Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Buying a SUV - Traverse/Acadia/Edge

My wife wants a SUV, currently driving a Mazda 3 and it is becoming less feasible the bigger our kid gets, especially when number two arrives.

I've been doing a fair amount of research and I think I've nailed it down to either a Traverse, Acadia or Edge. My understanding is the Traverse/Acadia use the same engine and are very similar vehicles, difference being in appearance/interior lay out. So it seems more like a GM vs Edge debate.

Just curious if anyone has either of the vehicles and can speak to which one they like as a family unit. I don't want to go bigger or smaller than this size.

We were originally looking to buy new but with the way the dollar is right now it seems to make a lot more sense to buy something a year old that comes back from the rental fleets with 20-30k on it for 12-15k less than new.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We just traded in our 2011 GMC Acadia. Biggest reasons were just the age where it would start to need major repairs, and fuel economy. We have our trailer at a permanent site so we didn't need the towing capacity any more.

One of the issues with ours was the blind spots created by the front pillars. Had a couple of near misses with pedestrians.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got an Edge Sport and really enjoy it. Haven't had a single issue in 50k km so far. Never driven the GM's so can't compare to them.

I wouldn't want to pick up an old rental though.. just seems asking for trouble.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of those, you best bet is probably the Edge. Realistically though, if you buy a used Acura or Lexus you're probably going to be ahead on both enjoyment and comfort and pay less anyway.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are interested in a Traverse/Acadia why not consider an Explorer or Flex instead of Edge? I love the Flex. It has a huge second row and a useable third row for occasional use. With the third row down it has loads of cargo space. It drives great as well and is really comfortable.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flex might be the ugliest car out there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Who buys an SUV to look cool, though? If it's practical and underpriced, I'd buy it over an edge with the same equipment.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a reason why your choice is between American brands? Simple preference?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I like the unique boxier look of the Flex over all the generic blobs that are currently on the market.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I remember Sliver ranting about the Acadia/Enclave after he rented it one time. He hated it. That's all I can offer on the GMs.

As for a personal anecdote, we've finally gone back to domestic (my wife anyway) and bought a Ford Explorer last year. Based on our experience with Ford, I'd say you'd probably enjoy the Edge.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a 2014 Acadia. Presently, 135,000 kms on it with no issues so far outside of routine maintenance.. Bought it because of the third row with useable cargo space behind it. In 2018, they shortened it so I wouldn't think the cargo space behind the third row would be useable anymore.
As far as vision, my wife is a petite woman and she has not complained about the visibility at all.
It's maintenance schedule is a breeze.
Has been a good vehicle for me, no complaints.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #12
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
If you are interested in a Traverse/Acadia why not consider an Explorer or Flex instead of Edge? I love the Flex. It has a huge second row and a useable third row for occasional use. With the third row down it has loads of cargo space. It drives great as well and is really comfortable.
This spring I was in exact same boat as you. Toddler getting bigger, second on the way, Mazda 3 that just wasn't cutting it anymore. Anyhow, I elected to get a Ford Explorer. Managed to get a 2014 version in great shape with the sport trim with only 33,000 km on it. So far we have been pleased with it and have taken it on one family trip to the Okanogan.

The Edge looks like a good choice to me as it shares a lot of the features of the Explorer while being a little bit smaller (depends on the tradeoff between having 7 seats/more storage space and handling ability and ease of parking as the Explorer is a wide vehicle) and better on gas than the Explorer.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 07-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

similar to a psoter above, i have not driven a GM product, so my opinion is that of a
ford guy.

my wifes daily driver is a 2008 ford edge. i like it. it has the glass roof and feels really "airy and open". it has a decent amount of leg room in the back seat.

my previous daily driver (which is am now in the process of trying to sell - shameless plug) was a 2009 explorer (surprisingly, the vehicle we had prior to this was a 1996 xplorer). i liked it, it had a couple of blind spots. had a pretty powerful v8 with 3 valves/cyl and third row seating was handy at times.

my currently daily driver is a 2015 explorer. it feels much lower to the ground than my 2009 - feels more like the edge. has some blind spots, but technology helps out a little bit. have only had this rig for two weeks now and still getting used to it. the eco-tech v6 seems to have decent power - but i think it gets similar mileage to my 2009.

my pick (not surprisingly) would be the edge
Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Is there a reason why your choice is between American brands? Simple preference?
Outside of luxury brands it's hard to find foreign makers with a premium engine in the compact to mid-size SUV category. Ford offers a twin turbo echotech V6 in the Edge and GM has a V6 turbo engine available in the Acadia and Traverse as well.

For example the Mazda CX-9 GT trim which is a seven seater doesn't even have a V6 in it. While this is a fine vehicle in every other way with great handling, great interior etc. I felt it was underpowered going up hills and for highway mountain driving.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a 2016 V6 Kia Sorento for almost 3 years now, and have been very happy with it. Seemed like it was a couple thousand cheaper for the level of trim when compared to most competitors.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #16
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Outside of luxury brands it's hard to find foreign makers with a premium engine in the compact to mid-size SUV category. Ford offers a twin turbo echotech V6 in the Edge and GM has a V6 turbo engine available in the Acadia and Traverse as well.
Yep and it sucks. Two generations ago the RAV4 had the V6 option that vehicle is silly fast. Now all you can get is the somewhat wheezy 4-cylinder, the hybrid is a bit better.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a 2011 Acadia that is coming up on 200 000km. It's been pretty dependable and the size was right for us as the kids went through their teens. Now we find it a little on the large side and next vehicle will be smaller.

Size: Interior room means good hauling capacity and the extra seats were good when grandparents were in town or we were hauling friends around.

It's been pretty dependable mechanically, I can't complain.

Dislikes:
Fuel mileage has been lower/worse than I anticipated.
Whomever designed the headlights should be drawn and quartered. Changing them is a nightmare.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both the Acadia and Traverse have just been refreshed and made slightly smaller. I had the previous gen traverse and it was a good vehicle just a little bit too big and fuel mileage wasn't great.

The slightly smaller Journey and Highlander make a big difference in feel. I suspect the new Acadia and Traverse fall into this sweet spot of not feeling too big when coming from a car.

That said, if you are buying a vehicle as big as a traverse or an Acadia but not a truck you really should get a Minivan, more specifically a 2-3 year old dodge Caravan. They are ugly but offer the best value on the market as they are almost free when 2-3 years old.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Thanks everyone for the input. We rented an Acadia in the spring to head out to BC, spent 10 days driving around Alberta/BC/Sask in it, I really liked it. It was a 2017. I've heard that if you like the Acadia, you will like the Edge more.

I drive an Explorer for work so I know they are a good vehicle, especially in crappy conditions. It was explained to me that the Explorer is more of your sport utility vehicle where as the Edge is a station wagon with all wheel drive. I've got a 4x4 truck so if I am taking something out of town in dicey weather, or hauling, I use that.

I've got nothing against any other brands, these are just the vehicle companys that I had heard good things about from friends so they are the ones I narrowed the search down to. They also seem to be very economical choices.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I've had a 2016 V6 Kia Sorento for almost 3 years now, and have been very happy with it. Seemed like it was a couple thousand cheaper for the level of trim when compared to most competitors.
We rented a Sorento in Tucson this year - very solid, roomy, comfortable. The Highlander has a V6 and its value better than any of the other options. Had good pep, super roomy and very reasonably priced. I would rank them:

1) Highlander
2) Sorento
3) NA stuff

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote