Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #41
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
If Gaudreau signs an eight-year deal, he'll be 36 in its last year. I bet he would very seriously consider a back-diving contract (within the current rules). Something like this:

11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 7.5, 5.5

Total: $79 million over 8 years, 9.88 AAV. For any other team to match the first seven years of that deal, they would be looking at an AAV of 10.35. He could get that, but it would make it that much harder for his new team to pay a winning roster, which, I believe, is also something he cares about.
Nice, you even got both of the requirements for front loaded contracts right! The year to year salary variance was under $3.85M(35% of the first year). Also, the year with the lowest salary wasn't less than 50% of the year with the highest salary. Almost like you've done this before
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #42
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In what universe would the Flames be buying out Backlund and for what earthly reason?
They shouldn't. I only included the calculation for the sake of discussion, since his is the third worst contract on the team after Lucic and Monahan.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #43
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Traded Monahan and Valimaki for Dvorak
Traded Mangiapane and Phillips for Beauvillier and Mayfield

Signed Gaudreau for 9.25/8
Signed Tkachuk for 9.25/8
Signed Kylington for 2.0/1
Room for two minimum wage goons

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Beauvillier - Dvorak - Toffoli
Pelletier - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Ruziscka - Dube
Goon

Hanafin - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Mackie - Mayfield
Goon

Markstrom
Vladar

Lucic is not going to retire. One of the RFA/UFA had to go, so I sold high on Mangiapane, and bought low on Mayfield and Beauvillier. Realistic trade for Dvorak, sending Monahan and Valimaki. Kylington has to take a bridge and bank on himself to swing that Lucic money the next year.

Comes in just under cap.

I love Beauvillier (and don't know Mayfield), but what makes you think NYI has any interest in getting rid of him??
I also don't see why MTL would do that trade.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #44
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[9.5]Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk[9.5]
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman
[5.75]Mangiapane-Ruzicka[1.0]-Phillips[0.80]
Lucic-Dube-Duehr
Lewis[0.80]

Hanifin-Andersson
[4.75]Kylington-Tanev
Mackey-[2.25]Gudbranson
[0.80]Stone

Markstrom
Vladar

Monahan, Toffoli and Valimaki are unloaded for prospects and picks
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #45
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If I’m management, I’m keeping the majority of the team intact. We’ve seen enough Brouwer’s and Neal’s to know that a new player doesn’t always translate; so sometimes, it is better to have the devil you know than the one you don’t know. I like the overall team chemistry and mix and there are some pairings/duos that I’m absolutely not messing with.

Whoever ends up on the team next season, I do hope it includes Gio (at a severely reduced rate). Wouldn’t mind a “win it for Gio” campaign that keeps the team motivated for the playoffs.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #46
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I could be wrong but I don’t see Gaudreau signing for anything less than 10M.
He's not and neither is Forsberg. The latter is likely going to re-sign with the Preds and if Tre doesn't get the deal done with Gaudreau before the FA market opens up, he's as good as gone to one of the eastern teams.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #47
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Treliving needs to get to work and get rid of Monahan, Lucic and Backlund

Johnny Lindholm Tkachuk
Mangi Jarnkrok Toffoli
Xxxxx Dube Coleman
Xxxxx Ruzicka xxxxxx

Andersson Hanifin
Tanev Kylington
Gudbranson xxxxxx

Markstrom
Vladar

Xxxxx can be filled with rookies and minimum salary guys
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #48
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its amazing how many flames fans don't realize that Backlund is important and on a good contract. As soon as I read someone say he needs to be bought out or is a bad contract it just says to me that whoever is spouting that drivel doesn't have a clue and probably should just pick a new sport to follow
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #49
Knut

Exp:

If a player isnt playing well, put him with Backlund and they start playing well. He allows the wingers on his line to just play their game and get back to basics, plus get O zone opportunities. You need to keep him just for that.

I would move on from Kylington though. Move him as an RFA to recoup the picks you sent out at the deadline if you are able to resign both Tkachuk and Gaudreau.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #50
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Its amazing how many flames fans don't realize that Backlund is important and on a good contract. As soon as I read someone say he needs to be bought out or is a bad contract it just says to me that whoever is spouting that drivel doesn't have a clue and probably should just pick a new sport to follow
When Backlund is 36 he will make $5,350,000. That is three years from now sure. But the best value years of Backlund are behind him. No contract is stable, they change over time. For example for most of his contract Monahan was a steal of a deal. All things change.

Backlund is probably not worth $5,350,000 today. However, his contract is very palatable because the Flames get very good value elsewhere in the roster. The theme of this thread is that the Flames are going to have to find money if they want to keep Mangaipane, Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Like O.P said, Zadorov and Monahan are easy outs. However, Lucic's contract is effectively buyout proof.

With this in mind the question isn't is Backlund good, or was Backlund's contract over the last 3-4 years good value. The question is, do the Flames need to find money by moving on from 34 year old Backlund.

I still maintain that Backlund, while not great value at $5,350,000 is a quality player on the team and worth the slight overpay coming into next year. Besides a 1M cap increase is good news. We are just bracing ourselves for two contracts north of 10M.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 03-29-2022 at 02:11 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #51
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Nice, you even got both of the requirements for front loaded contracts right! The year to year salary variance was under $3.85M(35% of the first year). Also, the year with the lowest salary wasn't less than 50% of the year with the highest salary. Almost like you've done this before
I'm a geek. Sometimes I read the CBA for fun.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #52
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Treliving needs to get to work and get rid of Monahan, Lucic and Backlund

Johnny Lindholm Tkachuk
Mangi Jarnkrok Toffoli
Xxxxx Dube Coleman
Xxxxx Ruzicka xxxxxx

Andersson Hanifin
Tanev Kylington
Gudbranson xxxxxx

Markstrom
Vladar

Xxxxx can be filled with rookies and minimum salary guys
Uhh he needs to get to work? Are you saying he isn't working? He can't get rid of them now... and getting rid of Backlund is dumb.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:11 PM   #53
rollie619
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I've been browsing CP for 11 years and for 11 years everyone has been saying Backlund needs to be traded for something. (weekly!). It's mind boggling.
rollie619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #54
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uhh he needs to get to work? Are you saying he isn't working? He can't get rid of them now... and getting rid of Backlund is dumb.
The best time to criticize a GM for not making moves is when he can't make any moves. Then he can't just solve the problem in his own way and make the critic look stupid.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:23 PM   #55
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund will retire as the only drafted Flames without ever being traded. Although he may not be the team's top centerman, he is a depth center that is pretty reliable for 5-on-5, PP, and PK. He's probably second to Lindholm as a backchecking center. I think people want more flashy forwards but Backlund is the guy that makes other lines tick without affecting the first line. Like Lindholm, Backlund is totally underrated and I don't think most know how important he his for this team during the rebuild years and years to come.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:30 PM   #56
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still remember the poster Where ru Chris O'Sullivan (IIRC?) who believed Backlund was KHL bound over a decade ago. I think he even had a signature dedicated to that prediction. I tried searching for that user profile to see his post history, but no luck.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #57
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless we get to the 3rd round and everyone is convinced that we deserved to win the cup. I can't imagine doing all that work and sacrificing the future to keep the same if not a worse team. They pushed the chips in this year which I like but doing it again this summer seems foolish to me.

I think one of Johnny or Tkachuk is gone and I don't want to pay the price that'll take to get rid of Looch and Monahan. Especially since I think Monahan can rebound and hopefully fill Backlunds role if we resign him at a reasonable AAV. Either that or a 2nd line winger. Hopefully Lucic takes his signing bonus and retires.

Mangiane - Lindholm - Toffoli
Tkachuk - backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Monahan - Jarnkrok
AHL - Ruzicka - AHL/UFA

See how that goes, then go all in 2024. If that doesn't work, blow the core up. ya losing Gaudreau will hurt but our wingers are still strong.

Last edited by DJones; 03-29-2022 at 02:38 PM.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #58
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So your going to loose Gaudreau for nothing? Bad asset mgmt
Will agree team will look different next year
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #59
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
So your going to loose Gaudreau for nothing? Bad asset mgmt
Will agree team will look different next year
You get 10-11 million in cap space.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #60
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He needs to clear cap space to bring back Johnny, Tkachuk, Mangi and Kylington

Jarnkrok and Gud are also good piece.

That requires hard work. GMs are not pounding the door for Monahan and Lucic. If they are and he is not trading them then he is dumber than I thought.

As for Backlund, it’s just dollar value and sacrifice. Dube, Jarnkrok and Ruzicka should be able to adequately do his job
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022 , 2023 , armchair , g.m. , roster