Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2022, 11:36 PM   #81
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Canada the better team with a lot of chances, 4 posts, and so many bounces around the net that didn't go the right way.

Pasquale with 3 terrible goals the obvious difference.

Actually don't mind the jerseys. Nike trolling everyone, but not like anyone has memorized the numbers nor names of the players. Tambelleni like his dad with the Flames, wearing 15.

The 2004 Flames jerseys could've been a whole lot different originally if they knew that changing the name bar to white was going to happen after 6 or so games. Certainly would've been white numbers instead and maybe a white C. Still have to get my 2004 Iginla jersey with a black name bar.

Last edited by browna; 02-11-2022 at 11:38 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:07 AM   #82
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless things change drastically and quickly, Curling is tracking to be just an absolute disaster for Canada for the second Olympics in a row.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:46 AM   #83
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jones & Gushue both had chances to win their matches today. Both could not pull through.

Men's team falls to 2-2. Women at 1-2.

Massive yikes.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:49 AM   #84
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Next big medal hope for Canada is the Men's 500m Long Track Speed Skating at 1:53am, where Laurent Dubreuil is projected by many to win Gold!
Dubreuil finishes in 4th. First time all season he finishes off the podium.

A massive disappointment would be an understatement
Old 02-12-2022, 02:49 AM   #85
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

China wins gold in the 500m. Canada places 4th.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:54 AM   #86
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pretty rough day for Canada in most events.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:55 AM   #87
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

With only one Gold medal and numerous Gold medal favorites either not securing Gold or on track for disappointing results (Curling specifically), Canada is well on track for one of their worst Winter Olympics in recent memory when taking Gold medals into consideration.

Hopefully a few surprises can finish atop the podium.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 03:00 AM   #88
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
With only one Gold medal and numerous Gold medal favorites either not securing Gold or on track for disappointing results (Curling specifically), Canada is well on track for one of their worst Winter Olympics in recent memory when taking Gold medals into consideration.

Hopefully a few surprises can finish atop the podium.
I blame you for getting my hopes up

I had no idea who Dubreuil was until I read your post saying he was a gold medal favourite. Then he let me down! It's much better having no expectations and then every medal feels like a win
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 03:01 AM   #89
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Having ranked 3rd in 2018 in Gold medals, 3rd in 2014, and 1st in 2010, Canada is currently in a tie for 13th in Gold medal count in 2022.

Plenty of opportunity to run that count up, and they surely (I hope) will surpass a number of the nations ahead of them, but they need to start moving to avoid an incredibly disappointing Winter Olympic Games.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #90
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

In curling i think Jones is in more trouble than Gushie maybe.

In the men's there are clearly two tiers of 5, top (SWE, SUI, CAN,GB,USA) and bottom (NOR, DEN, ITA, CHN, Cheaters)

So 4 of the top 5 will make the playoffs. Question is do any of the top 5 drop games to any of the bottom 5. So far there's been 1, USA lost to Norway.

On the women's side it's a mess. That may help but probably not. Sweden beat Canada but then turns around and loses to China. So we'll see.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #91
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just have to win your games. A record close to .500 won’t cut it as we saw in the mixed. So both need to string a couple of wins in a row together right now.

The snowboard cross relay was fun but the cap on the head start you can earn for the second leg is about the worst rule I have heard of. Canadian wins wis heat by well over 10 seconds and the second leg doesn’t even get a 4 second head start. It’s really mainly a womens competition with their ability to draft and catch up. A small lead at the start is meaningless.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:58 AM   #92
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You just have to win your games. A record close to .500 won’t cut it as we saw in the mixed. So both need to string a couple of wins in a row together right now.

The snowboard cross relay was fun but the cap on the head start you can earn for the second leg is about the worst rule I have heard of. Canadian wins wis heat by well over 10 seconds and the second leg doesn’t even get a 4 second head start. It’s really mainly a womens competition with their ability to draft and catch up. A small lead at the start is meaningless.
I think a cap makes sense when there's a crash, but not in a clean race.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #93
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I think a cap makes sense when there's a crash, but not in a clean race.
I thought about that, but IMO it's just basically a longer race. If you crash you're out. I can't think of any other relay race that gives a second chance like that.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:09 AM   #94
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I thought about that, but IMO it's just basically a longer race. If you crash you're out. I can't think of any other relay race that gives a second chance like that.
Other than short track (where they can tag in), there aren't too many other relays that even have crashes. It's already pretty harsh that you can be taken out with no recourse.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:38 PM   #95
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Other than short track (where they can tag in), there aren't too many other relays that even have crashes. It's already pretty harsh that you can be taken out with no recourse.
Dropping the baton in any footrace?

It's a two person relay, just makes no sense that a crash ends a race for one person but in relay it's a 4 second setback.