Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #3581
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

And these aren't blogs. Its WaPo, CNN etc. pushing this agenda.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/09/opi...w.google.ca%2F

Quote:
The unfair treatment displayed toward Serena Williams at the US Open is further proof that, in tennis, women are subjected to a double standard. That standard is particularly glaring in the case of female athletes of color.

And Huff Post brings up Shapovalov like he hit the ump on purpose.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/m.huffpo...1db3e30cdd/amp

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-10-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #3582
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And these aren't blogs. Its WaPo, CNN etc. pushing this agenda.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/09/opi...w.google.ca%2F

And Huff Post brings up Shapovalov like he hit the ump on purpose.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/m.huffpo...1db3e30cdd/amp
Let me get this right. Williams receives coaching as admitted by her coach. Gets a warning. Just a warning remember! Then breaks her racquet out of her own frustration and receives a one point penalty. Then verbally abused the chair umpire over three different instances asking him over and over to apologize (he clearly cannot in his position) and then calling him a thief and gets a one game penalty. So this sexist umpire robbed Serena so another female could win the match? It just doesn't add up. Also Serena robbed herself because she's the one that turned a warning into a point and game penalty.

Personally my feeling is anyone that defends that type of behavior is almost as big an embarrassment as Serena and the incident.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #3583
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet they always continue to do it. She's big money, I guess, and they know that she can't handle personal criticism so they just fawn and fawn.

Incidentally, the assumption is that she wouldn't have received the game penalty if she was a man because men say that stuff all the time and don't get game penalties. Which may be, but if so, it's a problem on the men's side in terms of handing out penalties more often, not of allowing this sort of behaviour. Half of this would get you tossed from an MLB game, and I'm not sure why Tennis should have more relaxed standards for yelling at the officials. Yeah, they're wrong sometimes. You're just going to have to live with that and not carry on again and again for hours.

To characterize it as sexism - as a referee who won't put up with a woman getting in his face - is, frankly, libelous.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #3584
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

This event is probably the first time I'm agreeing with the "leftist MSM fake news" narrative.

I watched the entire match and I literally cannot believe anyone would be on Serena's side of this.

She's a complete disgrace to women and mothers everywhere.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #3585
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #3586
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God, I thought Serena was clearly an a$$.

First of all, she was receiving coaching, so whether everyone else is getting it or not is irrelevant, she got caught getting coaching. Then her tirade about how she's not a cheater and she has a daughter blah blah blah, and that the official owes her an apology, and she breaks her racket and she calls the official a theif.

and then she basically sits there for a few minutes and lets the winner who's awesome get boo'd out of the building before she "Magnanimously" steps in.

Everything Serena did was wrong. And now there's this whole false narrative about equality, well the men wouldn't get hit like this so it must be a evil sexist official with it in for poor Serena and all woman.

This is why I couldn't be a official in any sport. She acted like a child, and I would have told her to either shut the F up and play tennis, or pack her %%%% up and we can all go home.

the whole thing is based on the Premise that Serean lied about it, then doubled down on that lie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #3587
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serena got what she wanted, we're not talking about her lackluster performance at all.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #3588
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Serena got what she wanted, we're not talking about her lackluster performance at all.
6-2, 6-4. Scorelines don't lie, no matter how much people want it to fit a narrative.

I was discussing the whole ordeal with someone yesterday and apparently, as a woman, it's "bad" I'm not on Serena's side in this. An anti-feminist if you will.

The only one I'm thinking about in all of this is Naomi. If people are dishing out the whole "women support women" business, then Naomi shouldn't have gone through what she did. That's the drum I'm going to beat.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #3589
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I love the quote above.

Quote:
and now it was 5-3, and we will never know whether young Osaka really won the 2018 U.S. Open or had it handed to her by a man
We will never know whether Osaka won the US Open? GTFOH. She dropped one set in seven matches and her margin in games won was 84-34 for the tournament.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #3590
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I was discussing the whole ordeal with someone yesterday and apparently, as a woman, it's "bad" I'm not on Serena's side in this. An anti-feminist if you will.
All women must think alike, hey? Sounds like a great approach to feminism!

