Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #61
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My best guess is something along the lines of Matthew de grood. Schizophrenic that thought he was the hero killing monsters under delusion or something crazy like that.

That’s just a complete guess based on almost nothing. But would maybe be plausible for someone with the hero complex killing a bunch of people.

I think it was a little too planned out for that scenario. He seemed to have some motives too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #62
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Yeah, this guy had malicious intent. I can't speak for his thought process, I can't speak to what his goal was, but none of this screams "Guy was just insane and trying to do right."

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #63
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
My best guess is something along the lines of Matthew de grood. Schizophrenic that thought he was the hero killing monsters under delusion or something crazy like that.

That’s just a complete guess based on almost nothing. But would maybe be plausible for someone with the hero complex killing a bunch of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or, sometimes, a murdering ####### is just a murdering #######.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #64
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing released so far points in that direction at all. Did you follow the Matthew de Grood case? A Paranoid Schizophrenic break can absolutely have some planning, but it is more along the lines of insane planning (aka everyone's vampires I need to get weapons and start killing them).

This guy planned out a revenge killing against his ex-wife and had so much ready to go that would be absent in a psychotic break.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #65
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudos to Trudeau during his daily update asking the media to refrain from naming the shooter and to instead focus on the victims. Don't need that POS getting a platform to stand on and give others like him ideas.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #66
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
[...]
Damn, that is heartbreaking.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #67
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

God this is horrifying. It's cold comfort to know that stuff like this is insanely rare because this is just too damn shocking. All those joke memes about how 2020 couldn't get any worse, well here we go. Evil.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #68
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
All those joke memes about how 2020 couldn't get any worse, well here we go. Evil.
Right??? Just thinking that myself.

2020 has just been an absolute piece of crap year, right from Jan 1.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #69
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Nothing released so far points in that direction at all. Did you follow the Matthew de Grood case? A Paranoid Schizophrenic break can absolutely have some planning, but it is more along the lines of insane planning (aka everyone's vampires I need to get weapons and start killing them).

This guy planned out a revenge killing against his ex-wife and had so much ready to go that would be absent in a psychotic break.
I mean, its not a one size glove fits all type of thing.

My mother is a schizophrenic and will go through long periods of time where she believes I and other close people in her life are "reincarnated versions from hell" or "trying to rape her".

It may at first appear to be a malicious revenge kill to kick things off, but the mere fact that the ex-wife was likely the most important person in this person's life makes them the most likely target to be dreamed up into a distorted version of themselves.

My mother may not be a danger, but if she did have that in her, I would imagine I, and other family members would be first on her list due to familiarity and being top of mind. If she things I am a reincarnated version trying to rape or murder her, it would make sense to come after me first, as opposed to a random off the street that she has no ability to distort or connect to reality. She might even think she may be able to bring me back to life by killing the distorted version of me. I've literally heard her say things no less bizarre than that in person to me, when she thought she was speaking to the undead version of myself.

Anyways, dont jump on me here. None of us know for sure whats going on here, its speculation. Im just saying, the guy seemed to have a history of loving and displaying police officers, and I think its possible that this has as much chance as schiozphrenia person busting out during a weird time, than it is a 25 year fantasy being built up.

I don't know, it could be either scenario. Or it could be neither.

I made the De Grodd comparison because there were some vague similarities. He did bring a weapon with him, and believed his friends were wearwolves, and had been acting weird for a few days prior. It wasnt completely spur of the moment... there were fractions of planning ahead of time... but it was in a really f'd up distorted reality.

Maybe this guy was an absolute slime ball. I really dont know. But in many cases it is a fine line. And my guess will remain as I initially advertised "a guess based on almost nothing". But, this stuff does have a soft spot for me because I don't think people have a full comprehension of a what is going on in a schizophrenic's brain, and what people like to directly attribute to evil, in a lot of cases is closer to people not understanding what an unhealthy brain looks like before its too late. I just ask people not to jump to conclusions before attributing someone as evil... hopefully more information will come out.

I wont speculate any further.

Last edited by Matt Reeeeead; 04-20-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #70
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets be honest, as best we know this guy was a denturist who wasn't out of the ordinary at all other than being a bit weird about his girlfriend according to the neighbours, I have foster kids at times with depression, delusional episodes and the like and if one of them went off everyone would say 'that's terrible, but there were signs', if you met one of my guys you might not know what was wrong but you would know something was off, this guy was just a prick.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #71
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

https://www.facebook.com/50200657032...8568703292033/

From one end of the province to the other, the sky was lit up tonight with one of the most incredible sunsets you will ever see. Hope that link works... over a thousand photos in the comments and counting. This has been a really hard day. This helps.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Save Us Sutter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 12:31 AM   #72
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just so very sad. Has to be one if the saddest days in the history of Canada.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:16 AM   #73
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
This is just so very sad. Has to be one if the saddest days in the history of Canada.
It sure is sad. This shooting/mass murder has surpassed the 1989 Ecole Polytechnique massacre where 15 people died.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #74
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 04-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #75
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Nova Scotia Active Shooter Dead

Death toll at 22 now, I hope that is all. Absolutely devastating.

Edit, it’s 22 victims, my mistake.

Last edited by bigtmac19; 04-21-2020 at 04:34 PM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #76
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

His uniform was indeed authentic. Will be interesting to see how he got it.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #77
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is unbelievable and saddening...

I'm surprised at how tiny the thread is.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #78
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He was apparently the author of this piece. Seems like that should have set off a few alarm bells. Seriously, who locks a police car in a primarily empty parking lot and acts like this?

http://www.frankmagazine.org/post/car-54-where-are-you
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #79
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Death toll at 22 now, I hope that is all. Absolutely devastating.

Edit, it’s 22 victims, my mistake.
The body count has unfortunately increased to 23.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...id=mailsignout

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #80
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
He was apparently the author of this piece. Seems like that should have set off a few alarm bells. Seriously, who locks a police car in a primarily empty parking lot and acts like this?

http://www.frankmagazine.org/post/car-54-where-are-you

Wow.

Well I'm guessing the fine folks at the Nova Scotia BAU (or whatever they call it there) won't have any trouble putting two and two together after reading that.