Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Oilers 5 Flames 2

Oilers 5 Flames 2

- McDavid with a hatty
- Smith solid in net
- Flames with 47 shots on goal but not a lot of finish
- Bounces ... likely not on their side
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:30 PM   #2
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

McDavid outplayed Johnny
Smith outplayed Markstrom
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the write up.

One thing that happened a lot last season (pre Sutter) was the top line would get hemmed in for shifts at a time. Especially on the road. As you can see with Gaudreau's possession numbers, that didn't happen. Thing is, this team may not have the finish to win even if they win the possession battle. Guess we'll see.

Not surprised by Lucic's and Tanev's numbers, neither had their best night.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:36 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
McDavid outplayed Johnny
He definitely did. That will happen 19 games out of 20, you have to win another way.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid outplayed Johnny
IDK about this

Oilers had higher quality looks IMO

The 4th goal is the only one you really could have maybe got a save. Others were bounces and PP.

What goalie has stopped the Edmonton PP?
Old 10-16-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He definitely did. That will happen 19 games out of 20, you have to win another way.
Yes that’s why we can’t have the second part.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
IDK about this

Oilers had higher quality looks IMO

The 4th goal is the only one you really could have maybe got a save. Others were bounces and PP.

What goalie has stopped the Edmonton PP?
He has to be great and he wasn’t. It’s not enough to say it’s not his fault.
Smith made the stops he needed to make

I am not saying it’s Markstrom fault but we aren’t going to win if their goalie has a better night.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:53 PM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has to be great and he wasn’t. It’s not enough to say it’s not his fault.
Smith made the stops he needed to make

I am not saying it’s Markstrom fault but we aren’t going to win if their goalie has a better night.
I guess, Smith didn't make many big ones though...Flames made it too easy on him
Old 10-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #9
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Despite the score, I didn't hate this game.

I saw a lot of good things in spite of the bad things.

The top 4 salaried forwards need to be way better than they were. They were all inconsequential. Lindholm has a knack for scoring big goals in games that he is otherwise unnoticeable.

The Zadorov, Gundbradson problem reminds me of the Engellend, Smid problem. You pretty much have to anchor Tanev with Zadorov because you can't put him with Gundbradson. They desperately need Valimaki and or Kylington to grab bigger roles.

It's only one game and they played pretty well, but this feels like a team that can't go down 2-0 and hope to have much success.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:59 PM   #10
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM, read it wrong
Old 10-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #11
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Kylington Paradox is an interesting one. On one hand he seems to have so much potential and maybe just needs some leash to put it all together, but ya... several coaches now and the same result, no leash.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #12
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
The Kylington Paradox is an interesting one. On one hand he seems to have so much potential and maybe just needs some leash to put it all together, but ya... several coaches now and the same result, no leash.
Agreed. I am starting to lose faith in this organization. When Bennett is traded for peanuts and is lighting it up in Florida (i get it, we would have lost him in expansion), the development of Kylington (and many others)and the fact we are a perennial playoff bubble team. I just don't see a light at the end of a tunnel. This organization is the definition of mediocre.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #13
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Good write up

You call out Zadorov as a whipping boy and he lived up to it. That was him that was covering Derek Ryan, and also that got walked around by Puljujarvi. He has been frighteningly bad so far

Agreed on the start and on the bounces. You can only control what you can control, and that bounce off the heel to McDavid was fortuitous and not intentional or repeatable. Definitely agree you will win most nights with a first period like that, and the play in the second was also dominated by the Flames
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #14
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Same team, same result. Andrew M. is our best player now. I’ve always loved Matt Tkackuk but I’m starting to see what others have said about him being overrated. I think this season will be no different than last season.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good write up

You call out Zadorov as a whipping boy and he lived up to it. That was him that was covering Derek Ryan, and also that got walked around by Puljujarvi. He has been frighteningly bad so far

Agreed on the start and on the bounces. You can only control what you can control, and that bounce off the heel to McDavid was fortuitous and not intentional or repeatable. Definitely agree you will win most nights with a first period like that, and the play in the second was also dominated by the Flames
Zadorov lost Puljujarvi and what makes it worse is Cody Ceci had the puck when he started to creep towards the boards. A very low threat to do anything with the puck. My guess is he was thinking big hit rather than just playing his position
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #16
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Agreed. I am starting to lose faith in this organization. When Bennett is traded for peanuts and is lighting it up in Florida (i get it, we would have lost him in expansion), the development of Kylington (and many others)and the fact we are a perennial playoff bubble team. I just don't see a light at the end of a tunnel. This organization is the definition of mediocre.
This isn't an organization issue.

It's an Oliver Kylington issue. One that I hope he sorts out.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #17
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A belated “Happy Hockey Season!” to everyone! Thanks for continuing to do “Game Takes”, Bingo. They are always done thoughtfully and really make a difference in reflecting on each game. We’re lucky to have you for many reasons, and this is a biggie. Thanks for the effort and time you put in.

A few of my thoughts:

- I loved seeing the team stick up for each other in the first period. It feels like a long time since we’ve witnessed that from the Flames. That said, it seemed like the Oilers used it to their advantage. It’s always a fine line between having a spine and being disciplined about it and that PP really took advantage.

- For the most part, I enjoyed the new guys. I really hope Sutter can mould Zadarov’s game a bit. Lewis and Gudbranson definitely added that sandpaper and played well for the most part.

- For the most part, IMO, our top players were MIA. Although, I’d consider Mangiapane to be our best forward at this point. Love his game and it’s great to see it continuing into the new season. I’m also keeping in mind that it’s the first game and it can take awhile to work out the kinks. Hope our top guys can find a rhythm and some chemistry.

- overall, I thought we showed a lot more fight than last season and were largely the better team 5 on 5. We could’ve packed it in at 3-0 and instead we showed some heart and grit. I do worry about our scoring but the effort was there for the most part.

Looking forward to seeing what we can do once the season gets rolling! GFG!
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tabaracci_31 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #18
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

^ I thought Johnny had a tough night.

He showed up and the effort was there, but he bobbled the puck often, and usually in situations where it looked a chance was developing.

That won't continue.

Thought Tkachuk was pretty good ... Lindholm pretty invisible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #19
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The team game as a whole is quite noticeably way better under Sutter. 5 on 5 the ice was tilted. I hardly noticed McDavid and Draisatl 5 on 5

If a trend develops of the top players not having an impact, then they're in trouble. If they have middle of the road special teams, then they're going to be a middle of the road team.

I also think there's something to be said about the schedule. The Oilers' full lineup has essentially played 4 games already.

The Flames sat for a week after juggling a weird pre season.

It's not fair to judge a 1 game set. 10 and 20 game evaluations will be the marker.

Last edited by sa226; 10-17-2021 at 10:30 AM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Zadorov lost Puljujarvi and what makes it worse is Cody Ceci had the puck when he started to creep towards the boards. A very low threat to do anything with the puck. My guess is he was thinking big hit rather than just playing his position
Ceci was Zadorov's man. Puljujarvi was Tanev's man. It was Tanev that got walked.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote