Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #3581
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westbound Glenmore is now on the new lanes going under the Discovery/69 St bridge. It's flag people operating the intersections so... good luck. There's still a chance that fully opens by Oct 1, but again it's not a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There's been traffic jams on Stoney between 17ave SE and 16th Ave NE every single day since it opened because it narrows to two lanes.

Why go through all the trouble of building a freeway, then engineer a bottleneck so you can expand it in the future.
That's not true. The NE opened in 2009 and it was smooth sailing. As Mazrim said, it didn't become a problem until Nov 2013 when the SE opened, and even then it wasn't a big problem till maybe 2015ish. It's ready for widening, and the 17 Ave SE to TCH section will be first which alone will mostly fix it.

It's not an "engineered bottleneck", both the NE and SE are designed to the same ultimate standard. It's a combination of their traffic predictions being off and the funding available at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That looks and sounds like a terrible solution. Slow right down as they try to cross over which should blend well with the others doing 80-100.
Crisis averted, they poured a full height concrete barrier there today for the entire length of the conflict zone. That's maybe more than they even needed there, but that's the end of that discussion. If anybody ever goes through there and has a look, it's readily apparent why I was worried about potential mayhem without the barrier there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
anyone know if the 6th street and James Mckevitt overpasses opened today?
No. Maybe tomorrow... it looks pretty close. NB Macleod is on its new lanes, but nothing else down there has opened on the day they say it would this week. The new SB-EB loop ramp at Macleod/22X was supposed to be yesterday, but it's not even paved so it won't be tomorrow either. The WB-SB flyover could maybe be late tomorrow, but probably left lane only they have to send sweepers over the whole thing and paint lines.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #3582
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

drove it tonight. 6th street and James Mckevitt are both open now and its awesome
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #3583
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
its awesome
Unless you want to access 22X from 6 Street.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #3584
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Unless you want to access 22X from 6 Street.
I don't so I'm happy. Can't you access west 22x from the overpass? looks like a left hand turn light there
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #3585
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't so I'm happy. Can't you access west 22x from the overpass? looks like a left hand turn light there
There is a ramp yes, but it's not open yet.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #3586
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So apparently you can't access Stoney eastbound from Sheriff King anymore? Who the heck thought that was a good idea?
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #3587
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

heard that they intend to have the discovery blvd/69th st overpass open by early Oct, along with the rest of the SW section.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #3588
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
So apparently you can't access Stoney eastbound from Sheriff King anymore? Who the heck thought that was a good idea?
Guessing it is too close to Mcleod Trail exits to meet Alberta Transportation's minimum spacing requirements between exits/entrances. (??)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #3589
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Guessing it is too close to Mcleod Trail exits to meet Alberta Transportation's minimum spacing requirements between exits/entrances. (??)
Ah that would make sense. Annoying though. I guess I can just take the Spruce Meadows/McKevitt exit instead.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #3590
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^That's what I heard as well - 6th st interchange is too close to the Macleod Trail one so no eastbound 22x access from northbound 6th st
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #3591
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
heard that they intend to have the discovery blvd/69th st overpass open by early Oct, along with the rest of the SW section.
Yes, it is supposed to be done.

For everyone's info, here's a PDF from the project website showing what's supposed to be open on Oct 1: link
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #3592
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were signs up on the weekend in Shawnessy saying that traffic would change on Sept. 11th but the change still has not happened. You can still exit the shopping center to the south and it meets with the Macloed exit to 22x. There still seemed to be some paving work required on the Macloed southbound to 22x E/W before that can all be opened.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #3593
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
There were signs up on the weekend in Shawnessy saying that traffic would change on Sept. 11th but the change still has not happened. You can still exit the shopping center to the south and it meets with the Macloed exit to 22x. There still seemed to be some paving work required on the Macloed southbound to 22x E/W before that can all be opened.
Yeah I live near the Macleod/22X interchange and they still have a lot of work...was expecting those new routes to be open last week but they don't look close yet.
Lil Pedro is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #3594
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guessing it is too close to Macleod Trail exits to meet Alberta Transportation's minimum spacing requirements between exits/entrances. (??)
Yeah there's just no room for everything down there with all those accesses so close together. It would require a redesign of everything all the way to west to 24 Street.

If it's something like Crowchild with a limit of 80 kph you can bunch up interchanges and ramps like the city did in the NW and it works out, but Stoney is at a design speed of 110 kph. The new highway design standards for that speed have weave distance limits and on-ramp and off-ramp length requirements to prevent a Deerfoot repeat, which limits accesses to communities even when it looks like on a map that something should work.

Even with the ramps 2 miles long there's still people merging onto Stoney going 80.

I've just quickly drawn something that would work but my god this is expensive for such little gain.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #3595
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

First time driving over the new James McKevitt overpass... only took 35 mins to get out of Bridlewood and onto 22x at 3:30, which is something that normally has taken me 5 mins. Hopefully this traffic gets better!
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #3596
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all said and done, access to/from 22X to McKevitt might be a bit slower vs the time it took before the project started, but that is negated by not ever having to stop at 6 St or Macleod anymore.

Only people who used 6 St/Sheriff to access 22X to/from the east will have tangibly longer drives.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #3597
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard on the radio there is more work planned on the SE leg of the ring road near the bow river? Are they making the East Bound bridge on Stoney by McKenzie Golf Course 3 lanes? I may be wrong
Old 09-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #3598
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
I heard on the radio there is more work planned on the SE leg of the ring road near the bow river? Are they making the East Bound bridge on Stoney by McKenzie Golf Course 3 lanes? I may be wrong
Correct. Announced this morning. Original bridge was built in 1974 to carry 22X, now obviously carries only eastbound. The 3-lane westbound bridge was built in 2007 to twin 22X; it will be widened - not sure the extent of that project. This project is being marketed by the province as an economy spur, like the recently announced Highway 11 twinning.

Not sure what the sequence of events will be in terms of what will be done on which bridge at which stage, but I can guarantee an absolute traffic nightmare for the duration of the project. Stoney carries about 50k vehicles per day over the river on that segment.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/province-...iver-1.5110693

Last edited by Acey; 09-18-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #3599
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh wow I didn't know that they would be completely replacing that 1974 bridge....you're right that is going to be a traffic nightmare
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #3600
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Pardon my ignorance, is that a big massive pinch point causing traffic backups? Why this project over the anderson/glenmore deerfoot improvements that are constantly in the works it seems?