Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #201
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The one thing I have noticed is that on SB Crowchild there is less of a jam getting onto EB Glenmore. I know there have been studies about how reducing the speed limit on freeways can make the flow better- could that be a part of the reason there is less of a jam now?
Could partially, at least, be due to a number of vehicles now using the ring road to head South versus 14th Street SW.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #202
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Could partially, at least, be due to a number of vehicles now using the ring road to head South versus 14th Street SW.
We'd also need to know to what degree volume is reduced due to hybrid work and maybe high fuel prices.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #203
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
An 11th Street SW underpass at the CP tracks could be vehicle free based on these proposals. I'm not necessarily sure this is a good idea.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/proposed-...-s-w-1.5953941
This is an unbelievably stupid proposal. In summary, the City is proposing spending in excess of $100 million to actually worsen the connectivity between the Beltline and downtown.

The existing grade level crossing is entirely functional and works fairly well for vehicles pedestrians and bikes.

The proposal envisions costly excavation in order to create a park that is permanently shaded, beneath a rail bridge, and based on the other rail underpasses is likely to be poorly maintained and a magnet for vagrants.

Nothing should be done in this location (other than widening the sidewalk and separating the bike lanes from traffic) unless CP decides to close the level crossing.

Last edited by Zarley; 06-20-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #204
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An 11th Street SW underpass at the CP tracks could be vehicle free based on these proposals. I'm not necessarily sure this is a good idea.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/proposed-...-s-w-1.5953941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It’s a terrible idea. Which is probably why the city will do it.
I'm pretty pro-bike and pro-pedestrian, but I think that the "all modes" alternate plan would be better. Sure, make the sidewalks wide, have a dedicated bike lane, etc. even if it is at the expense of a lane of traffic each way.

There are better places for a park and playground than a ditch under the train tracks. Use this space as a transportation link for everyone if you're going to go to the trouble of making an underpass.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #205
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am also pro-bike and pro-pedestrian, and I also remember quite well when I lived in the Beltline how important 11 St was for access when I was driving out of / back into my area. I would 100% be against a vehicle-free proposal for this specific underpass, it should be an all-modes plan. If that means single-file vehicle traffic each way with bike lanes and wider pedestrian sidewalks, fine. Just getting rid of the tracks is a boon.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #206
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It would reduce the number of places vehicles could shelter under during a hail storm, though.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #207
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get down to Crowchild/Glenmore very often but it looks like the city has finally gotten rid of the stupid 70 zone on northbound Crowchild coming off Glenmore. They covered up the 70 signs and there is no construction zone so I'm assuming it is 80 now.
FYI I drove through this yesterday, and signage was conflicting: on the right side the "Maximum 70" sign had been turned around, but on the left (median) side it was still facing traffic. I'm not sure that they have actually rid this stretch of road of the 70 km/h limit.

I can also confirm signage is still up for SB Crowchild south of 50th Ave...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #208
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

That god damn left turn red light at 16th Ave & 10th St NW. Whomever put that in place can forever have digestive distress. Took three full light cycles to get through this morning as only 4-5 cars can get through on the arrow. Meanwhile sitting there I counted enough time where 16 more cars could have gone while the east west lanes were completely void of traffic if we had a green. Nope, lets sit 20+ deep in the turn lane while the rest of the road is a ghost town.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #209
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah still having lights in COVID mode is stupid
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #210
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That god damn left turn red light at 16th Ave & 10th St NW. Whomever put that in place can forever have digestive distress. Took three full light cycles to get through this morning as only 4-5 cars can get through on the arrow. Meanwhile sitting there I counted enough time where 16 more cars could have gone while the east west lanes were completely void of traffic if we had a green. Nope, lets sit 20+ deep in the turn lane while the rest of the road is a ghost town.
They're slowly getting rid of all left hand turn on greens in the city.

Macleod and 42nd is now another one where we get the pleasure of sitting there for 2 minutes watching no one drive the other direction waiting for the arrow.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #211
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this was posted elsewhere but I feel it warranted a mention here since this is a Calgary Roads project and has pretty large implications.

Not sure how I feel about this. One one hand inflation has certainly eaten into the cost of this project. On the other hand not doing anything just shifts the extra costs onto everyone who uses Deerfoot in terms of added expense to their trips due to congestion. The longer this project is held back the more it costs everyone. This is the second large project in Calgary that has been delayed by the UCP now.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8984355/a...e-partnership/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #212
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I think this was posted elsewhere but I feel it warranted a mention here since this is a Calgary Roads project and has pretty large implications.

Not sure how I feel about this. One one hand inflation has certainly eaten into the cost of this project. On the other hand not doing anything just shifts the extra costs onto everyone who uses Deerfoot in terms of added expense to their trips due to congestion. The longer this project is held back the more it costs everyone. This is the second large project in Calgary that has been delayed by the UCP now.

Just wait till the delayed green line price tag comes back
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #213
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:

It's BS frankly. These improvements are desperately needed, especially in the south having backups every day, even with traffic not yet recovered to what it was pre 2020. And yet the overall cost was fairly cheap for the benefit.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #214
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Just wait till the delayed green line price tag comes back
UCP stalled so long on approving the funding the project got cut in half due to cost escalation in the meantime. For a party that desperately needs Calgary in order to be reelected they choose some interesting ways to demonstrate their commitment to the city.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #215
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
It's BS frankly. These improvements are desperately needed, especially in the south having backups every day, even with traffic not yet recovered to what it was pre 2020. And yet the overall cost was fairly cheap for the benefit.
IMO, them going back on the P3 is probably because they didn't get any bids, nobody in the private sector was willing to take on the risks for a price tag that was acceptable for the Province.

Quote:
UCP stalled so long on approving the funding the project got cut in half due to cost escalation in the meantime. For a party that desperately needs Calgary in order to be reelected they choose some interesting ways to demonstrate their commitment to the city.
The Green Line got cut in half in 2017.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...hts-to-shepard

The UCP Government did take 2020-2021 to decide to continue ahead after new challenges were found in Downown, but at the same time the Green Line completely revamped its management and oversight with the new Green Line Board and had to hire a new CEO and COO. The GL also agreed with the Province to have Shepard to Eau Claire as a single project. With all that, there was no way the GL was ready to do any major construction in 2021. In the most recent update, it won't even start until 2024.

Last edited by accord1999; 07-13-2022 at 03:47 PM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #216
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
IMO, them going back on the P3 is probably because they didn't get any bids, nobody in the private sector was willing to take on the risks for a price tag that was acceptable for the Province.

Preeeeeeecisely. Same reason a few years back they stopped building schools in a P3 program. Turns out when the proponents factor in a reasonable amount of risk that the projects aren't any less expensive for the province, and the final product isn't any better.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #217
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
They're slowly getting rid of all left hand turn on greens in the city.
Is there a reason why? They got rid of one (that I know of) in Chestermere too and I don't understand why.

At least this one when you get the green arrow it senses traffic and will stay on longer if there's lots.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:12 PM   #218
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What’s the deal with the intersection of Riverfront Ave and 1st St SE? Why do East and West bound traffic have to stop when 1st St SE is one way going South? If it’s for pedestrians give them a crossing button because most of the time I’ve had to stop there there aren’t any in sight.

The amount of time I spend at red lights for no reason in this city is ridiculous.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:51 PM   #219
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

O_o

There never used to be stop signs at Riverfront and 1 St SE, it was just a crossing light.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:14 AM   #220
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city got traffic light crazy recently. They added new lights at every even-numbered avenue on Edmonton Trail between 8th and 20th within the last year. There were always lights at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th, but now they're also at 10th, 14th, and 18th.

I'm not sure why those were deemed necessary.