Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #21
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The prequels, like Spider-Man 3, have retroactively become good movies just for the memes.
False. They were always good movies and I’ll die on that hill.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #22
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sure

anyway!
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:03 AM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like the episode I duel

I like parts of episode II, including Kamino, Jango Fett chase, and the Jedi pit. I didn't mind seeing Anakin's revenge on the sand people as you got to see the roots of his dark tendencies.

I liked roughly half of episode III, its a passable film overall even just for lore's sake and witnessing how the chess pieces were set up for the OT.

Overall not great. I wouldn't voluntarily sit down to watch those films over others, but if they were playing on TV I might get sucked in.

The prequel bad and sequel bad are two different kinds. Prequels had a worthwhile story to tell, though went about it in a round about way and left a lot of "fat" in the final cuts.

The sequels didn't know what story they wanted to tell. They appeared to exist more for selling merchandise than for advancing the story in any meaningful way that wasn't retroactively harmful. They literally had to make up a villain on a whim for episode IX because the director of the middle chapter doesn't understand how a trilogy works. Utter trainwreck that should be decanonized.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-10-2022 at 11:05 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 12:50 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We're going to get the extremely angry, powerful obsessed with killing Jedi Vader that we got in not only Rogue One, but we saw in Rebels.

Remember in Rebels

Vader was confronted by Ashoka and didn't stray off of his path and was more then happy with killing her.

He burned a whole village of refugees.

Happily beat the crap out of Ezra and Kanan.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the quality of this show is more Mandalorian than Boba Fett. I expect it will be with McGregor who is a few classes above the actors in those shows.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #26
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm jacked for this. It's gonna be movie quality for an 8 episode series. JACKED!

Bring on the Anakin flashbacks, the Vader stuff, all the speculation and needing out. This is a flagship series. You just don't get Ewan McGregor and all the OG cast back to make some sloppy doo doo butter series.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #27
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm jacked for this. It's gonna be movie quality for an 8 episode series. JACKED!
Unfortunately, it's only 6 episodes...
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #28
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like the episode I duel

I like parts of episode II, including Kamino, Jango Fett chase, and the Jedi pit. I didn't mind seeing Anakin's revenge on the sand people as you got to see the roots of his dark tendencies.

I liked roughly half of episode III, its a passable film overall even just for lore's sake and witnessing how the chess pieces were set up for the OT.

Overall not great. I wouldn't voluntarily sit down to watch those films over others, but if they were playing on TV I might get sucked in.

The prequel bad and sequel bad are two different kinds. Prequels had a worthwhile story to tell, though went about it in a round about way and left a lot of "fat" in the final cuts.

The sequels didn't know what story they wanted to tell. They appeared to exist more for selling merchandise than for advancing the story in any meaningful way that wasn't retroactively harmful. They literally had to make up a villain on a whim for episode IX because the director of the middle chapter doesn't understand how a trilogy works. Utter trainwreck that should be decanonized.
Personally I hated how they filled up a romantic comedy with all the "space stuff."
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #29
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Unfortunately, it's only 6 episodes...
Just tell me they're hour long episodes.

I want 6 full hours with these characters again.

Also I hope we don't get too much of this Rava/Reva character hunting Kenobi. We have no attachment to her whatsoever, and she doesn't need to be eating up more screen time than she's worth here.

It's time better spent delving into Vader's descent or Obi Wan's thought process and struggles. Those are the characters we care about here.

My hope is that they wanted to keep the major stuff under wraps so they made her extra prominent in this trailer and hid all Hayden content on purpose. Disney loves their big reveals after all.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-10-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Duel of the Fates hitting was awesome
It’s been burned into my brain all day.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Just tell me they're hour long episodes.

I want 6 full hours with these characters again.

Also I hope we don't get too much of this Rava/Reva character hunting Kenobi. We have no attachment to her whatsoever, and she doesn't need to be eating up more screen time than she's worth here.

It's time better spent delving into Vader's descent or Obi Wan's thought process and struggles. Those are the characters we care about here.

My hope is that they wanted to keep the major stuff under wraps so they made her extra prominent in this trailer and hid all Hayden content on purpose. Disney loves their big reveals after all.

I'm hoping at one point they do an actual Vader series, I think its safe to really fill in the gaps between the fall of the republic when we saw Vader finding Ashoka's lightsaber and the events of Rebels.

I want a series where Anakin in the Vader suit has still a bit of Anakin in him and lives his regrets and doubts and how Palpatine moves him past that to become truly a Sith and truly Vader.

I mean I know there are going to be flashbacks in this series, it makes sense as Kenobi is probably going to mourn that for a long time, and I hope for a dramatic appearance by Vader with the fact that Kenobi believes Vader is dead.

I like the idea of bringing in the Inquisitors including the Grand Inquisitor and the 5th brother and this new one and maybe the 7th Sister. Frankly because without them there's no real lightsaber action, and Vader would generally probably clean Kenobi's clock.

Plus the line "Last time I met you I was the student and you were the master" probably means that Vader and Kenobi don't clash sabers.

Maybe the season ends with Kenobi seeing Vader and hearing his name and he realizes that Anakin is alive and very much a threat to Luke so he commits to not leaving Tattooine on a fool hardy campaign, and that he can't save the remaining Jedi.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, kinda hoping they move on. This time period and characters are getting milked to the bone.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:22 PM   #33
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, kinda hoping they move on. This time period and characters are getting milked to the bone.
I'd generally agree, but you can just hook Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan into my veins. Keep it coming.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #34
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Yea, I'm getting a little tired of the Skywalker saga as well. Personally I'd love to see either a new series or movie trilogy that takes place a couple hundred years in the future with a completely new story, characters, planets, etc.. Something entirely different that has zero ties to the Skywalkers.

That being said, Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan was the only thing I liked about the prequels, and I'm looking forward to checking out this series just based on that alone.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:23 PM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From the Revenge of the Sith Novel, which had some great quotes that can help us understand Obi-Wan's suffering

Quote:
The man he faced was everything Obi-Wan had devoted his life to destroying. Murderer. Traitor. Fallen Jedi. Lord of the Sith. And here, now, despite it all… Obi-Wan still loved him.

Quote:
He had argued for Anakin, made excuses, covered for him again and again; all the while this attachment he denied even feeling had blinded him to the dark path his best friend walked.

Quote:
It’s as though Anakin has rubbed off on him a bit, has loosened that clenched jaw insistence on absolute correctness that Qui-Gon always said was his greatest flaw. Obi-Wan Kenobi has learned to relax.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:30 AM   #36
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The 20 year gap between PT and OT has had very little live action treatment, outside of Rogue and Solo, which are pretty self contained from larger events except for the third act of RO.

I don't mind this era being fleshed out some more if it's done well. It's a fascinating time with a lot going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 09:04 AM   #37
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Dave and Jon probably feel the need to salt in some Skywalker in their creations because of how stupid the sequels were.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I'm such a fan of the Inquisitors. Most of them were fallen Jedi. Some like the Seventh Sister were Jedi who survived order 66th and tortured and brain washed.

Some were Jedi like the Grand Inquisitor and the 5th Brother and others who had been disgruntled by the Jedi actions in the war and willing joined.

Their training was brutal, with most of them missing limbs thanks to Vader who wanted to teach them how to deal with loss. But they all became straight out killers.

I would love to learn more about them.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #39
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I think Dave and Jon probably feel the need to salt in some Skywalker in their creations because of how stupid the sequels were.
This series looks like its from the Kennedy/Sequels team and not the Dave and Jon team. I'm interested to see the differences and if they are going to take any beats from the Mandalorian considering it's success and Deberah Chow directing.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:07 PM   #40
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could be MacGregor on a blue screen saying “Hello there.” Over and over for 6 hours and I’d still be down.