The increasing prevalence of this sort of thing is why we are doomed as a species. Meteor, please.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #3591
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mango, my wife is about as pro-feminist as you can be and she couldn't believe how big of an ass Serena made herself out to be while at the same time feeling that Naomi was robbed of a joyous occasion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #3592
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This umpire is completely sexist he would never give a violation to a male tennis player especially one of the all time GOATs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #3593
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a comedy of errors this weekend in Flushing Meadows.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039163974959357952
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #3594
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Just a comedy of errors this weekend in Flushing Meadows.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039163974959357952
i disagree with the 'but get it for tv'. It's on ESPN not network tv. They could show the doubles ceremony with and celebrate an American winning. It takes an extra 10 minutes.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #3595
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039161914222362624
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #3596
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Osaka answering questions from Japanese media. First question asked if she could answer in Japanese. She's like, nope, my brain is fried.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #3597
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My sister-in-law posted something to this effect on Facebook. That if you're okay with how the ref handled SW, then you're complacent in misogyny. I think I groaned out loud. It's like, if you don't believe XYZ then you hate women or you're a self hating woman.

The moral of the story that I'm getting out of this whole thing and the defense of SW, is that because men sometimes behave like idiots, Serena should be able to behave like an idiot? Because that's exactly how she came off. Osaka was in tears at the end of what should have been a triumphant moment for her, even apologized and people are still falling all over themselves trying to make excuses for Serena's behavior. It's maddening.

I think more attention needs to be given to Naomi Osaka. She's an incredible talent. Take a moment to read up on her if you have some time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/23/m...ough-game.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #3598
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

an article (written by a woman which shouldn't matter but sadly it does) that sums up what many of us here feel...and of course is about to endure the wrath of a thousand angry comments.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/...lations/76875/

Quote:
When Osaka was eight years old, she wrote a report about Serena Williams. The young girl, born in Japan but raised in Miami, painstakingly colored in the project and then told her third-grade classmates, “I want to be like her.”

After Saturday night, maybe not so much.
Quote:
Serena has spent a great deal of time over the last several months espousing what she has learned by being a mother. One of the mandates of motherhood is counting to 10 and giving our children the opportunity to calm down from a temper tantrum. We tell them there will be consequences for their actions, like a time out.

Perhaps Serena needed a time out Saturday night. Instead, when she was asked about the teachable moment she would tell her daughter one day, her response was that you have to stand up for what you believe in. What she should have fought for was regaining her own composure and grace. She is, after all, one of the great ambassadors of our sport. Women all over the world, especially mothers, look up to her. What a pity if one bad moment could make them now look down on her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #3599
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
an article (written by a woman which shouldn't matter but sadly it does) that sums up what many of us here feel...and of course is about to endure the wrath of a thousand angry comments.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/...lations/76875/
That was an excellent article, thanks for sharing Jack. I liked this part especially...

Could Ramos instead have gently warned Serena at that point that her foot—and mouth—were perilously close to the line and that she was in danger of incurring a third code violation and game penalty? Perhaps. Would a final admonishment have stopped her rant? Who knows. The fact is, though, that Ramos was doing what he was assigned to do. He followed the directives as clearly spelled out in the Grand Slam Rule Book.

I think Ramos stayed quiet hoping that once Williams was done ranting, she might cool down. However, she kept on and on and finally he was left with no choice. Everybody seems to be focused on the word "thief" as the trigger that resulted in the game penalty and it certainly didn't help, but I think the relentless tirade from Serena bears the bulk of the responsibility.

Edit: The ITF released a statement earlier today...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1039192554821038081

Last edited by dash_pinched; 09-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #3600
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Good take from Navratlilova too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread