Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #5301
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
we've been watching Maid, and i think it's well done and a good show to watch, but likely will be overlooked by many because of Squid Game.
It's a really good show although people should prepare for an emotional rollercoaster if they're going to watch. I know close friends and family who've dealt with domestic violence so this show hits me pretty hard.

Andie MacDowell is incredible and her real-life daughter is the lead actor so their relationship feels quite real.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #5302
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Ya, similar to Money Heist, you just gotta watch it in original language and read the subtitles- forces you to focus on the show anyway. The overdub is exceptionally bad on Squid Game.
I accidentally started watching the over-dubbed version, not really knowing what I was watching. The main guy, the old guy and the freckled girl all had decent actors doing the voice-overs. The others were hilariously awful. The dialogue on the dubbing was completely different than the subtitles for the Korean version, and was not nearly as good. I've been watching the rest with subtitles and it is a much better show. The American actors seemed to be cartoon caricatures of what they think that kind of American is. Maybe it works better to a Korean audience reading subtitles?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #5303
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Original language audio, subtitles all the way.

I finished Squid Game this morning. I know it's a bit of a combination of Battle Royale, Saw, and the Hunger Games, but I also drew parallels to Old Boy. And that's no criticism.

Korean film and cinema is having an absolute renaissance right now and is probably the most riveting, well-written on-screen content at the moment.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #5304
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The American actors seemed to be cartoon caricatures of what they think that kind of American is. Maybe it works better to a Korean audience reading subtitles?
Agreed.

The American/English characters were the worst part of the show. Almost caricatures.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #5305
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Original language audio, subtitles all the way.

I finished Squid Game this morning. I know it's a bit of a combination of Battle Royale, Saw, and the Hunger Games, but I also drew parallels to Old Boy. And that's no criticism.

Korean film and cinema is having an absolute renaissance right now and is probably the most riveting, well-written on-screen content at the moment.
Some on here are calling it derivative, but I don't know about that.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #5306
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I’ve read the subtitles are a little off sometimes. Like they did a literal translation so you don’t get the original intent of Korean idioms or slang. Is that noticeable?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #5307
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I’ve read the subtitles are a little off sometimes. Like they did a literal translation so you don’t get the original intent of Korean idioms or slang. Is that noticeable?
It’s just very…simplified. Everything in lamens terms and reads like a children’s book.

You get the point of it, but you don’t really get the emotion out of the subtitles.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #5308
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The audio mix is so bad on many shows these days that I turn on subtitles for half the english-language shows I watch. And it seems I’m not the only one.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...itter-captions
I really have no clue what happened with audio mixing but it's gotten so freaking bad. I live in an apartment, and I pretty much can't watch movies without subtitles (especially action movies) because the music and background noise is so loud that the girl in the apartment next to me complains about the volume. On the other hand, having profound ADHD, watching with subtitles is often incredibly difficult for me.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #5309
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The audio mix is so bad on many shows these days that I turn on subtitles for half the english-language shows I watch. And it seems I’m not the only one.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...itter-captions
I've given up on trying to watch tv without the subtitles these days. It got to the point where it felt like I was playing with the volume all show, and not actually watching the show anymore. Quiet talking scene, turn it up. Flip to commercial, mute before it blows my eardrums out. Back to talking, turn it up. Flip to action scene, turn it down. Emotional resolve with soaring score in background...fuss with it. Furnace kicked on, turn everything up.

Since I've started using subtitles, I actually WATCH the show now.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #5310
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I keep the dynamic range compression at maximum at all times (nighttime mode basically). Solves a lot of the issues with hard to hear dialogue and massive changes in volume between scenes. I also give my centre speaker a little boost in volume.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #5311
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I really have no clue what happened with audio mixing but it's gotten so freaking bad.
I don’t get it either. You have actors, for whatever reason, speaking in a more naturalistic, mumbly style. And then the editing team compounds the problem by burying the already mumbly dialogue in the mix, and dialling the score up way, way high.

I don’t understand what they’re trying to achieve. Presumably they do the editing with headphones on in a totally artificial environment. That also explains shows where the lighting is so dim you can’t see what happening (ahem, GoT season 8). These guys should be testing their mixes in a replica apartment with natural light, a standard HDTV, and a $100 sound bar.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #5312
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I accidentally started watching the over-dubbed version, not really knowing what I was watching. The main guy, the old guy and the freckled girl all had decent actors doing the voice-overs. The others were hilariously awful. The dialogue on the dubbing was completely different than the subtitles for the Korean version, and was not nearly as good. I've been watching the rest with subtitles and it is a much better show. The American actors seemed to be cartoon caricatures of what they think that kind of American is. Maybe it works better to a Korean audience reading subtitles?
For those who watch a lot of Asian movies (Chinese, Korean and Japanese are the ones I've seen), it's common to have exaggerated caricatures of western characters in movies, so it wasn't as surprising for me to see
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #5313
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Watched Dave Chappelle special and wow that was the worst comedy I have ever watched.

Dave Chappelle has been my favorite comedian ever but that was just lazy bad comedy.
After seeing all the negative talk about the Dave Chappelle special I had low expectations going in, but I thought it was hilarious.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #5314
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
After seeing all the negative talk about the Dave Chappelle special I had low expectations going in, but I thought it was hilarious.
I value comedy that makes me dig into my presuppositions and think, and that's what The Closer did for me. In general, Dave Chappelle's Netflix specials are the first to do that for me since Carlin passed. I've missed it, and I have nostalgic pangs when I watch Chappelle perform...especially this and Sticks and Stones.

It's not a gutbuster type of special. Carlin's critics always appreciated the sublime level of humor while acknowledging they weren't bowled over in laughter. It wasn't a laugh a minute like Jimmy Carr, it wasn't storytelling like Mike Birbiglia, it wasn't joke crafting like Norm Macdonald, and it wasn't a hybrid like Bill Burr. It felt like attending a profound and entertaining lecture that shifted my perspective on when and how I'm living. The most memorable parts of education.

His monologue on SNL in November 2020 was outstanding for a longer list of reasons than expected, but it had this little gem that keeps ringing in my ears: "I can't even tell something true unless it has a punchline behind it. You guys aren't ready."

Dave Chappelle is working himself into the Mount Rushmore of stand-up comedy, if he isn't already there.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #5315
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I agree it was Carlin-esque from an overall style perspective, mixing comedy with life observations. The difference is that Dave Chappelle’s insights are regressive, cringe and, quite honestly, pretty stupid. There is a lot of Carlin material that really makes you think. Chappelle’s material makes me think he’s a bigot. A funny bigot but still a bigot. And super bitter.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #5316
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I agree it was Carlin-esque from an overall style perspective, mixing comedy with life observations. The difference is that Dave Chappelle’s insights are regressive, cringe and, quite honestly, pretty stupid. There is a lot of Carlin material that really makes you think. Chappelle’s material makes me think he’s a bigot. A funny bigot but still a bigot. And super bitter.
What in his comedy, or specifically this special, makes you feel that way? Honest question. What makes this bigoted? I feel that I'm an ardent ally without true perspective, so I'm always trying to understand and learn.

He conflates gender and sex in his expression, much like the community he criticizes. He owns his subconscious bigotry while jokingly disqualifying it. Codifying or stereotyping people is a default, so let's joke about it as we have every other codification and stereotype we have before. Why is that off-limit? Otherwise, I really don't understand the outrage, or the calls for hate speech condemnation.

Chappelle really made me think about privilege and civil rights. If he's a bigot, it's towards white people...which is painfully obvious in every thing he has ever done. As for bitter, this seemed like an artful cap on his Netflix contract, which is a kind of meta commentary. I loved it. I learned a lot about myself from it.

People watched and heard, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people really listened. Making jokes about a certain group is more egregious than making jokes about another. It's as if Jon Gruden existed only to prove Chappelle's point.

Space Jews received zero response. TERF identification means he's a bigot. As Chappelle asks, let's stop joking about it until we can all laugh together about it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #5317
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, Carlin wasn’t a great stand-up.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #5318
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I used to think Chapelle was funny, then he went after my thing, now I just don't know...
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #5319
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Agreed, Carlin wasn’t a great stand-up.
Of all the bad takes you've had on this forum, this is definitely top 3
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #5320
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed Click Bait. Lots of twists.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote