Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #661
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, especially now that hes going to have to play with only 1 eye.

He might have to play the rest of the season as a Pirate.

If Spurs diving wasnt enough now they're resorting to eye-gouging.
I didn’t realize how bad that was until the replay and stills. At first I thought that Firminho was just selling it and barely got touched...but on review Vertonghen buried his finger in his eye socket up to the knuckle!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #662
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I didn’t realize how bad that was until the replay and stills. At first I thought that Firminho was just selling it and barely got touched...but on review Vertonghen buried his finger in his eye socket up to the knuckle!
Yeah, at speed it looked fairly innocuous but in slow-mo thats pretty grim.

Total accident though and it looks ike Firmino has a little eye damage but nothing serious apparently.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #663
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't see the Watford game so I can't comment on that, but Danny Rose has been trash every time I've watched him this year.

Oh well, good to see that Spurs have played themselves out of the title race early in the season again.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #664
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I didn't see the Watford game so I can't comment on that, but Danny Rose has been trash every time I've watched him this year.

Oh well, good to see that Spurs have played themselves out of the title race early in the season again.
Yeah a six point gap with only eight months to go is insurmountable. I will say that I’m not thrilled with their performance and Inter isn’t going to be easy this week, but really saying it’s over five games into the season is a little premature.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #665
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Controversy within Spurs? Or mere wardrobe malfunction? We may never know....but the truth is out there....

Quote:
After months of speculation over his future, Toby Alderweireld once again found himself the centre of debate among Tottenham fans during Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Liverpool.

Indeed, it was noted that the Belgium defender played the entire game without a badge on his Spurs shirt, with several supporters left wondering if it was a cryptic protest at the club's refusal to let him leave over the summer.

Oddly, reporter Alasdair Gold claimed that Alderweireld was sent out onto the Wembley pitch with a fully-badged shirt for both the first and second half, yet still somehow played without the famous cockerel on his chest.

Of course, rather than a coded message to the outside world, it's altogether more likely to have been a manufacturing error with the shirt, or perhaps an emergency spare brought in at late notice.

But where's the fun in that?
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-the-...inst-liverpool

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #666
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well west ham are showing that they can counter with precision. They must have scored on every shot they've taken this game... Everton is owning them in open play but west ham's countering is just amazing.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #667
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Well west ham are showing that they can counter with precision. They must have scored on every shot they've taken this game... Everton is owning them in open play but west ham's countering is just amazing.
I'm much happier this week. They've scored some beautiful goals. Arnautovic's knee is a big concern, though.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #668
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I'm much happier this week. They've scored some beautiful goals. Arnautovic's knee is a big concern, though.
They still look like more of a collection of individuals than a coordinated team (which is probably to be expected with how many new players they have) but some skill is shinig through.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #669
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So great to see Yarmolenko score a couple today
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #670
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah a six point gap with only eight months to go is insurmountable. I will say that I’m not thrilled with their performance and Inter isn’t going to be easy this week, but really saying it’s over five games into the season is a little premature.
Yeah, we had this exact conversation last year and look what happened. I know you're fairly new to the PL but dropping 6 points at home this early in the season is a killer. They may turn it around but the odds and history of the league are kind of stacked against them.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #671
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not even odds and history, Spurs have shown time and again the last couple years they aren't at a good enough level to win the league, especially not with Liverpool and City clearly a few levels above them, nevermind Chelsea who've looked strong so far as well. Spurs need to focus on what matters, the finishing above Arsenal trophy, because Arsenal are level on points too.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #672
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nicely done West Ham! I dont always want you to win, but when you do I'm glad its against those filthy Evertonians.

Now...get some wins against the Manchesters, Chelsea and Spurs and I'll hope you dont get relegated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #673
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nicely done West Ham! I dont always want you to win, but when you do I'm glad its against those filthy Evertonians.

Now...get some wins against the Manchesters, Chelsea and Spurs and I'll hope you dont get relegated.
That's all we ever hope for
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #674
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
That's all we ever hope for
And I mean 'actual wins' not just engaging their fans and star players with the Ol' 'Millwall Hammer.'

Old 09-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #675
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, we had this exact conversation last year and look what happened. I know you're fairly new to the PL but dropping 6 points at home this early in the season is a killer. They may turn it around but the odds and history of the league are kind of stacked against them.
Well I am just more optimistic. Every team has looked beatable this year, and they’re all going to drop points. So yeah, at this point it seems like Liverpool or Chelsea is just unreal, and a few weeks ago Spurs looked good also. It’s a long season, and plenty will change before May.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #676
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I am just more optimistic. Every team has looked beatable this year, and they’re all going to drop points. So yeah, at this point it seems like Liverpool or Chelsea is just unreal, and a few weeks ago Spurs looked good also. It’s a long season, and plenty will change before May.
It has nothing to do with optimism or pessimism. It's optimism vs. reality. City only lost one game at home all season last year and it wasn't until April when the league was well in hand. The previous year Chelsea lost 5 games but only 2 of those were at home.

In the last 10 years of PL play most title-winning teams have finished with no more than 5 losses total, and no more than 2 losses at home. I'm not saying Spurs are 100% finished, but their margin for error is completely gone for the rest of the season. They basically have to run the table on their remaining home games and likely need to steal a game on the road from two of Chelsea, City, or Liverpool.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #677
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Pochettino a complete idiot? It certainly looks that way.

Quote:
Mauricio Pochettino believes the stress caused by Hugo Lloris' arrest for drink-driving may have contributed to the thigh injury that has ruled the goalkeeper out of Tottenham's three successive defeats.

Spurs' captain suffered the problem during the 3-0 victory at Manchester United on Aug. 27, less than four days after being pulled over and charged by police in central London.

"I think he was under stress during the game against Manchester United," said Pochettino. "In that stress, maybe it created that injury.

"The injury now is helping him to take time to think and be a little bit more relaxed, because to compete after what happened I think was a massive stress for him.
http://global.espn.com/football/tott...est-pochettino

Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #678
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Pochettino a complete idiot? It certainly looks that way.

http://global.espn.com/football/tott...est-pochettino
What's idiotic though, you lost me here. (Maybe I'm also an idiot?)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #679
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's idiotic though, you lost me here. (Maybe I'm also an idiot?)
Think it's because it sounds like he's defending Lloris and is saying that driving drunk was such a hard time on him, and stressed him out so much...like he was a victim in the whole thing.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #680
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe PL teams should just prohibit their French players from driving altogether.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1043189647315271680
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote