Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-14-2022, 09:08 PM   #41
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Okay from what I'm reading there, the CRTC is using anti-botnet (and that is vague - I can see it being extended to any undesirable networks) legislation to justify network level blocks. From you said, then I gather it is perhaps going to be used in the favor of the NHL rights holders to also limit net neutrality and enforce blocks on providers of streams.

From the public document, it only mentions blocking DNS resolution and known IP address lists but as the Pirate Bay showed, they could easily proxy and hide behind ever-changing IPs on the darkweb.

Against certain actors, dynamic IP based blacklists are not that effective, maybe you are hinting towards the fact that they would be pushing toward deep packet inspection of all traffic to identify undesirable activity? That sounds super big-brother to me.
As mentioned earlier, it's common in the UK. And with the MLB (NFL, in due) version, Iranian too of course, I can see noise being made about this. Especially with the FCC being much more telecom friendly, than the CRTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Only way to do this is decrypt tls traffic which would require MiM, necessitating all traffic go through govt routers.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Thanks. I had never heard of that site before. No idea how it’s common knowledge either
It has home and away feeds of every NHL game with incredible reliability and quality...its basically what people wish they could pay for lol

That is why its so well known
Old 06-15-2022, 12:49 PM   #43
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Only way to do this is decrypt tls traffic which would require MiM, necessitating all traffic go through govt routers.
ISPs can do this directly. They already pass all the traffic. No need for gov't routers at all.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #44
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious why you think TLS decryption is required for this.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #45
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

For DNS, there's nothing they really need to do.

If you want to know exactly what's in the packets like what Hack&Lube says, yes you have decrypt them. I suppose the gov't could force ISPs to inject the cert or have their own routers, but everybody in Canada would also have to install the cert as well.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #46
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, sorry the chain of the conversation was a bit disjointed so it looked as though you were saying that the dynamic blocking required TLS decryption, it wasn't immediately obvious that you were referring to Hack&Lube.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #47
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So I generally use the CBC Sports app to watch the games, but I checked, and mario worked just fine on my ISP.

What did everyone else see?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #48
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So I generally use the CBC Sports app to watch the games, but I checked, and mario worked just fine on my ISP.

What did everyone else see?
This time. The reality may be that they're waiting until the regular season as CBC (eg) streams the Playoffs generally for free anyway. It's a crappy feed and production, but you can watch. The regular season, when it begins, will be different as it's back to blackouts and money control.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #49
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Eh? The dynamic blocking court order sunsets after the 2021-2022 season and playoffs.

21. This Order shall terminate at the end of the last NHL Live Game Windows of the 2021- 2022 NHL season (i.e., the final of the Stanley Cup), unless the Court orders otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2022, 11:31 AM   #50
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yeah, my understanding was that they wanted to implement it during the Finals.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #51
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I logged into SN Now for the first time earlier this week since I have access as an NHL Live subscriber and watched the Jays game. I had no issues with the quality and thought it was great. Are the quality issues that people are reporting purely for NHL games?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:00 PM   #52
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I logged into SN Now for the first time earlier this week since I have access as an NHL Live subscriber and watched the Jays game. I had no issues with the quality and thought it was great. Are the quality issues that people are reporting purely for NHL games?
You probably won't notice the 30fps limit on a baseball game, but it's very apparent in hockey
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:25 AM   #53
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
me and my father in law cant both use the stream at the same time in my house without one of us getting logged out after a while. such bull####.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #54
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
me and my father in law cant both use the stream at the same time in my house without one of us getting logged out after a while. such bull####.
This is interesting. My dad and I would be streaming at the same time but from different homes. Is this supported and allowed with SN Now?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #55
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^Eh? The dynamic blocking court order sunsets after the 2021-2022 season and playoffs.

21. This Order shall terminate at the end of the last NHL Live Game Windows of the 2021- 2022 NHL season (i.e., the final of the Stanley Cup), unless the Court orders otherwise.
Yup - they got it through too late to bother...but they'll be able to get it re-upped with ease I'd think.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #56
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
This is interesting. My dad and I would be streaming at the same time but from different homes. Is this supported and allowed with SN Now?
No. I have trouble watching on my PC and then switching over to my Shield or other device, not even simultaneously watching but closing one feed then starting up the other. Same with TSN, both seem to check if you are online with your account already and stop the stream if it looks like you are trying to watch twice on the same account. You have to use Chromecast to move the feed to another device or it will fail, usually after playing for a short time.

Having the technical savvy of cold poutine, both seem to use a database of open connections that can be 15-20 minutes out of date to determine if you have a stream running, rather than a more advanced method that checks if you are *currently* online and data is flowing to that endpoint.

Last edited by jammies; 06-20-2022 at 05:01 PM.
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote