Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #181
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a UDM Pro and it requires creating a separate network to have that network on the vpn. It’s not a fun process and after multiple attempts of those devices not communicating well with the other network I gave up and just installed nord vpn on the devices I wanted to use that vpn.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #182
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyntangs View Post
Thanks I was able to get the 24 POE switch and U6-Pro's.

I'm finding a Dream Pro Switch increasingly hard to find.

I went with Memory Express but Lin Haw was out of the Dream Machine Pro and the other items were insanely pricey there.
They're currently in stock at the Ubiquiti Canada store.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #183
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://ca.store.ui.com

Might have stock of the dream machine pro. Check now!

I threw one in my cart just to see if it would process.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2022, 10:02 PM   #184
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
I do have a separate question, I also want to avoid having to get a Firestick for each TV device I have to be able to use my SurfShark VPN for services, I'd rather place VPN on a network but then I don't want every device have to go thru VPN.

So my question is, is there a way to set up a dedicated network via VPN that a device could connect to (wired or wirelessly) while the rest is non-VPN. Or is the only real way to do this via a dedicated VPN router itself?
Just thinking off the top of my head here....

Code:
Net  >> Modem > Switch  >> Port 9 on UDM Pro >>> (network no VPN)
                        >> Port 10 on UDMP >> (network with VPN)
(That didn't format right...but the switch directs to two UDMP ports, with two public IPs incoming)

You'd need multiple public IPs, but can't see why that wouldn't work.

There may be an easier way too...personally I'd ask on the Ubiquiti forum; there's lots of smart folks there. Tag your post with Unifi/Unifi Switching and someone will likely know.
(Reddit's forum is OK, but there's also a lot of crap there.)

Last edited by taxbuster; 04-26-2022 at 10:05 PM.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #185
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Just thinking off the top of my head here....

Code:
Net  >> Modem > Switch  >> Port 9 on UDM Pro >>> (network no VPN)
                        >> Port 10 on UDMP >> (network with VPN)
(That didn't format right...but the switch directs to two UDMP ports, with two public IPs incoming)

You'd need multiple public IPs, but can't see why that wouldn't work.

There may be an easier way too...personally I'd ask on the Ubiquiti forum; there's lots of smart folks there. Tag your post with Unifi/Unifi Switching and someone will likely know.
(Reddit's forum is OK, but there's also a lot of crap there.)
Thanks. Yeah what you're saying in theory makes sense, I'll also ask on Ubiquiti. I actually did surf Reddit as well but like you said it's very hit and miss.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:19 AM   #186
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does attempting to add an additional AmpliFi HD modem to slightly improve my wifi coverage, snowball to waiting for shipping confirmation of a UDM Pro + Wifi 6 long range AP???

Old 04-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #187
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How does attempting to add an additional AmpliFi HD modem to slightly improve my wifi coverage, snowball to waiting for shipping confirmation of a UDM Pro + Wifi 6 long range AP???

Huh? Different subjects in the same thread....?

(And the Amplifi HD is a router not a modem. Assume that was a typo after the ongoing excitement of last night's win against NSH....)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:37 PM   #188
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Huh? Different subjects in the same thread....?

(And the Amplifi HD is a router not a modem. Assume that was a typo after the ongoing excitement of last night's win against NSH....)
Sorry yeah. That's a typo from the excitement from the game yesterday as well as realization I landed the UDM Pro.

The Amplifi HD router. I have two as my mesh network and I bought an extra on the ubiquiti website to get rid of the final annoying slow spot in my home.

And then on a whim I checked the ubiquiti website and I landed a UDM Pro...

I didn't expect to get it. But when the confirmation email showed up, I got over excited. I impulse purchased about a grand of gear in the ubiquit store in less than an hour yesterday.

I might die of spousal disapproval if I keep it. But I want it. I'll take the gamble. If I die, I die.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 10:32 AM   #189
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry yeah. That's a typo from the excitement from the game yesterday as well as realization I landed the UDM Pro.

The Amplifi HD router. I have two as my mesh network and I bought an extra on the ubiquiti website to get rid of the final annoying slow spot in my home.

I didn't expect to get it. But when the confirmation email showed up, I got over excited. I impulse purchased about a grand of gear in the ubiquit store in less than an hour yesterday.

I might die of spousal disapproval if I keep it. But I want it. I'll take the gamble. If I die, I die.
None of my Ubiquiti gear is current, but I got all of it free of charge when we upgraded from Unifi to Aruba at work for wireless. Makes spousal approval so much easier when you bring a big box of stuff home
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #190
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha....that's easy to do (if it's in stock)!

I've got a pretty fair collection of their gear here - personally have never had any trouble with their stuff at all. Update APs with care (and the UDMP) and keep backups in a spot on your network that is always accessible.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:50 PM   #191
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Looks like my Ubiquiti Unifi LR Access Point that's over 6 years old is finally biting the dust, almost unusable.

Are the new AP's still good these days? I'm using it on PoE, and have a Unifi Gateway still, so thinking I should stick with it since I had great luck. Though I really could use something that reaches the detached garage a bit better.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #192
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

More UDM Pros in stock again it anyone's interested: https://ca.store.ui.com/products/udm-pro
Old 05-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #193
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tinkered around with the positioning of the Unifi AP and damn... my house has a weird scenario where vertical mount was better than horizontal mount.

For horizontal on a shelf, rather than 180-320 mbps on basically most other than directly below the unit and certain areas with drop offs to around 20-50 mbps including basement, outside and garage.

Vertically mounted in an upstairs office, I'm getting at least 400 mbps 30-40 feet in all directions regardless of which level I'm on. The slowest speed in my house is 180-240 mbps vs 20-50 mbps as the worst before, and I can get around 130-160 mbps on my drive way.

All this from the same single Unifi LR AP. I'm surprised there was that much difference 15-20 feet away from the original location.

My meshed AmpliFi were approximately the same as the Horizontal mounted AP on the main floor in a central location. I thought I needed another LR AP, but this new result has completely blown away my expectations and I don't need another AP in the home. I'm very happy about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 PM   #194
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Thanks for this! House is 2014, just took possession recently.

So I went to the basement utility room (and they used to have a control4 and security system), I see white cables which are a mix of cat5 and audio cables, blues which are cat5 and a few black which are cat6. Adding some pictures of what I see down there:

I went around the house and in summary here's what I found:

Primarily cat5 cables (no connectors) behind the face plates.

One RJ45 outlet on the second level (which is where I already have my ISP modem connected, not to that though of course).

Then I noticed in the kitchen I have one RJ45 connector (I assume they had something here in the past):

What are your thoughts on this set-up? Would it make sense to get a switch in the basement utility room and get RJ45 ends to plug directly into a switch for the various cat5/6 cords. And then get a couple of access points to connect for floor 2/3 to connect directly to the cat5's behind the face plates (put RJ45 connectors on them)?

If so, given my ISP modem is already on floor 2, how best to connect that to a new router? Have that on floor 2 as well, connect to that RJ45 port already available and have that go into the switch that I'd put in the basement utility room?

Sorry for any dumb questions, but appreciate yours and HC's advice and guidance so far!
So after getting some time over the last two weeks I was able to do the following with help.

Traced all the wires and terminated both ends and placed (and labeled ) into a patch panel.

Installed the 24 port POE switch and Dream Machine Special Edition and two Wifi6 Access Point Pro's.

Man the Ubiquiti part was way easier than I expected in terms of the install. Went online to find a few videos on recommending an optimal settings approach and that really helped as well.

If anyone is curious here's how my set up looks like now, brought the ISP modem down as well and had an Eero 6 lying around as well so using that to supply even better coverage in the basement with the two AP's on the upper level.

Basically the slowest speeds I get in the house now are 600mb and outside the house including garage, backyard and patio are over 500 on a max 750 ISP speed.

I'm really excited with how this turned out.

Next steps are gonna be the dedicated VPN network I was talking about. Doesn't seem like the Eero will help with that but I do have a Linksys Ac1900 router which may be worth seeing if I can dedicate as a pure VPN router. Once that's done I'm gonna be on the hunt for some G4 Instant cameras via Ubiquiti for the outdoors.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:57 PM   #195
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
Install WiFiman on your phone and walk your house. I imagine you might have some interference coming from your own network.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #196
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
^
Install WiFiman on your phone and walk your house. I imagine you might have some interference coming from your own network.
I actually did do this and tried to map out the locations of the access points and chose the channel widths and channels themselves accordingly.

I'll play around with it accordingly but so far so good.

I do have to say that Ubiquiti sure keeps things simple I'm very impressed with the Unifi Network app.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #197
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys I'm finally done with my garbage Nighthawk MK63 - can't handle the restarts anymore.

Is it worth it to get a couple of ubiquiti wifi 6 lite APs while I wait for their dream router to come out?

I was thinking I could just hook the APs up to my modem/router (Shaw). For now and at least have a steady connection. There's no reason this wouldn't work right?
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:40 PM   #198
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Hey guys I'm finally done with my garbage Nighthawk MK63 - can't handle the restarts anymore.

Is it worth it to get a couple of ubiquiti wifi 6 lite APs while I wait for their dream router to come out?

I was thinking I could just hook the APs up to my modem/router (Shaw). For now and at least have a steady connection. There's no reason this wouldn't work right?
Yes that would work just fine. The APs work independently of the router. You will need to install the controller on a computer on the network to configure them though.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:57 PM   #199
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Okay 3 months after I posted about being done with my garbage wifi I finally pulled the trigger haha.

Ordered
-Dream Machine Special Edition
-Unifi 6 Long Range x 1
-Unifi 6 In-Wall x 2

I'm going to wall mount the Long Range in my basement at the front of the house, then have an in wall at the back of my house on the main floor and the other in wall in the middle of my house on the top floor.

Hopefully I can get this set up to be reliable! I'm not worried about getting crazy speeds on my wireless devices, but really need a stable connection as my wife and I will both be working from home and the wifi cutting out is driving us insane.

Fingers crossed this does the trick.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #200
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Okay 3 months after I posted about being done with my garbage wifi I finally pulled the trigger haha.

Ordered
-Dream Machine Special Edition
-Unifi 6 Long Range x 1
-Unifi 6 In-Wall x 2

I'm going to wall mount the Long Range in my basement at the front of the house, then have an in wall at the back of my house on the main floor and the other in wall in the middle of my house on the top floor.

Hopefully I can get this set up to be reliable! I'm not worried about getting crazy speeds on my wireless devices, but really need a stable connection as my wife and I will both be working from home and the wifi cutting out is driving us insane.

Fingers crossed this does the trick.
Are you in a 4000sq ft house?

You are going to notice that LR will gobble up all the devices in the basement and main floor and probably a few upstairs. You made a great choice on gear!

I am running 2 AP's now and at one point I had 4 but quickly realized 2 is more then enough and im in a 2100sq ft house.