Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #221
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I have a feeling that Dube is going to start the season with Stockton and be a mid to late season call up like Jankowski.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #222
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have a feeling that Dube is going to start the season with Stockton and be a mid to late season call up like Jankowski.

I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case. Personally, I am leaning towards the 9 game cup of coffee simply because of how dominant he has been this preseason. I think his impact has been far more apparent than Jankowski last season, and put into perspective that Janko has had an amazing rookie year.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #223
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case. Personally, I am leaning towards the 9 game cup of coffee simply because of how dominant he has been this preseason. I think his impact has been far more apparent than Jankowski last season, and put into perspective that Janko has had an amazing rookie year.
He's been dominant against rookies. I want to see how he handles the next level before I give him that cup of coffee. He needs to prove himself and starting out in Stockton with top line minutes would be the best way to go IMO.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #224
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Lankow comarisons last night and #22 is available....
This.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #225
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Dion;6794008]I have a feeling that Dube is going to start the season with Stockton and be a mid to late season call up like Jankowski.[/i wouldn't really call Jankowski a mid to late season callup. He was called after only 10 games or so.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 02:07 AM   #226
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

The eye test on this kid says he's far better than Lazar, Hathaway and even Bennett, his speed is terrifying for opposing defense, he has great hands, a great shot and vision. Treliving played politics with the roster last year and it was a disastrous season, Bennett we can't waive but if Lazar and Hathaway are on this team over Dube I'm going on strike.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #227
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scored a helluva goal against a Vezina nominated goalie last night. Another showing like that and he has a real chance to make the team out of camp. Lazar and Hathaway both need to show something in the coming weeks or their spots could be in jeopardy.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #228
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Dube has to keep it up but Treliving talked in the offseason about wanting to change the culture, hopefully his actions say the same.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #229
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
9 game cup of coffee doesn’t apply as he can’t go back to junior.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #230
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Dube has to keep it up but Treliving talked in the offseason about wanting to change the culture, hopefully his actions say the same.
I think it’s really important here to do the right thing and find a spot on the big team. If we as casual fans see it, then you better believe the players know it too. What kind of message does it send to the other players on the cusp of breaking in. They’re thinking well if he doesn’t make it, I’m never getting there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #231
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's interesting because Dube has been nothing but impressive so far. I think the role they consider open for competition perhaps puts more emphasis or has more of requirement for play away from the puck.

I think others have mentioned it too but after the first China game, Peters singled out Hathaway and Frolik for their play. Most fans would have thought they were kind of unimpressive because they didn't really factor on scoresheet.

But I think the coaching staff looks at how they track back, what angles they take on guys, denial of entry etc. Within any coach's system there these kind of small details they want to see.

But the management have said to the players whatever it is you do well show that to us and Dube is certainly doing that. He's been fantastic, his skating is eye popping to me and he is ready for his chances. I think any little details can be coached along the way and I absolutely love dynamic players.

It will be interesting how this plays out!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #232
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

impressed with Dube - originally thought he'd be more of a checker, but his game has evolved a lot...

some of the announcers suggested Brayden Point as a comparable, which seem a bit optimistic... but he does flash some great talent at times...i want to see how he does playing with and against NHL players

I think that the Flames won't rush him and he'll start the year in Stockton, but he'll be the first guy called up...if he impresses, i could see calgary trying to clear room for him by moving someone or exposing someone to waivers by trying to pass them through the waiver wire.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #233
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man if Dube does hit thay Brayden Point level of play we are incredibly deep at forward.

Gaudreau - Monaghan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Dube - Neal
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Ryan - Czarnik
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #234
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Dube has been productive, and nobody is going to take that away from him. But when it comes to a 200 foot game and what they create and allow on the ice, I think both Mangiapane and Foo have been the better forwards to date in this camp.

By counts Mangiapane is 27-6 in on ice scoring chances in 37 minutes of ice time. Foo is 20-6. Coaches notice that kind of thing. Dube against the same opposition is 21-18.

May have to clean up his own end and the neutral zone in the AHL before he's ready.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #235
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of our best current prospects are 2nd round picks. Really puts into perspective what we could be missing out on by trading our 2nd round picks all the time
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #236
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d really like to see Dube and Mangiapane push for forward spots and Andersson push on defence. Foo, Valimaki, Klyington not far behind. Good problems to have.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #237
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm intrigued to see how he does going later into the preseason and we see how he handles himself in his true projected role(s) on this team. We will likely get a better idea of that as he's integrated into the full time roster of players.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #238
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Dube has been productive, and nobody is going to take that away from him. But when it comes to a 200 foot game and what they create and allow on the ice, I think both Mangiapane and Foo have been the better forwards to date in this camp.

By counts Mangiapane is 27-6 in on ice scoring chances in 37 minutes of ice time. Foo is 20-6. Coaches notice that kind of thing. Dube against the same opposition is 21-18.

May have to clean up his own end and the neutral zone in the AHL before he's ready.
Great analysis Bingo and have to think that the coaches are aware of this. Dube is clearly ready to produce offense in the NHL, but needs work defensively and managing the game at the pro level. He needs to learn this stuff when he is young before they become habits that can't be broken. Bennett haters love comparing him to Yakupov, well you run the risk of Dube being a Yakupov if you rush him in to the NHL before he's learned all the defensive details.

There is no harm in having Dube start in the AHL and marinate a bit.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #239
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Is that 5 on 5? I didn't watch the rookie games but I certainly didn't see those scoring chances against except when he was on the PK.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #240
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

i think Dube starts in Stockton if for no other reason than he can get a ton of minutes in all situations, something that wont happen in Calgary.

He isnt supplanting any of the top 9 guys at this point so he would be making the team likely as the 13th or 14th forward....so do you want him watching from the press box at the dome or playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL against good competition?