

I'd love to eat crow here. I hope Lucic is a success, I just don't see it. I admire all Flames fans who manage to sugarcoat this one, but personally this is one of the worst Flames deals I can think of. We've traded a big problem for an even bigger one, I fail to see why I should be happy about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Did you even read my post or what I quoted? Or have any idea what I was referring to?
yes, I did. But I still don't get why anyone would pull up stats from 3 years ago to prove a point, sorry.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #812
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just put us out of our misery already.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #813
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
After all the crap that I talked about Lucic to my Oiler fan buddies I don't even know how I can look them in the eye. There is no way I can defend this to them! My boss is the biggest Oiler fan I've ever known and I have bugged him incessantly about Lucic....Good Lord.
How did they feel about Neal?
Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #814
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Just wait.
I can’t wait. Loved Lucic when he was on Boston. Not even close to he same player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Can’t wait to see Lucic as a Flame!
Me either!!
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #815
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how Lucic improves our bottom 6 over Hathaway, who was playing very well there last season. That's a downgrade. Don't care how big and tough Lucic is.
Maybe its positive we get rid of Neal, but we pretty much almost keep his salary, and eliminate the chance that he might have a bounce back season. The chances of Lucic having any kind of bounce back is pretty much zero. I see this trade as a net negative for the Flames. Don't see how it helps.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #816
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Expansion draft is the biggest issue for me.

If this trade doesn’t have something else to it, it could very well turn into Neal + ?Janko for Lucic

Last edited by PugnaciousIntern; 07-19-2019 at 05:20 PM.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #817
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
How did they feel about Neal?

I don't recall taking much ribbin' about him. I've expressed disappointment in his play since he came to Calgary and mostly they've just said that they were surprised he sucked that much too.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #818
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
in all honesty, that's not even a big factor to me. I'd happily take a flyer on someone like Puljujarvi because I still see some upside there. But Lucic, there's been a clear trend. He's always been a physical player, so naturally there's some breakdown in his 30s ... and he can't skate at all. I see no upside here. People will say "truculence" and stuff like that, but #### truculence. If you can't skate in this league, you can be physical all you want.

I'd love to eat crow here. I hope Lucic is a success, I just don't see it. I admire all Flames fans who manage to sugarcoat this one, but personally this is one of the worst Flames deals I can think of. We've traded a big problem for an even bigger one, I fail to see why I should be happy about this.

yes, I did. But I still don't get why anyone would pull up stats from 3 years ago to prove a point, sorry.
Lucic isn't a bigger problem than Neal. Did you watch Neal last year? Definition of a unskilled slug who literally does nothing. Lucic will at least fight and hit. They are both equally ineffective hockey players but at least lucic adds some sandpaper to the lineup.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #819
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The salary is fine, whatever. They weren't getting out from underneath Neal completely.

I'm just going to have a really hard time cheering for friggin' Lucic.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #820
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Should have just bought out Neal and signed Ferland with the cap space created

Same cap hit the next 4 seasons essentially

Treliving really dropped the ball here by missing out on Ferland. Lucic was better than Neal last year but ideally neither is in your lineup.

You are assuming that the Flames ownership group was willing to write that cheque, and it’s likely they weren’t.

How can you blame Treliving for not pursuing a course of action likely not available to him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote