Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #121
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I know where to find music that I enjoy. It's obviously a very subjective thing and that needs to be noted. I just find that music that is highlighted/prominent in our culture these days is often a poor representation of the talent that does exist, and I don't know why we promote music that doesn't tell a story, or is technically complex, or interesting, but instead the recycled crap makes us look like basic b####s.

What's up with instagram/tiktok samples that everybody uses and circulate? I might just not understand the platforms but to me it's awful music and makes whatever the clip is unwatchable a lot of times.

Why are we promoting (imo) the worst of what's out there?

I don't listen to radio music anymore. 15-20 years ago though I would religiously because it was actually decent at the time. Everything mainstream has gone downhill in recent years and stations are featuring less and less variety and the amount of plays kills anything that the few good songs that come through have going for them because it makes people sick of them after a couple weeks of rotations.

The impression I've gotten is that now we promote artists who have the biggest social media buzz (there's even a social media countdown on the radio now) regardless of the quality of the music that they put out. So artists who are most influential due to their lifestyle and name are the ones getting rotations, rather than the songs (regardless of the popularity of the source) that are the best critically recieved.
Yeah, I think you're looking through rose coloured glasses. Radio/popular music has always been about common denominator music and always will be (with some exceptions, obviously. I mean you can still listen to Rush on the radio ). Same with many of the music award ceremonies.

I used to listen to a tonne of radio in my younger years because I was more in to the music scene that radio supported then. And even then I knew that half the stuff on the radio was garbage. That hasn't changed, but the amount I listen to the radio has.

I've never been a top 40 music listening type(although there's some top 40 songs over the years that just have that hook that gets you. I remember blaring Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani because I thought it slapped ) but can still throw on X92.9 and usually don't have to wait too long for a good track. But you're 100% correct about songs getting overplayed, which is again, not a new thing.

/coolstorybro.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #122
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I’ve tried the free Spotify and didn’t think it was that great because I search on my own quite a bit for new music but it’s probably a good place to start. I like YouTube myself although I haven’t found a good band/artist recently.

I would agree, start with the bands you do like and delve into those genres. A lot of mainstream bands and artists are popular because they’re actually good. I see younger people wearing band shirts that were way before their time but still very much relevant.

Another suggestion is to go back and check out bands and artists you may have missed or maybe just weren’t really into at the time, I’ve done that and have filled out discographies of a few artists.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #123
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A good source for exposure to new music is /r/listentothis. It was much better when it was a default subreddit, but I've still gotten on to some great bands/artists through there. One of my favourite spotify playlists, which I swear I listen to weekly, was from there.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #124
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Probably the same as the one that has been going on at cowboys or wildhorse for the last however many years?
During the day? I avoid Nashville North but this might be fun.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:40 PM   #125
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
During the day? I avoid Nashville North but this might be fun.
Yah they both have had brunch’s for quite some time. I’ve been a few times. Always a good time.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #126
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Acting stupid only works when you're young.

Try Spotify, or any of the other streaming services. They all have free trials.

By definition, you will not find a lot of music appealing, because of personal preference.

Try out playlists, try out the "radios" they have. Start with the bands you do like, there will be suggestions for similar bands.
These are good suggestions. I was hoping for more specific band suggestions from a man of clearly refined, exceptional, and unquestionable music taste but I appreciate your effort.

I have a playlist I listen to every week that I add and remove 30-50 songs to every week or two, throwing whatever new stuff has come out and removing whatever I listened to and didn’t enjoy or stuff that’s been on it a while. It’s a good way to discover new stuff.

The music thread on here is also pretty good, actually. If you share the taste of the few guys who post in it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #127
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I haven't been to Stampede since Bob Hartley was the Flames' coach. It will be my wife's first time as a new arrival to Calgary. Anything noteworthy to see when we go?
If she's new to the prairies or rural life it's worth going to the agriculture buildings. The Nutrien building (??) is neat as it has baby animals (chickens etc.) which is always a hit and the barns beside it (near the Saddledome) are impressive for the larger animals.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 12:59 PM   #128
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I know where to find music that I enjoy. It's obviously a very subjective thing and that needs to be noted. I just find that music that is highlighted/prominent in our culture these days is often a poor representation of the talent that does exist, and I don't know why we promote music that doesn't tell a story, or is technically complex, or interesting, but instead the recycled crap makes us look like basic b####s.

What's up with instagram/tiktok samples that everybody uses and circulate? I might just not understand the platforms but to me it's awful music and makes whatever the clip is unwatchable a lot of times.

Why are we promoting (imo) the worst of what's out there?

I don't listen to radio music anymore. 15-20 years ago though I would religiously because it was actually decent at the time. Everything mainstream has gone downhill in recent years and stations are featuring less and less variety and the amount of plays kills anything that the few good songs that come through have going for them because it makes people sick of them after a couple weeks of rotations.

The impression I've gotten is that now we promote artists who have the biggest social media buzz (there's even a social media countdown on the radio now) regardless of the quality of the music that they put out. So artists who are most influential due to their lifestyle and name are the ones getting rotations, rather than the songs (regardless of the popularity of the source) that are the best critically recieved.
I hate popular music as much as anyone but you are kidding yourself if 20 years ago - 2002 was any different. Music on the radio was even more generic and bland and awful. We didn't really have internet radio and the focus of the music industry was even more narrowly focused on the late 90s/early 2000s trailer park rock and boring hip-hop trends. The number one single was Nickleback.

At least today's popular artists have grown up with music streaming and you can tell they are injecting a lot of influences from prior generations into their music and making a fusion of some of the better elements.

If you want something unique, I usually have CJSW as my default station in the car.

At the end of the day you have to realize that if you are a person that cares about music and composition and craft, you care about something different than what most people listen for - just to have a good time.

Finally, every generation inevitably associates the music and entertainment that they experienced when they were young with those good feelings and your tastes get pretty solidified in your formative years. Every single generation from the parents that thought Elvis was the devil to today always never "get" the music that young people are currently into and think it is trash or lowest common denominator. In reality, you might just not have an ear for what they subjectively enjoy based on their life experiences and the current zeitgeist.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-30-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #129
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So, anybody go to this thing or?

Anything new of note on the grounds.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:43 PM   #130
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So, anybody go to this thing or?

Anything new of note on the grounds.
I took a quick loop around and it seemed like the same old same old, nothing special tbh

But heads up, it costs $10 to for three throw at plates, bottles, etc. Fricken insane
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #131
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

No fireworks last night, I wonder why
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #132
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
No fireworks last night, I wonder why
I think there was, heard something around 11 and saw some pics on reddit earlier this morning
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #133
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really?? Weird! They're always at 11:30, I wonder why they bumped them up.

I just can see and hear them from my balcony and didn't hear anything last night. Not saying you're wrong as I was into the jazz cabbage around that time lol, perhaps I had the TV too loud...just seems odd I didn't hear it. And when I went out for them at 11:25, someone was on the roof of the building across the street was clearly ready for them with their camera out too. Hmmm...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #134
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just can see and hear them from my balcony and didn't hear anything last night. Not saying you're wrong as I was into the jazz cabbage around that time lol, perhaps I had the TV too loud...just seems odd I didn't hear it. And when I went out for them at 11:25, someone was on the roof of the building across the street was clearly ready for them with their camera out too. Hmmm...
I can never see them, but always hear them. They started last night at 10:50 and went to about 11:20.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #135
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They cut 9 wagons this year. The heats go by pretty quick with 27 wagons. A lot less opportunity for things to go haywire.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:45 PM   #136
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

11:17 tonight for fireworks.

They are really good this year.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:07 AM   #137
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah those were good ones yesterday, I was working on 9th ave at the time so got a good view
Old 07-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #138
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any animal protests / horses killed yet?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:03 AM   #139
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Any animal protests / horses killed yet?
Nothing yet other than animal rights groups trying to pressure Costner not to come
Old 07-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #140
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They cut 9 wagons this year. The heats go by pretty quick with 27 wagons. A lot less opportunity for things to go haywire.
This is the first night that I'm watching the wagons this Stampede and it is a bit weird seeing the three wagon instead of four race. The action doesn't seem as close but I'm certain this is better for safety.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote